January Reinforcements

sage

On 19/12/2023 at 08:42, valakari said:

Michael Smith at Sheff Wed or Lukas Jutkeiwicz at Brum.

Never starts for them. Rarely picked at all...better than Collins, especially from crosses!!

How would we know if he’s better than Collins? Thursday night he had one decent piece of service and bagged. Every other cross delivered was cleared or went 10 yards over his head. Unless Juke is 17 ft tall he isn’t scoring from them crosses either. 

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I still think he’s downplaying expectations, a couple of sensible signings to strengthen the midfield and attack, ideally keep hold of Cashin (probably on loan) and Bird until the summer where we’ll be sure of our promotion and can sign Bird to a new deal whilst wishing Cash well on his premier league adventure 

Agreed. Assuming Cashin and Bird at least see out the season with us, if we only bring in 2 players, providing they are 'starters' then that potentially could make the difference between play-offs and automatic promotion. On that basis I would go for another striker and a midfielder capable of dictating the pace of a game. Like every other poster, I have no idea what the budget will be and which players are available but Al-Hamadi looks interesting but may well go to a Championship club.

12 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

How would we know if he’s better than Collins? Thursday night he had one decent piece of service and bagged. Every other cross delivered was cleared or went 10 yards over his head. Unless Juke is 17 ft tall he isn’t scoring from them crosses either. 

There was alot of crosses that went near post from Ward...Collins didn't get across the defender...the timing of his runs is nowhere near..unfortunately..

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

We might do if we also get the loan-back agreement we were insisting on back in September, and then sign the players who'll improve our general play and goalscoring capability?

Not so sure about a loan back. The move has been earned. Just coast to the end of the season without getting injured.

10 hours ago, valakari said:

There was alot of crosses that went near post from Ward...Collins didn't get across the defender...the timing of his runs is nowhere near..unfortunately..

collins works extremely hard and can score,but is so wasteful,he hardly ever beats a defender,whether in the air,or on the floor,and needs fitting with a tracker to know where he is.we need better

On 23/12/2023 at 12:48, Caerphilly Ram said:

I still think he’s downplaying expectations, a couple of sensible signings to strengthen the midfield and attack, ideally keep hold of Cashin (probably on loan) and Bird until the summer where we’ll be sure of our promotion and can sign Bird to a new deal whilst wishing Cash well on his premier league adventure 

What is it that you see as so compelled to keep hold of Bird ?

Not the best tackler and doesn't score many ...two attributes that would be nice surely in a CM 

38 minutes ago, S8TY said:

What is it that you see as so compelled to keep hold of Bird ?

Not the best tackler and doesn't score many ...two attributes that would be nice surely in a CM 

Something as simple as liking him as a character as much as a player 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’m a paid up member of the Max Bird fan club. I think he’s a good footballer and has an impact on games that’s maybe not as tangible as his statistical output, we’ve struggled in his absence when injured the last couple of seasons. And as I’ve said before on here I think he’s an admirable young man having lost his dad so young he shows a level head and emotional maturity in the way he comes across. 

I’d rather we keep Max Bird at the club, then in the summer thank the likes of Korey Smith and Conor Hourihane for playing their part in the resurrection of the club and wish them well in their careers as we sign shiny new players to play alongside Bird, Fornah and Thompson in our midfield. 

That’s just my silly little idealist views of football though, sell him to Hull or Birmingham in Jan who clearly don’t know enough about football for wanting to sign a player who doesn’t score or tackle….

40 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Something as simple as liking him as a character as much as a player 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’m a paid up member of the Max Bird fan club. I think he’s a good footballer and has an impact on games that’s maybe not as tangible as his statistical output, we’ve struggled in his absence when injured the last couple of seasons. And as I’ve said before on here I think he’s an admirable young man having lost his dad so young he shows a level head and emotional maturity in the way he comes across. 

I’d rather we keep Max Bird at the club, then in the summer thank the likes of Korey Smith and Conor Hourihane for playing their part in the resurrection of the club and wish them well in their careers as we sign shiny new players to play alongside Bird, Fornah and Thompson in our midfield. 

That’s just my silly little idealist views of football though, sell him to Hull or Birmingham in Jan who clearly don’t know enough about football for wanting to sign a player who doesn’t score or tackle….

That's fair enough mate we all have opinions and I always think you make a lot of good fair comments, i just don't personally see enough in young Birdy to see what all the fuss is about but fair enough , have a lovely merry christmas ,,,,COYR 

6 minutes ago, S8TY said:

That's fair enough mate we all have opinions and I always think you make a lot of good fair comments, i just don't personally see enough in young Birdy to see what all the fuss is about but fair enough , have a lovely merry christmas ,,,,COYR 

Sorry, my tone was way off in my reply, my in-laws are here for Christmas and it’s clearly making me unduly irritable 🤣 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Ignore the sarky bits at the end please, the rest of what I said stands true in terms of my opinion though. I’m aware he could (and maybe should) be doing more in terms of his scoring, but for some reason Bird is just one of them players that I like, and I think he impacts the team more than we realise. 
Not on the same level as the likes of these following names but similar to a Carrick or Gareth Barry, not the headline grabber in the team but does the unseen work that keeps the side ticking over while others go do the flashy bits. 
Merry Christmas 🎅🏻 🐏 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram