January Reinforcements

sage

57 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I made a similar point yesterday.  If he’s rated so highly, at least L2 clubs would want him.  And throwing him in should Collins get injured could potentially destroy him.  Imagine if we get booed off at half-time on his debut, like Saturday.  Whilst they wouldn’t be aimed at him, mentally it would affect him.

He didn't go to L2 so we could recall him if necessary. Imagine if we put him on and played three in midfield and he scored a couple, then Weston came on a scored. Imagine that! #COYR

26 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Like everyone else I'm disappointed that we couldn't get a striker over the line, but all this talk about the worst ever transfer window needs to be put into context.

Since the start of the window we have signed Nyambe, who we all feared would be on his bike. We did sign a striker in TJJ, who's fitness would have been assessed by the club or we could have let him go back to Arsenal spend the money on Smith only for him to possibly pick up an injury. Statistically, CBT seems to be an exciting signing which could go a long way to preventing burnout in players like NML. Likewise, Adams will hopefully give the midfield a boost.

Crucially we feared losing Cashin and/or. Bird for the run in, which hasn't happened. The extra money from Bird will go into the summer transfer pot.

Hopefully, we will soon see Washington and Waggy back and Brown benefiting from some adult game time when he returns.

I think that we were one, admittedly important, signing away from a good transfer window, but it could have been so much worse.

]

26 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Like everyone else I'm disappointed that we couldn't get a striker over the line, but all this talk about the worst ever transfer window needs to be put into context.

Since the start of the window we have signed Nyambe, who we all feared would be on his bike. We did sign a striker in TJJ, who's fitness would have been assessed by the club or we could have let him go back to Arsenal spend the money on Smith only for him to possibly pick up an injury. Statistically, CBT seems to be an exciting signing which could go a long way to preventing burnout in players like NML. Likewise, Adams will hopefully give the midfield a boost.

Crucially we feared losing Cashin and/or. Bird for the run in, which hasn't happened. The extra money from Bird will go into the summer transfer pot.

Hopefully, we will soon see Washington and Waggy back and Brown benefiting from some adult game time when he returns.

I think that we were one, admittedly important, signing away from a good transfer window, but it could have been so much worse.

Okay the Bird money going in to the summer pot. But the league next season will be stronger. 

All 3 relegated teams will be up there, 5 of the current top 8 will be up there, Wrexham with their wonga and then the likes of Wigan and Reading if they get their acts together. IMO any funds would've been better spent yesterday at least partly to see if we can go up and avoid the royal rumble of next season. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So when the owner made his statement that he thought we had a competitive budget, do you think he was naive or duplicitous?

If DC believes that the budget this season was and is "enough to get out of this league" then why should we expect it to suddenly step upwards in the summer?

Surely it's the utilisation of the available budget that's the issue here?

He’s made a statement about budget. Potentially it’s naive as clearly while there is a budget it’s restrictive, as demonstrated by the CBT transfer. At least in terms of transfer fees we can’t go and get the young talents our rivals are able to sign. And we can’t escape a fair chunk of our “competitive” budget is used up by players not signed by Warne, and either past it in the eyes of some (Hourihane) or surplus to requirements currently (Smith) 

Pretty sure Warne has said a few times this month he wants a striker, is in for a few but wasnt overly confident we would get one so the signs were there.

As for Smith & Gregory, just because they were the names that came our from the Sheffield end it does not mean they were our main targets or even our only targets. Adams said he knew of our interest over a mo th ago but at no point was his name in the media until hours before he signed. So im sure there were other strikers we went in for but havent made the media.

If anyone thinks our whole Jan was us fixated on Smith & Gregory are clearly clueless on how transfers work. I can guarentee that DC, SP, MT, PW & staff will all be annoyed we havent managed to bring one in but there will be reasons why thats happened.

