Derby County Versus Crewe Alexandra - Match Day Thread - ( FA Cup 1st Rd Replay )

S8TY

11 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's so easy to just blame everything on Warne. And lazy. He picked a side that should be beating Crewe comfortably, but the players didn't bring enough quality or effort, the grown adult footballers we employ should have enough professionalism to be able to perform better than that, even if the tactics are suboptimal. Warne isn't faultless, but why do we let the players off the hook? 

Can we have a snoring 😴 reaction on this forum please? 

Just awful last night.

Hourihane and Smith wanted dragging off at halftime, miles off the pace.

Baffled as to why he didn't use the academy players on the bench, some terrible performances out there - surely they couldn't be any worse?

Leaving subs so late, wasting one on a centre back and not even using one. Questions have to asked about Warnes in game management and decision making.

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

With the exception of two players, this was the same side that swept Barnsley aside just 3 days ago with possibly our most encouraging performance of the season.

It’s so difficult to compute.

Clearly a lot can be put at Warne’s door. He could have changed the game tonight and engineered a comeback. It’s very rare we do this.

But these players are also very hard to like at the moment. Even with the very best coaching, tactics and style of play, I think they would find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

I wouldn’t exactly say we swept Barnsley a side. The first half was even and we got a soft penalty. Second half we scored of 2 free kicks from wildsmith. Our defence looked more solid against Barnsley and the fact they missed a glorious chance at 2 nil down. If not for the penalty and first half ending nil nil could have been a totally different game 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our style of play relies on set pieces or the opposition giving us space to play in. Once we get a goal, the opposition leave more gaps at the back which allows us to hit them on the break and give us 1 on 1 situations

We struggle against the sides who make the middle of the pitch compact and get back into defence quickly. If we concede first, it just makes the task harder as the opposition sit deeper and deeper.

Why do we struggle against those compact defences?  Simply put, the players resort to crosses - from an inability to create through the middle and down to manager instructions. The manager takes most of the blame for that as he chooses the team. He consistently chooses the least creative midfield possible (one of which relies heavily on crossing the ball as a form of creating chances), and the way the full backs and wide attackers are set up means we have 4 players in wide positions who would rather cross the ball than play passes into the middle of the pitch.

Looking at our central players (starts only), Fornah, Hourihane and Smith combined are creating fewer non-cross open play chances per 90 than Bird. Thompson marginally leads the list, with Sibley in 3rd. Since Thompson is injured (and unlikely to play much under Warne), and Sibley preferred on the wing (if at all), we rely heavily on Bird to create against those more compact sides. Crowd Bird out of the game and the crosses are inevitable.

We scored first. Then none of the rest happened.....

Not sure were this team and PW are going as soon as we see a slight improvement we implode again,well done to Crewe who deserved there glory and to be honest should of won the first game

Losing both cup games in the 1st round must be a first, even more both at home.

I get the feeling the likes of Cashin,Bird and maybe Sibly are off come January and this could be the root of the problem, are they fully committed to Derby County or even worse in my opinion  not liking the PW way of playing.

7 Defeats already and its not December yet is worrying and we are back to were this forum was a week a so ago Warne in or Warne out.

Me i am on the fence at present but would not take much more of this to slide to the side of out

11 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I was at the game tonight.

Bizarrely, I actually thought the first half was hugely entertaining with both goalies making great saves as well as the goals.

Second half was dire.

In my opinion, Crewe were significantly better than the previous 3 League 1 teams we’ve played at home……but we were very poor in the second half.

I’m not a massive Warne fan but can’t really blame him for tonight - there WERE lots of crosses, most of them terrible, but there was also play on the floor through midfield, which was also sometimes terrible.

Warne didn’t underhit any passes, overhit any crosses, put 3 consecutive crosses into the goalie’s hands or jib out of any headers in midfield. 

I’m a big fan of Fozzy but he deserved to be hooked, as did Smith and Hourihane - so can’t really complain there.

As for the Bradley sub - again, I’m not a massive fan but it was to go 3 at the back to chuck more players up front…..actually an attacking sub.

I’ve blamed Warne for losses this season but I agreed with his RD interview…..just didn’t play well enough and congrats to Crewe.

Now let’s go and sign some of their players in Jan.

This is a new one on me so we go to 3 at the back when 3 - 1 down to get more players up front. How does that work when we have an extra defender and if you’re suggesting because we put 2 up front when we already had 3 by playing the 433. Why not chuck weston on for one of the midfielders and move to a 442 like we did at Crewe and have him off the shoulder stretching teams and the energy to press. Thought he did well last week and deserves at least 30 minutes considering we had 12 fit players from the first team and he scored and assisted. 

