January Reinforcements

sage

We clearly didn’t have the money to compete with other rival clubs for transfers, that or we refused to pay over the odds for Smith or Gregory. Selling Bird wasn’t in the plan unless we got a good offer which we did and we’ve got him for the season, I would hope we can use that money in the summer.

How in any way is this down to Warne?. People will say Ward Bradley Fornah (although most were supportive of those transfers at the time), I will raise you Hourihane Smith Collins Mendez Laing Barkhuizen who I would bet any money will be in the top 5-10 earners at the club, none signed by Warne and of them people only want Mendez (although I also like Collo). However it is dressed up we’re still being restricted by an EFL business plan. We should hopefully have wriggle room in the summer (unless this really is the limit of Clowes spending in which case we potentially have some issues).

They tried but ultimately we go with what we’ve got. Overall we’re stronger than when we started the window. Washington just needs stay fit and be our second striker to Collo. In fairness he was starting to look good when he got injured.

You’d be fools to write us off. I remember 2015 January window, we were top 2 and signed Bent Ince Lingard De Sart and we were thinking what a window we’ve just nailed promotion. Look how that turned out - we didn’t even make the playoffs!

Disappointing to not get a striker in but to put some perspective on the window. Our squad is stronger than before it was open. We have another wide option to take the strain off NML. We have a combative horrible midfielder. 

thats 2 out of the 3 targets fans all agreed we needed. 

We also guaranteed decent money without going down the tribunal route for Bird without losing him and weakening the midfield. 

I think the negative reaction is down to not getting a striker but if Wash is back training and Collins stays fit then we’ve got a striker with 18 goals + Warnes first choice striker as our 2 options. 

Would have loved an Ennis or Smith to tide us over but they only became crucial because of an injury list. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Disappointing to not get a striker in but to put some perspective on the window. Our squad is stronger than before it was open. We have another wide option to take the strain off NML. We have a combative horrible midfielder. 

thats 2 out of the 3 targets fans all agreed we needed. 

We also guaranteed decent money without going down the tribunal route for Bird without losing him and weakening the midfield. 

I think the negative reaction is down to not getting a striker but if Wash is back training and Collins stays fit then we’ve got a striker with 18 goals + Warnes first choice striker as our 2 options. 

Would have loved an Ennis or Smith to tide us over but they only became crucial because of an injury list. 

We entered January with Collins, John-Jules and Brown as CF options and ended it woth just 1 of them available 

Ebou Adams was brought in to cover Bird position wearing our team when we are often losing the midfielder battle.

The teams become weaker.

Its not as if Ebou Adams was even a primary pick, hes come on loan.

How many loan players have worked out for us in recent years.

Adams was signed as the club knew Bird was being sold on.

Adams was signed not to improve the squad but for cover.

Adams club moved him on because he wasn't getting game time. He was a failure at the African nations club, checked his stats for that.

We are hoping the club's trying for promotion.

We know we are not looking great against weaker teams, tactically we look poor.

I think teams around us have strengthend.

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We clearly didn’t have the money to compete with other rival clubs for transfers, that or we refused to pay over the odds for Smith or Gregory. Selling Bird wasn’t in the plan unless we got a good offer which we did and we’ve got him for the season, I would hope we can use that money in the summer.

How in any way is this down to Warne?. People will say Ward Bradley Fornah (although most were supportive of those transfers at the time), I will raise you Hourihane Smith Collins Mendez Laing Barkhuizen who I would bet any money will be in the top 5-10 earners at the club, none signed by Warne and of them people only want Mendez (although I also like Collo). However it is dressed up we’re still being restricted by an EFL business plan. We should hopefully have wriggle room in the summer (unless this really is the limit of Clowes spending in which case we potentially have some issues).

They tried but ultimately we go with what we’ve got. Overall we’re stronger than when we started the window. Washington just needs stay fit and be our second striker to Collo. In fairness he was starting to look good when he got injured.

You’d be fools to write us off. I remember 2015 January window, we were top 2 and signed Bent Ince Lingard De Sart and we were thinking what a window we’ve just nailed promotion. Look how that turned out - we didn’t even make the playoffs!

No, I'm not having sensible comments like this.

It's one of the rules of the forum that when the transfer window comes around and we don't sign the player(s) a fellow poster wants (irrespective of whether we can afford said player(s) or not), we must stamp our feet and have a hissy fit!

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We entered January with Collins, John-Jules and Brown as CF options and ended it woth just 1 of them available 

People keep talking about Brown. He wasn’t ready. If he was ready there’s be a list as long as our arm of league 2 and even lower end league 1 clubs trying to get him on loan. He’s an exciting prospect but that’s all he is right now and was never going to be given a real first team role this season. 