However, we have managed to strengthen other key areas so its not like the whole window is a failure.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I mean aside from your own opinions of him Warne certainly wanted him in summer. I have doubts but our manager wanted him so much he got him out of a contract. 

His injury record does make me question this one but he’s done a job for him in the past. I actually thought he was starting to look really good then he gets injured. We need him to make a contribution now and if he stays fit (my tongue in cheek opinions aside) at this level he can do a decent job. We need him to in the run in 

15 minutes ago, Sheepinthedales said:

I don't think it's the worst transfer window ever but I think there is a bit of evidence, and a whole lot of assumption, that we might see this as a missed opportunity come May.

This is based on the perception that teams around us have strengthened. Yes they have added bodies but only results are a true metric of strengthened. There is also Warnes words about last January still ringing which for reasons to be told seem to have happened again. Thirdly, the league is so incredibly open and it seems these teams around us are looking at this season as their best chance in recent times. When stevenage have a realistic chance of the play offs, you can see the logic.

I don't think we'll make top 2 purely because after half a season, we've not been in there at all and we seem to be extracting every ounce of quality as is from a team which looks to be blowing from every orifice with 3 months of the season to go. However, I'd expect heads to roll, particularly bald ones, if we fail to win, let alone make, the play offs

Yep I don’t think it’s the worst window ever but I’m trying not to be critical of posters who are maybe going over the top and or using it as a stick to beat warne and every bugger else including the owner ,, simply because I get the frustration and also we are all desperate for derby to rise again and there’s a bit of me that wants to throw the toys out of the pram , I think some predictable mistakes have been made that put us at risk by not having the cover needed in the most important area 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

People keep talking about Brown. He wasn’t ready. If he was ready there’s be a list as long as our arm of league 2 and even lower end league 1 clubs trying to get him on loan. He’s an exciting prospect but that’s all he is right now and was never going to be given a real first team role this season. 

TJJ what can I say, I was expecting it unfortunately. Seems to have no luck but Warne was rarely playing him on his own up top. More often he was playing him with Collins which meant we surrender the midfield. This will at least force him to play 1 up top which gives us more midfield. 

It's not Brown's technical or physcial abilities which are stopping him from being L1 ready. The groundwork should have been laid for him months ago, which could have been the difference between him being ready to step up to start the odd game for us in the league now.

Waghorn and Washington have both been out since October and there was a 4 week gap between John-Jules making his first appearance since September. We sort of did... he got 45 minutes playing with Collins in the Wolves U21 game when he would have been better paired with a creative player - even Weston, Allen or Wheeldon would have been a better choice (instead of Collins) to see what he was actually capable of. He then got 15 minutes as a late sub (again paired with Collins) against Northampton and only 1 minute since - he didn't even get a run out in the other EFL Trophy games since then. That was the 3-0 win over Fleetwood and the dysmal dispaly against Bradford.

If he was given more game time to ease him into life as a Derby first team player, we would have been able to make a fairer judgement on if he's capable of playing a few games for us this month or not. It's not as if John-Jules has done much of note since his last goal (he played in 10 games since)

1 hour ago, simmoram1995 said:

Let’s just see what happens. Put  it this way if we c*** up and don’t make the playoffs, I can see Warne going plus a massive restructuring plan Pearce and Oxford man going.

Itk? 

17 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

]

Okay the Bird money going in to the summer pot. But the league next season will be stronger. 

All 3 relegated teams will be up there, 5 of the current top 8 will be up there, Wrexham with their wonga and then the likes of Wigan and Reading if they get their acts together. IMO any funds would've been better spent yesterday at least partly to see if we can go up and avoid the royal rumble of next season. 

When you realise we have money in the pot for the summer but you realise warne Pearce and Thomas are doing the transfers 

Shocked Baby GIF

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's not Brown's technical or physcial abilities which are stopping him from being L1 ready. The groundwork should have been laid for him months ago, which could have been the difference between him being ready to step up to start the odd game for us in the league now.