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Didn’t take long for some to conveniently forget that Saturday happened. Barnsley cannot be ignored, our best performance under Warne  and off the back of two positive performances at home. Since Stevenage there has been a marked improvement. 

Last night was awful. I took a Crewe fan to the game (who probably wishes he was in the away end and not around grumbling miserable Derby fans). Players were nowhere near at the same intensity, everything was slow. It happens sometimes in the cup, in the grand scheme I’d rather that last night against Crewe in the cup than against Bristol. We should draw a line under it and move on. 

That being said while majority of blame for last night lies with the players, Warne needs to utilise his squad better. Playing the same team practically from Saturday with some old players in there, it was always a challenge. Although maybe the likes of Robinson would be in there if not called up.

As for Louis Sibley - he can’t be defended any more. He has chance after chance and never grabs it. There is a reason no manager has played him regularly since Cocu. He has skill and finishing ability but completely lacks any football intelligence, he’s not going to be the player we thought (I certainly hoped) he would be and he needs to move for the sake of his career. 

Spot on. He just does not improve. The excuses of not playing regular or out of position is wearing thin and does not excuse a complete lack of footballing brain,  for someone who has played the game from a tiny kid

47 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Saturday was okay we scored 2 goals off long free kicks but you’ve got to score them somehow. The other a soft penalty. Still didn’t like our overall play but when you win who cares. When you don’t win then this is what is looked at. What really annoys me more than anything with warne is his inability to change a game when it’s not going his way. Also what is the point of a cat 1 academy if the manager doesn’t at least throw them in a cup game when we have 12 senior players who played 3 days earlier. At least Rooney and Rosenior would have chucked them in. 

if I was an academy prospect I’d look at other teams than derby with the current set up as with this manager I don’t see a pathway to the first team 

99% agree with you. Just think your assessment of “OK” for Saturday is a bit harsh. Yes, the penalty was a tad soft and two goals were scored from long free kicks but, we created a few other chances (the fine tackle on Barks as he was through in the penalty area, Barks miss when one on one with the keeper and Sibley hitting the bar spring to mind). You also have to take into account the opposition. Agreed Barnsley weren’t at their best but maybe a lot of that was down to us containing them. One swallow doesn’t make a summer though and I won’t be happy until we’re regularly producing that sort of form and result. 

I also agree regarding the academy prospects. I think PW was right to go with a relatively strong team and might well have brought one or two on if we’d been in a comfortable position. As it was, it seems he was too afraid to give the youngsters a try but instead opted for bringing Bradley on. 

10 minutes ago, popside ossie end popside said:

Spot on. He just does not improve. The excuses of not playing regular or out of position is wearing thin and does not excuse a complete lack of footballing brain,  for someone who has played the game from a tiny kid

But he is played out of position. If only Warne would play him regularly as fullback when we had that long unbeaten run last season. That'll show them.

There have been stats provided, numbers you can't argue with showing how little Sibley plays but how well he does with the minimum time he gets. But better to just say at 22 he's a busted flush.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

99% agree with you. Just think your assessment of “OK” for Saturday is a bit harsh. Yes, the penalty was a tad soft and two goals were scored from long free kicks but, we created a few other chances (the fine tackle on Barks as he was through in the penalty area, Barks miss when one on one with the keeper and Sibley hitting the bar spring to mind). You also have to take into account the opposition. Agreed Barnsley weren’t at their best but maybe a lot of that was down to us containing them. One swallow doesn’t make a summer though and I won’t be happy until we’re regularly producing that sort of form and result. 

I also agree regarding the academy prospects. I think PW was right to go with a relatively strong team and might well have brought one or two on if we’d been in a comfortable position. As it was, it seems he was too afraid to give the youngsters a try but instead opted for bringing Bradley on. 

It’s a cup game he regularly say he doesn’t like 3 games a week we played last Saturday Wednesday Saturday and then last night. Why not mix it up mainly first team players and sprinkle some academy lads in. Fatepu looked a player he could have started with smith. To not bring Weston on was criminal when we were chasing a game how do you chase a game by bringing Bradley on who’s not looked like the player we thought we were getting apart from the Northampton game. 

how many times in the championship were we winning 1 nil and with 10 minutes to go we bought on academy players. Kaide Gordon vs Birmingham’s ebiowe plange. We still had first team players when we went into admin but we have a cat 1 academy for a reason and it’s about time warne started to trust these players. No one is saying chuck them in from the start or get them all in. But at least get 1 or 2 ready with 10 minutes to go if not 20. Darren Robinson being chased by Southampton and whoever else is not going to look at derby in current form and sign a new deal. 

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

What an enlightened post, as per usual.

Cheers I feel like most of my posts are. I just can’t be dealing with every week of your love In for warne even when gets things wrong and just blame the players. How about a bit of blaming them both 

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But he is played out of position. If only Warne would play him regularly as fullback when we had that long unbeaten run last season. That'll show them.

