Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I really hope he proves us wrong & it clicks. But I'm really not confident. Players seem to be getting worse not better. 

I hope for all our sakes it's a case of working through a few things and the team comes out the other side, perhaps that's what they're seeing in training? Who knows.

I'm doing my best to be positive but I was annoyed on Saturday and having reflected on it, I'm still annoyed - we're not going to put thug the thug teams in league 1 so making matching them at that as our "thing to fix this" isn't going to end well. They can't bully a player off the ball who's already made the pass.

30 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Only thing I'd say:

If Warne manages to turn this season around, will those that have called for his head already not feel a bit ashamed? Not the people just being critical, but actively calling for him to be sacked. I'm not best impressed either at the minute, but I'd feel a bit stupid if I jumped to the extreme of vocally calling for the manager to be sacked, and he then did alright... Dunno, it just feels like a 'past the point of no return' thing to me where once you've said it, you can't take it back, and if you're wrong, you don't have much right to celebrate the success?

This isn't me saying I think Warne is the right man for the job or anything, just that there's still time for this season to be successful and I don't think we're too far gone just yet.

I certainly wont be ashamed. I think getting rid of him is the right thing to do, but if he proves me wrong then I'll say fair play and be more than happy to congratulate him on a job well done and for rising to the challenge facing him.

In terms of the reporting today about the club sticking with him then it probably means that non-season ticket-holding fans, or fans traveling long distances will be less inclined to turn up if our current form continues. If performances don't drastically improve soon then Pride Park is going to be a pretty toxic place to be and I don't think I want to take my daughter there in those circumstances.

18 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

even if in gratitude to David Clowes then frankly I think you should stay away (put politely) 

I have...did I say I go to watch Belper Town 😊

The football under LR was slow and turgid...imo, The football under PW is slow...turgid...and by all accounts this season...shyte!

24 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

I read this as Clowes not having having a knee jerk reaction to fans anger. Things have turned ugly in recent weeks but he's not going to let that dictate his decision making yet. Sounds courageous and wise. Have our fan base been conditioned by years of Mel Morris impulsiveness? Quite possibly. A lot of comments on here sound like threats of toxic atmosphere should be driving change. 

Clowes has repeatedly told us his values and so this response should surprise noone.

So, we've got problems atm and perhaps we're trying to work through them rather than tearing everything up. I'm rather proud that he is not treating employees with total contempt.

I'm concerned of course like most, but it's not necessarily naivety or wilfull blindness to show support to a manager when things get tough.

The atmosphere is toxic because Paul Warne's football is s***. Not only is it s*** but the manager can't see it's s*** and thinks it's a way to take the Club forward. Why shouldn't the awful football and limited prospects dictate Clowes reaction?

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Perhaps in years gone by, you needed to give a new manager extended time to make a change but nowadays it's pretty quick. Even for us looking at the likes of McClaren you see an immediate upturn in style and performance. If we look at changes for Portsmouth and Oxford, Mousinho got the job 20th Jan and has got a average points of 1.98 over 42 games and only 5 losses. Manning took over at Oxford on 13th March, has points average of 1.59 overall, but 2.07 after the summer transfer window.

We've now missed out on Mike Williamson from Gateshead who's just gone to MK Dons, he played excellent Barcelona style total football at Gateshead. Then there's Luke Williams at Notts County, both young up and coming managers who play good attractive football.  

Good point - he’s made an immediate impact with two consecutive home wins and seven goals 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not until Nigel was gone. 😄

By the time he went we were decent and improving every season, had a young, committed and talented squad and had digested the after effects of Paul Jewell.

There was some utterly deranged stuff said during Nigel Clough's time, overall he handled tricky circumstances reasonably it wasn't until expectations from the ownership raised it became an issue for them. He was frustrating, stubborn and slow to develop the team...

27 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

I read this as Clowes not having having a knee jerk reaction to fans anger. Things have turned ugly in recent weeks but he's not going to let that dictate his decision making yet. Sounds courageous and wise. Have our fan base been conditioned by years of Mel Morris impulsiveness? Quite possibly. A lot of comments on here sound like threats of toxic atmosphere should be driving change. 

Clowes has repeatedly told us his values and so this response should surprise noone.

