TV Repeatedly Apologising For Bad Language At Live Football Matches

ram59

I am getting fed up with TV commentators repeatedly apologising for bad language picked up on the mics at live football matches.

Normal tv programs are preceded with warnings saying that this program contains bad language, sexual scenes, violence, etc, etc. They don't have someone talking over the dialogue to apologise, every time an actor swears during a program.

It is a live sporting event, people should expect to hear swearing, as they expect to see violence in a John Wick film.

Surely one visual and audible warning preceding the match, should suffice?

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

I am getting fed up with TV commentators repeatedly apologising for bad language picked up on the mics at live football matches.

Normal tv programs are preceded with warnings saying that this program contains bad language, sexual scenes, violence, etc, etc. They don't have someone talking over the dialogue to apologise, every time an actor swears during a program.

It is a live sporting event, people should expect to hear swearing, as they expect to see violence in a John Wick film.

Have you not seen Martin Scorsese's Badfellas, specially ruined for TV version? 

17 minutes ago, SKRam said:

And most of the time I’ve not heard anything. Then they apologise and you start listening for it. Agreed, crazy 

I think they should lean into it more.

"The away fans there launched into a version of hi-ho silver lining but it now references former player who they do indeed, want to f*** off"

"I don't think that one needs our interprretation, we can all agree that patrick bamford is a bamford"

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think they should lean into it more.

"The away fans there launched into a version of hi-ho silver lining but it now references former player who they do indeed, want to f*** off"

"I don't think that one needs our interprretation, we can all agree that patrick bamford is a bamford"

That’s a point!

Shouldn’t the commentator apologise every time he mentions Bamford during the commo? 🤣

*Yes, is the answer! 👀

On 06/11/2023 at 18:53, ram59 said:

I agree to an extent however, the type of TV programmes that require such a warning are not generally watched by children whereas football could be. Also, including an apology in a commentary of a football match isn’t quite the same as interrupting the dialogue in a TV show or film.

The apologies issued don’t bother me but they also serve no purpose (in my opinion). The bad language still occurred and anyone offended by it (or watching with children who they’d rather didn’t hear it) are not likely to think “we’ll that’s OK then. They apologised”.

I started taking my daughter to Pride Park last season and it was her first exposure to some seriously colourful language thanks to the lads sat behind us. They were very apologetic, although that didn't actually stop them doing it which I found amusing.

This isn't a moan, I absolutely do not expect the entire football matchday to be sanitised on behalf of my daughter, and she just found it funny. I'd assume most people watching on the TV have a similar attitude.

13 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

The apologies issued don’t bother me but they also serve no purpose (in my opinion). The bad language still occurred and anyone offended by it (or watching with children who they’d rather didn’t hear it) are not likely to think “we’ll that’s OK then. They apologised”.

The TV company would probably be in trouble with Ofcom if they didn't apologise for bad langauge before the watershed. Same as any other live TV or Radio broadcast - and there are probably written rules about it.

They should just not have microphones so close to fans. It didn't used to be a problem.

On 09/11/2023 at 09:29, Wolfie said:

The TV company would probably be in trouble with Ofcom if they didn't apologise for bad langauge before the watershed. Same as any other live TV or Radio broadcast - and there are probably written rules about it.

They should just not have microphones so close to fans. It didn't used to be a problem.

That's exactly why they do it.  CYA measures.  They've done on the current Cricket World Cup a few times when the stump mics picked up some colourful language.  I find it funny - the swearing, not the apologies: they're annoying.