Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

You're the manager, you decide who either comes on for. Would you have brought on Sibley or Washington?

Is both an option?

He messed up Sibley’s sub last Saturday when we were crying out for a number 10 and he put him on the left. 

24 minutes ago, Ken said:

This was always going to be a tricky game.

A team who could not get any worse were at some point going to come alive and start playing for their new manager.

We are a fragile team, we can do well but we always give the opponents a chance.

We didn't replace the goals of David McGoldrick with a like for like forward which means we are unlikely to outscore teams often.

The squad we have this season is a mid table team unless we can add one or two quality players.

This is just not true. But if it is you need to ask how he’s managed to blow a top 2/3 budget on a midtable squad. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

. We could be doing better and we could also be doing a lot worse. We’ve seen evidence that we might have found a way to do play better in recent games, today just wasn’t to be and it’s into the international break with more players coming back from injury. 

I think more accurately we could be doing a lot better but could be doing worse.

We've been very unconvincing over the first quarter of the season.

36 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You were number one. If you’re not Paul Warne, then you’ve certainly done a good impression of him.

I just reply to the totally reactionary posts after a game where we've not won....you don't have to be someone number ones fan to add balance to hysterical posts. 

I guess you do in your mind as you're up there in the Top 10.

On Sibley Vs Washington

We finished the game with both Washington and Collins on the pitch.

Our tactics never really altered from getting it out wide and getting crosses in.

It's nice to have two strikers in there for it to potentially fall to, but ultimately only one player will get that chance to score.

If we'd have had Sibley and Washington on the pitch instead of Collins and Washington, that's two different threats rather than two players both providing the same threat.

With pretty much the last kick of the game this chance fell to Collins who'd been working hard all game but was not having a good day in front of goal.

If that last chance falls to a fresh Washington instead of a tired Collins, then... who knows?

The answer is of course that nobody knows. It's merely a thought exercise.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I've really really really wanted to give Warne the benefit of the doubt. 

Even after watching that, I was still just about onside, let's face it Collins should have scored at least once today, that's not on the manager.

His Radio Derby interview has tipped me over the edge.

Giving up midfield as a deliberate ploy when facing the 24th best team in the league, without a single goal to their name all season, how on earth do the squad take confidence in their abilities when that's the managers mindset?

Even if that attitude was successful over a season, what happens beyond?  

Ipswich are running wild in the division above, having been promoted last season, can anyone honestly see a PW led Derby County doing the same if we somehow squeaked promotion this year? 

He talks a good game, but plays a pretty poor one.

You mirror my feelings exactly.  What the heck was that post-match interview? Thought DD pressed him well. All the youngsters will be gone and we'll be left with a team of PW no-skills journeymen. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought we had enough possession and created enough chances to win today.

Personally would have brought Washington on for Collins, or Sibley for Barkhuizen, did not think the substitution made much sense.

It was just bizarre to me that he himself believes Sibley is the best finisher at the club and in a game where we're creating a fair few chances but failing to take them, he leaves him on the bench. It's almost like he's not happy with Sibley for some reason .... maybe effort in training? Who knows, but if he's willing to give him a place on the bench, he should be one of the five players coming on to help get that winner.

53 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I suspect paul Warne has banned even attempting anything but crossing the ball from absolutely anywhere and flinging a head at it. 

He's to fixated or to bloody stubborn to understand there's more than one way to skin a cat, Crossing to a person who's 5' 9" at best aint going to win to many headers in or around the box, Also he always comes across as a child when opening his Christmas presents when we score from a cross/set piece...he loves it, That is only one part of the game, All the others parts should be in his tool box to either bring out or start with, We're becoming 1 dimensional...get it out wide and cross into the box.

His after match comment at Blackpool where he said "the players are buying into how he wants to play" or summat like that, If I was in midfield today I'd be asking serious questions about his ability to give a worryingly after match presser to radio Derby🙄