So, we've got problems atm and perhaps we're trying to work through them rather than tearing everything up. I'm rather proud that he is not treating employees with total contempt.

I'm concerned of course like most, but it's not necessarily naivety or wilfull blindness to show support to a manager when things get tough.

It's progression for me. The manager hasn't progressed the team with the resources at his disposal and I don't think this anger is purely due to the immediate results. Of course they're disappointed however this has the feeling of people being patient with the awful football over the last 9 months and now they've had enough. Bad timing to lose their cool? Possibly.

I think if we showed good signs of progress before the end of last season and the first 3 months of this season, I would 100% agree that this is knee jerk overreacting because a few recent results haven't gone our way and it's dummies being spat out by the minority. Mel Morris was terrible for sacking managers just because of a bad patch over a month or two. But I don't think that's the case. There's been a lot of grumbling supporters for awhile now and this last patch has been the final straw for them, because the majority of the calendar year we have not been good enough.

I respect the owner's values. I genuinely think he reckons this is a just a blip and with a few signings in Jan, we will pick up and fire up the league. The blip has been going on for far too long though and that's my major concern.

18 minutes ago, jameso said:

I agree with your first point. Though I continue to hope Warne will just accept defeat and walk away, I do wonder whether we're capable of pivoting from dissatisfaction with his style and results, to unrealistic demands of anyone who comes in, just because we're massive (relatively speaking) and deserve better than another minute in League One.

Where I disagree is in your last point. I am grateful to David Clowes and accept he has the right to make whatever decision he sees fit. Personally, I think it's the wrong decision and hope he doesn't find out the hard way - the next few games will be "interesting" in terms of how fans respond to results. But aren't you conflating "supporting the club" with refraining from any expression of negative comment about the current management team? Perhaps you think that all we need is patience and it will all come good. If so, that's your opinion, but I'm not automatically less of a supporter if it isn't mine too.

I think it's an active choice that every attending supporter makes on the day, whether to get behind the team and encourage them, or whether to look for something to complain and shout abuse about before we've even kicked a ball.

I have had my say about the football on here, but at games I keep supporting, keep clapping, keep hoping the next attack for us will produce a goal.

We have heard from the Club, like we asked, now we can choose to get behind the team for a few weeks and see whether it makes any difference. 

If someone can't,  then I am guessing that Eaton Ram is saying it's better to stay away. 

It's like people who say the atmosphere will be toxic now, as if that is a separate entity outside of their control. It isn't.  It's us. 

I'm not bothered about those people sitting complaining from the comfort of their armchairs week after week, the players can't hear them. 

48 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Far and away the best post in this thread.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think it's an active choice that every attending supporter makes on the day, whether to get behind the team and encourage them, or whether to look for something to complain and shout abuse about before we've even kicked a ball.

I have had my say about the football on here, but at games I keep supporting, keep clapping, keep hoping the next attack for us will produce a goal.

We have heard from the Club, like we asked, now we can choose to get behind the team for a few weeks and see whether it makes any difference. 

If someone can't,  then I am guessing that Eaton Ram is saying it's better to stay away. 

It's like people who say the atmosphere will be toxic now, as if that is a separate entity outside of their control. It isn't.  It's us. 

I'm not bothered about those people sitting complaining from the comfort of their armchairs week after week, the players can't hear them. 

Agreed. I don't go much (distance reasons) these days but have had season tickets in the past... have never booed anyone (even opponents, I think!)

But actually that contradicts your later point, because the "us" making comments here on the forum are not automatically the same as you or I when in the stadium. You and I have both agreed that our actions there are not necessarily 100% reflective of our feelings/views expressed here. Also the forum remains a relatively small subset of the overall Rams-following population, and on the basis of the poll David did not too long ago, there's a lot of us here who watch on Rams Player and don't necessarily go to so many games.

So yes, there will be some overlap, and yes things expressed here can influence matters (if we take our attitudes to matches and/or help fuel the fire more generally) but actually a lot of the imagined "toxicity" at games is independent of us. Even then, there'll be firestarters and it doesn't necessarily mean others will give it oxygen, but they might, and most likely if something inside them agrees that they've seen enough rubbish and they're not taking any more.