Waghorn and Washington have both been out since October and there was a 4 week gap between John-Jules making his first appearance since September. We sort of did... he got 45 minutes playing with Collins in the Wolves U21 game when he would have been better paired with a creative player - even Weston, Allen or Wheeldon would have been a better choice (instead of Collins) to see what he was actually capable of. He then got 15 minutes as a late sub (again paired with Collins) against Northampton and only 1 minute since - he didn't even get a run out in the other EFL Trophy games since then. That was the 3-0 win over Fleetwood and the dysmal dispaly against Bradford.

If he was given more game time to ease him into life as a Derby first team player, we would have been able to make a fairer judgement on if he's capable of playing a few games for us this month or not. It's not as if John-Jules has done much of note since his last goal (he played in 10 games since)

As I say , I think the tjj fiasco has been a right royal duck up it also plays a part in our younger lads perhaps not being looked at or prepped enough , I could get it if tjj was our player but he wasn’t 

The real issue is the summer signings were generally poor. If we’d signed the right strikers in the summer (young, injury free) we wouldn’t be desperate for a striker now. I don’t believe there was not any up and coming and affordable strikers in the lower divisions for us to have gone for. The Rams scouting system has been a problem for years.

11 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

]

In an ideal world, we would have had yesterday's offer for Bird, put in at the start of the transfer window, the we could have  spent it on a striker. But unfortunately we can't dictate when other clubs decide to do their business. 

Also, the club made it clear that they offered Bird a new contract, but he decided not to accept. Once in this position, the club decided to accept what they believed to be a good offer.

This deal appears to have been inflated by interest from Hull, but unfortunately not early enough.

45 minutes ago, Spanish said:

interested to know the basis for how much you think that the independent tribunal would have valued him at. 

Bristol don't need him currently so hopefully have paid up in order to stop a bidding war in the summer.  There so many things I don't understand.  Why sell him now, why loan him back, why do we need the money now, if Bristol  think there will be a bidding war why didn't we just hang on?  I currently can think of nothing that makes this a good deal, perhaps someone else can suggest something

There wouldn’t be a bidding war in the summer because Bird could just leave and we would get the financial compo award. 

A quick Goole on “How to work out development compensation for EFL players “ gives you the formula. I’m an old dinosaur so unable to copy the link . 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

This as with other youngsters

Just now, Reggie Greenwood said:

There wouldn’t be a bidding war in the summer because Bird could just leave and we would get the financial compo award. 

A quick Goole on “How to work out development compensation for EFL players “ gives you the formula. I’m an old dinosaur so unable to copy the link . 

Probably be looking at 800k to a million maybe at a guess. If we have got the 2 million people on here have said plus a loan back I think that’s great business. Our main aim moving forward needs to be about getting the age of the squad down. A lot of the older players are leaving this summer so a chance to do so 

22 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

]

Agree - L 1 will be much stronger next year. But the Bird money will be swallowed up by our £6 million a year losses.Is this January window worse than last year ? Probably about the same .

Well, I can't tell you how furious I was last night. I felt let down, misled and angry but now is the time to move on, and get behind the players we have. There's no point at all, giving up on promotion, and moaning about our lack of depth, the hierarchy at the club, the transfer strategy, the scouting department or even the owner. 

This has nothing to do with where we've come from in the last couple of years, that doesn't get you a free pass ad infinitum. The club need to look at what went wrong because they clearly had a plan and for whatever reason we came up short but there's nothing to be gained at this point, by singling out people for blame, we have to grab this league by the b**locks and forget what we haven't got.

Just one final point. I am somewhere in the middle on Paul Warne, I'm sure that he's a great bloke to know, but sometimes he gas to realise when to shut the f*** up. A lot of the feelings at the moment are down to him spouting off about what we want to do in the transfer window, just play it cool mate, tell the fans stuff on a need to know basis, lower expectations a little.

Anyway, come on you Rams, let's get the show on the road.