Derby v Blackpool (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Good to see the BBC have got their facts right again. 😀

"The visitors doubled their lead through Collins, but Kenny Dougall's header handed Blackpool a lifeline two minutes later"

They are completely useless. Different club, but Chesterfield have a centre back called Jamie Grimes. He wears number 5 and as far as I'm aware has played centre back for every single club he's ever played for. Every week, without fail the BBC match report lists him as starting on the right wing.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Just watched the goals 😎. First touch/one touch, moving ball quickly, getting to bye line, midfielder “arriving” at pace in the box. Strikers where they should be. Proper football really is simple ! 

I know. I love it when a bout of "playing-it-on -the-floor-itis" breaks out. It was very contagious and everyone seemed to have been affected!

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

I know. I love it when a bout of "playing-it-on -the-floor-itis" breaks out. It was very contagious and everyone seemed to have been affected!

Wow so unfair .

Do you think Warne hasn’t been trying to achieve this already .

Also Bird made the first goal with Mendez

He has been missed 

Edited by Curtains
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You can’t get out of it like that .

You said enough is enough with Warne right !

1 win doesn't change my opinion. I hope he keeps winning and doesn't care about my opinion.

But Saturday irrefutably showed he didn't recognise the issues within the game. He's still yet to show he can adapt when Plan A for a given game doesn't go his way.  So, let's just hope Plan A works more often and he figures about a better Plan A at Pride Park as that is threatening to de-rail the entire season.

His name is Mendez-Laing, by the way. Not sure who Mendis is. Might as well start calling Wildsmith Will Smiff.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

1 win doesn't change my opinion. I hope he keeps winning and doesn't care about my opinion.

But Saturday irrefutably showed he didn't recognise the issues within the game. He's still yet to show he can adapt when Plan A for a given game doesn't go his way.  So, let's just hope Plan A works more often and he figures about a better Plan A at Pride Park as that is threatening to de-rail the entire season.

His name is Mendez-Laing, by the way. Not sure who Mendis is. Might as well start calling Wildsmith Will Smiff.

I don’t look at how players names are spelt avidly I went to Secondary Modern thats why you have A levels and I have spirit levels lol 😂 

Anyway whatever.

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I don’t look at how players names are spelt avidly I went to Secondary Modern thats why you have A levels and I have spirit levels lol 😂 

Anyway whatever.

Maybe you should, spelling names incorrectly once is a mistake, repeatedly is just disrespectful.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Maybe you should, spelling names incorrectly once is a mistake, repeatedly is just disrespectful.

Maybe you should start a podcast with David again as I used to like the listen .

You always was critical though of lots of things 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

You also went well over the top in writing off Waghorn as a woeful signing when he came back and even before he played. Have you learned a lesson from that yet?

Maybe lay off the dictionary now and start learning about football eh?

An away performance out of the book. They had scored most of their goals this season in the first half of games. We took what they could throw for 20 to 25 minutes and defended very well. The crowd got frustrated and that got to their players and they started pumping the ball forward and we profited. Wilson could/should have had 2 and Collo was unfortunate not to get one as well.

They started the 2nd half well again but we held firm. Then 2 very good goals for us on the break. A reply from them from what the Dutch refer to as "Sunday shot" which took a deflection that saw it pass JW and into the net. They then hit the bar. Another very good move saw us get a 3rd and the 3 points.

10 games in and what can we take from the season so far? There's a marked difference between the home and the away form. Why? IMO it's because the players we have available are better suited to containing the opposition and hitting them on the break. At home, the oppo come to shut up shop and we have to make the play ourselves. That might actually be on with Bird in the #10 role. He took 15 to get into the game but after that he played well.

Wildsmith - dropped 1 high ball, not at fault for their goal. Solid the rest of the game.
Nyambe - I like the lad. Concentrates on his defensive role and occasionall joins the attack.
Nelson - getting better every game and forms a good partnership with Cashin
Cashin - after a very unCashin-like start to the season he's back to his best
Forsyth - Got done a couple of times for speed but their winger would do that to most left backs
Smith - we've seen flashes of a player in him. Yesterday he nailed it all game.
Fornah - what's not to like? Cracking addition to the squad although he did let Dougall drift off him for their goal... no-on'es perfect
Wilson - good going forward and good in defence. Only down was he really ought to have hit the target with both the header and the shot
Bird - 1st game back after injury, took time to get into the game but played some lovely balls
NML - I'm predicting him to be on the bench at Cheltenham and Barks starting. Rotation at its best
Collo - what a work rate. Another goal to his credit. Good performance

Apart from the NML/Barks rotation we seem to be seeing, I see no reason to change the starting XI for Saturday.

Hourihane. Who's place should he take? Smith and Fornah look like a great pairing at DM and I wouldn't change a thing. Bird? No way
Waggy. Scored again but shouldn't, barring injuries, replace Bird, Collo or one of the wide players
Washington. Will have to be patient as 3rd striker in a 1 striker system
Sibley. Came on very late and was again moved out wide. I'd love to see him get a run at #10 but on yesterday's display he's not going to dislodge Bird
Vickers. Will get the cup games and have to be patient waiting for JW to c*** up
Bradley. Back 4 will see him a permanent bench warmer. Back 3 might see him creep in but that would be harsh on Foz
Thompson. When fit, who's place would he take? Bench for him, I'm afraid
JJ, Elder, Ward, Robinson will all have to wait and hope although JJ might get some late cameos if the oppo has a defence susceptible to pace
Rooney. I don't expect he'll figure again this season, unfortunately with his injury.

Some selection headaches of the right kind for PW

12 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

You also went well over the top in writing off Waghorn as a woeful signing when he came back and even before he played. Have you learned a lesson from that yet?

Maybe lay off the dictionary now and start learning about football eh?

Also doesn't change the fact we would be better with another striker, does it? He's surprised me, as he has a fair few of us. He as also been poor the last couple of home games. We still need a striker who's younger, more athletic and has more pace. That still rings true now. Hopefully, John-Jules can get fit and prove to be just that.

Where's this dictionary that contains names you speak of? 😂

Edited by Srg

58 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Wow so unfair .

Do you think Warne hasn’t been trying to achieve this already .

Also Bird made the first goal with Mendez

He has been missed 

Unfair? I meant it as a compliment! 

Just a light-hearted take on what I thought was a good performance last night.

Mendez-Laing is a good case in point, how often has he got to exactly the same position as he did last night and then lobbed a high cross over everybody's heads, rather than pulling the ball back? What caused the change? Bird back in a three-man midfield, I agree with you on that. He sets the example for keeping the ball on the floor. You can say he was in the number ten position if you want, but having the fluidity of Bird, Fornah and Smith made all the difference. It turned Smith into a world-beater, for a start.

Long may it continue.

58 minutes ago, Srg said:

I kind of have a view that being disrespectful is only a thing when someone is intending to be disrespectful, a bit like how you are being to curtains regards spelling on a football forum , lord only knows how you must view one of our best posters B4 🤷🏻‍♂️, honestly, spelling and grammar is not a good hiding place when losing an argument, it’s just pompous and crass 

Edited by Archied

Not one mention by those nobheads from Lancs Radio,whose commentary I had to listen to last night as to why our team wore black armbands last night,and another grumble one of them must have called Wildsmith,Willed Smith,at least 70 or 80 times last night.How these monkeys get paid to do a football commentary without calling players their proper name.god only knows