There have been stats provided, numbers you can't argue with showing how little Sibley plays but how well he does with the minimum time he gets. But better to just say at 22 he's a busted flush.

Unfortunately for sibley he just doesn’t take his opportunities when started but turns up when coming on as a sub. The longer this continues that’s all he’s gonna get 

11 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I was at the game tonight.

Bizarrely, I actually thought the first half was hugely entertaining with both goalies making great saves as well as the goals.

Second half was dire.

In my opinion, Crewe were significantly better than the previous 3 League 1 teams we’ve played at home……but we were very poor in the second half.

I’m not a massive Warne fan but can’t really blame him for tonight - there WERE lots of crosses, most of them terrible, but there was also play on the floor through midfield, which was also sometimes terrible.

Warne didn’t underhit any passes, overhit any crosses, put 3 consecutive crosses into the goalie’s hands or jib out of any headers in midfield. 

I’m a big fan of Fozzy but he deserved to be hooked, as did Smith and Hourihane - so can’t really complain there.

As for the Bradley sub - again, I’m not a massive fan but it was to go 3 at the back to chuck more players up front…..actually an attacking sub.

I’ve blamed Warne for losses this season but I agreed with his RD interview…..just didn’t play well enough and congrats to Crewe.

Now let’s go and sign some of their players in Jan.

I said this in the match thread …we should be pursuing some of there youngsters …no excuses they won’t cost a packet …let’s have some foresight and actually get a couple of good young untried players and then with some good coaching!!! 🤔Oh hang on??? This I’m afraid is where I think the cunning plan falls apart … might teach them how to run I guess lol 

41 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Not sure were this team and PW are going as soon as we see a slight improvement we implode again,well done to Crewe who deserved there glory and to be honest should of won the first game

Losing both cup games in the 1st round must be a first, even more both at home.

I get the feeling the likes of Cashin,Bird and maybe Sibly are off come January and this could be the root of the problem, are they fully committed to Derby County or even worse in my opinion  not liking the PW way of playing.

7 Defeats already and its not December yet is worrying and we are back to were this forum was a week a so ago Warne in or Warne out.

Me i am on the fence at present but would not take much more of this to slide to the side of out

I never thought about writing of the current teams capabilities but am thinking that it is time to say that we are just no good.

And where has the pride gone in this team,do we not play at "Pride Park"anymore

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

There will, doubtless, be the usual OTT comments all over "social media". It's the Cup. Shocks, both great and small, happen.

1968. 2nd division Derby drew 0-0 away against 1st division Chelsea in the League Cup. Beat them 3-1 in the return.
Drew 0-0 away at Everton and beat them 1-0 in the return.
Then drew 0-0 at home to 3rd division Swindon and then lost the return 1-0.
Swindon went on to beat Arsenal 3-1 at Wembley in the final.

Indeed they do. What also seems to be happening quite a bit is we keep churning out poor performances. Especially after we think we’ve turned a corner.

18 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I said this in the match thread …we should be pursuing some of there youngsters …no excuses they won’t cost a packet …let’s have some foresight and actually get a couple of good young untried players and then with some good coaching!!! 🤔Oh hang on??? This I’m afraid is where I think the cunning plan falls apart … might teach them how to run I guess lol 

We are gonna be like stoke from the pulls era if he has another few windows but just run a bit more. Loan in Liam Delap next season and hope he has his fathers long throw for set pieces 

Edited by Barney1991

16 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Unfortunately for sibley he just doesn’t take his opportunities when started but turns up when coming on as a sub. The longer this continues that’s all he’s gonna get 

Over the past 5 weeks, he has 2 goals and 2 assists from the 5 games he started.

See my post from last night.

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Notts County - 90 mins played (mostly on the wings), 2 goals

Shrewsbury - 90 mins played (RW)

Exeter - 71 mins (AM)

Stevenage - 45 mins (AM), 1 assist

Northampton - not used

Crewe - 11 mins (AM), 1 assist

Barnsley - 5 mins (CF)

Crewe - 59 mins (RW), 1 assist

That's 2 goals and 3 assists in just 371 minutes over the past 5 weeks.

He started 4 games in a row (2 goals and an assist), yet HE'S the problem (!!!) so needs to be brought off at half time shortly after assisting our equaliser - we failed to score in the 2nd half. Dropped to the bench in the following game and not even used. 2 more assists in the following 75 minutes on the pitch (spread over 3 games), but he'll no doubt be back on the bench against Bristol.

Sibley has to play well every game, or he is subbed off and dropped the first time he 'plays badly'. Thompson can play well every game but still won't start unless we have an injury crisis. Hourihane and Smith can be poor in several consecutive games but still start next week.