TJJ what can I say, I was expecting it unfortunately. Seems to have no luck but Warne was rarely playing him on his own up top. More often he was playing him with Collins which meant we surrender the midfield. This will at least force him to play 1 up top which gives us more midfield. 

Warne has been saying we want a striker...and we haven't got one, yet it's his fault that we haven't signed one.

It clearly isn't his responsibility. But fans are twisting it so its his football that is the issue? What ?...his team a few points from automatic promotion is the issue?

Seriously,  blame him for lots of other stuff. But clearly our financial situation is the issue and/or our recruitment team.

Other fans are blaming Clowes, forgetting he's already £50 or £60milion down? Really poor attitude.

It's disappointing.  But, a bit of realism wouldn't go amiss. 

We end the window stronger than we started it. Players to come back.

I'd prefer to see what happens,  listen to the explanation and the plan now, but toys are out the pram as per I see.

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

People keep talking about Brown. He wasn’t ready. If he was ready there’s be a list as long as our arm of league 2 and even lower end league 1 clubs trying to get him on loan. He’s an exciting prospect but that’s all he is right now and was never going to be given a real first team role this season. 

TJJ what can I say, I was expecting it unfortunately. Seems to have no luck but Warne was rarely playing him on his own up top. More often he was playing him with Collins which meant we surrender the midfield. This will at least force him to play 1 up top which gives us more midfield. 

Have no fear, Super Conor Wash is back on the grass, Northern Ireland’s and League one’s answer to Messi……David Nugent I mean (always crocked and can’t hit a barn door)

I agree with you Brown definitely isn’t ready. 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

In a time-sensitive situation, absolutely. In ordinary circumstances, absolutely not.

There must be some room for manoeuvre though? Warne spent the last few days sniffing around Sheffield Wednesday for 2 ageing strikers. 

You’re telling me there wasn’t anyone available from the PL academies down to League 2 with Scotland in between?

I get the frustrations at Pearce but Warne for me is a stubborn mule when it comes to recruiting and now it’s bitten us big time. 

Another anti climax with Warne and the total fraud Pearce at the helm, shock horror.

There is no way on this planet a club 4th in the league, with the facilities and fanbase in L1 we cannot get in a half decent forward on loan.

Get Warne, Pearce and Co gone the second we fail again this season, use the Bird or better still the Knight money if needs be to pay them off.

Never even replaced Mcgoldrick so f*** knows why I expected someone to come in to help Collins.

25 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Have no fear, Super Conor Wash is back on the grass, Northern Ireland’s and League one’s answer to Messi……David Nugent I mean (always crocked and can’t hit a barn door)

I agree with you Brown definitely isn’t ready. 

I mean aside from your own opinions of him Warne certainly wanted him in summer. I have doubts but our manager wanted him so much he got him out of a contract. 

Problem is that between Collins, Washington, TJJ and Waghorn we really ought to have enough striking options. Perhaps the problem has been re signing JJ which we knew was a risk, perhaps there would have been enough left to get something done if we hadn't.

We needed a striker, that is plain and simple, and we failed to do so. But it's not like the club haven't backed the team financially. We play 1 up front and we had 4 strikers. I think the TJJ gamble did not pay off and we were left scrambling basically

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We clearly didn’t have the money to compete with other rival clubs for transfers.....

We should hopefully have wriggle room in the summer (unless this really is the limit of Clowes spending in which case we potentially have some issues).

They tried but ultimately we go with what we’ve got. Overall we’re stronger than when we started the window. 

So when the owner made his statement that he thought we had a competitive budget, do you think he was naive or duplicitous?

If DC believes that the budget this season was and is "enough to get out of this league" then why should we expect it to suddenly step upwards in the summer?

Surely it's the utilisation of the available budget that's the issue here?

People wanted a striker younger than 30, capable of outscoring 18 goal Collins, who would bring more play into the team and because of our financial position they would need to be either free or little cost. 

Anyone close to the above is either way out of price range (ie Langstaff) or has already been snapped up by the league above us. The fact that a player like Will Osula is getting regular prem game time shows how few exceptional strikers are out there right now. 

We have got to where we are in the league with the current attackers. Where we are faltering in recent games was down to the midfield and Warne has addressed that. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I made a similar point yesterday.  If he’s rated so highly, at least L2 clubs would want him.  And throwing him in should Collins get injured could potentially destroy him.  Imagine if we get booed off at half-time on his debut, like Saturday.  Whilst they wouldn’t be aimed at him, mentally it would affect him.