Derby v Blackpool (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Mendez-Laing is a good case in point, how often has he got to exactly the same position as he did last night and then lobbed a high cross over everybody's heads, rather than pulling the ball back? What caused the change? Bird back in a three-man midfield, I agree with you on that. He sets the example for keeping the ball on the floor. You can say he was in the number ten position if you want, but having the fluidity of Bird, Fornah and Smith made all the difference. It turned Smith into a world-beater, for a start.

Long may it continue.

That’s a really good observation @angieram. Smith got forward for the goal, but he popped up in advanced positions a couple of other times too, and mentioned in his post match interview that Warne had asked him to do so. If those 3, or whoever else plays in the midfield at times, can work out that balance of when one sits the other two go forward and sort of rotate it then it’ll be a challenge for opposing sides to know who to pick up and when.

EDIT - realised the wording of that might sound patronising, that’s not my intent, I mean your observation helped the penny drop for me. I hadn’t really registered those times Smith popped up close to Collins at times.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

16 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Just grates that people start acting like everything is fine and dandy and people are deluded to even ever had the gaul to criticise Warne after a win when there's still massive room for improvement, this is league 1 and top 6 is the minimum expectation. I'm just keeping my eyes focused on the bigger picture. It's ridiculous that people have to polarise things we have massive work to do to get to the levels we need still.

We all know that improvement is needed, but to some on here the only way we can do that is to sack Paul Warne, because that is what they stated.

Watched it on rams tv and we looked so much better than saturday. We upped the tempo of our play, had much more movement from Smith in midfield who scored the first and ran the show and got far more bodies in the box than we did on Saturday. If we offered that kind of threat and play at Pride Park, I don't think anyone would be complaining. For once the biggest threat wasn't from set pieces or Forsyth but from our wingers and attackers. Defensively, Nyambie is an excellent addition who i think would look relatively comfortable in the championship, and Nelson looks a good partner for Cashin in a 2 (not a 3) when his main job is blocking, heading, and tackling. 

Bird coming back in is going to help us as he shouldn't be in league 1 and with Barks, Sibbo, and Washington to come back we are starting to have some more attacking options. The away form is excellent and it perhaps fits more with Warne's ideal given that we are given more space in the final third. Now Warne needs to find a way to break teams down who sit back in two banks of four when they come to Pride Park. He does that and we should be on track for a good season.

12 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Watched it on rams tv and we looked so much better than saturday. We upped the tempo of our play, had much more movement from Smith in midfield who scored the first and ran the show and got far more bodies in the box than we did on Saturday. If we offered that kind of threat and play at Pride Park, I don't think anyone would be complaining. For once the biggest threat wasn't from set pieces or Forsyth but from our wingers and attackers. Defensively, Nyambie is an excellent addition who i think would look relatively comfortable in the championship, and Nelson looks a good partner for Cashin in a 2 (not a 3) when his main job is blocking, heading, and tackling. 

Bird coming back in is going to help us as he shouldn't be in league 1 and with Barks, Sibbo, and Washington to come back we are starting to have some more attacking options. The away form is excellent and it perhaps fits more with Warne's ideal given that we are given more space in the final third. Now Warne needs to find a way to break teams down who sit back in two banks of four when they come to Pride Park. He does that and we should be on track for a good season.

We've been a great home team for a few years now, even when relegated, but often dire away.

Warne's methods are clearly working away from home brilliantly, but obviously look poor when teams sit deep against us at home. This was probably hidden a bit last season, especially during that great run around Xmas time, as we often benefited from (usually McGoldrick) scoring a couple early, so we could just sit back and play like more of an away team.

Let's hope our great away form can give the team some momentum at home and that Warne finds a few tactical improvements there too. Hourihane back on set pieces at home should be a good thing as they sounded dire on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We've been a great home team for a few years now, even when relegated, but often dire away.

Warne's methods are clearly working away from home brilliantly, but obviously look poor when teams sit deep against us at home. This was probably hidden a bit last season, especially during that great run around Xmas time, as we often benefited from (usually McGoldrick) scoring a couple early, so we could just sit back and play like more of an away team.

Let's hope our great away form can give the team some momentum at home and that Warne finds a few tactical improvements there too. Hourihane back on set pieces at home should be a good thing as they sounded dire on Saturday.

True the inverse seems to be happening now. I think you're right about the space issue at home and the loss of McGoldrick. He gave us something different that oftentimes attracted 2 or even 3 defenders opening up space for others to take advantage of. We have since lost that making it perhaps more difficult. That and the loss of early goals making opponents more stubborn and cautious. 

17 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yep , it can be a tough nut to crack when teams sit in , even the best sides can struggle at times to make the breakthrough that changes the game , often it’s a confidence thing and not getting frustrated, I reckon we get a good win and home and we will be up and running 

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

We all know that improvement is needed, but to some on here the only way we can do that is to sack Paul Warne, because that is what they stated.

A manager is only as good as his last few games. 

Im pretty sure those (including me) who’ve been critical of PW would eat humble pie if he can turn things around, especially at home. 

11 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

A manager is only as good as his last few games. 

Im pretty sure those (including me) who’ve been critical of PW would eat humble pie if he can turn things around, especially at home. 

He can’t turn things round if he’s been sacked though, which I reiterate some people on here have called for, enough is enough and get him gone now, is just two of phrases I recall.

Hopefully last night will give him a bit of breathing space, unless of course we don’t beat Cheltenham 😂

44 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just to let you know those lads who the Club seem to love videoing were standing in front of our disabled supporters all game, preventing them from seeing or enjoying any part of the game.

Well that's nowt to do with me but did anyone tell the stewards, there were plenty of them around.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Not sure how Warne needs to turn things around to quote one poster when we're in 7th place one point from the playoffs with a game in hand.

If we were in the bottom 3 then this statement would be totally valid. Bizarre. 

Turn things around performance wise Tyler. 

PW said when he first arrived that he likes to play entertaining football, that’s what supporters pay their money for. 

We’ve seen very little entertainment this season so I think supporters who question things have every right to. The cost to go to watch games isn’t cheap. 

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

He can’t turn things round if he’s been sacked though, which I reiterate some people on here have called for, enough is enough and get him gone now, is just two of phrases I recall.

Hopefully last night will give him a bit of breathing space, unless of course we don’t beat Cheltenham 😂

If we don't beat a team that has one point form ten games and zero goals then it wouldn't matter who the manager is, they should resign out of pure embarrassment.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

But he didn't. You might just as well say Barks was close to heading in his chance.

To be fair to Waggy, it seemed to go where he wanted it to, and if so then his roof-of-the-net finish suggests that he is playing with confidence at the moment. When strikers are desperately short of confidence they tend to go very safe which often makes things worse by putting it in the keeper's saveable range.