Derby v Blackpool (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

42 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

A quick shout out to those who normally get a rough deal on here. Referee and Linesmen. Don’t recall a lot wrong from them yesterday. Credit where it is due? 

I love it when refs and Lino’s get compliments. Mind you, it’s usually when we win 🤪. Not that I am biased or anything !

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not sure how Warne needs to turn things around to quote one poster when we're in 7th place one point from the playoffs with a game in hand.

If we were in the bottom 3 then this statement would be totally valid. Bizarre. 

perhaps it was the home form that the poster was referring to.....then not quite so bizarre. 

35 minutes ago, DRBee said:

perhaps it was the home form that the poster was referring to.....then not quite so bizarre. 

Interestingly if we carried on with our existing home and away performances and extrapolated that to the end of the season then we would finish on 78 points which on last year's league standings would have us finish in the playoffs places.

So again there's nothing to turn around if we continued on our current trajectory. 

Unless of course you expected us to finish in the Top 2 positions. 

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Interestingly if we carried on with our existing home and away performances and extrapolated that to the end of the season then we would finish on 78 points which on last year's league standings would have us finish in the playoffs places.

So again there's nothing to turn around if we continued on our current trajectory. 

Why would you not expect us to challenge for top 2?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why would you not expect us to challenge for top 2?

Are you happy to challenge my maths?

As I was replying to the question of whether we needed to turn things around.

And on our current PPG home and away extrapolated to the end of the season we would finish in the playoffs if last season's league table was replicated this time around.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

To be fair, if someone offered top 6 and in form for the playoffs now, I'd grab it with both hands and both feet.

That said, I do like the look of the team when we play to feet and it's nice to dream 🙏

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Are you happy to challenge my maths?

As I was replying to the question of whether we needed to turn things around.

And on our current PPG home and away extrapolated to the end of the season we would finish in the playoffs if last season's league table was replicated this time around.

Let me rephrase my question then. Why would you settle for a top 6 finish, when our wage bill suggests we should be challenging for top 2?

An upturn in our home form is necessary for our league position to match our financial expenditure.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Let me rephrase my question then. Why would you settle for a top 6 finish, when our wage bill suggests we should be challenging for top 2?

An upturn in our home form is necessary for our league position to match our financial expenditure.

I'd be happy with a Top 2 finish against one in the playoffs of course if I had the choice. 

But at the risk of being pedantic the original retort was that we needed to turn things around. Which on our current PPG we actually don't to project a Top 6 finish. 

Am happy to debate anything else with you or anyone else as a separate matter to this. 

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'd be happy with a Top 2 finish against one in the playoffs of course if I had the choice. 

But at the risk of being pedantic the original retort was that we needed to turn things around. Which on our current PPG we actually don't to project a Top 6 finish. 

Am happy to debate anything else with you or anyone else as a separate matter to this. 

Now what we need to do now is examine in depth, find the correct stats that show our current progress, compare it with last season, add in points won against top teams v bottom teams. Then, at the same time, project actual goals scored, overlay this with shots on target, name and competence of officials in games where we lost. Then add in a time sensitive injury quotient. When you done that we also need to ask @David if he really did wear his lucky pants to the same fixtures year on year. This way we will be right (more or less)

9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

This response is pure flannel - you can't ignore how poor our home form has been for months. Its to do with being rewarded travelling long distance  to home matches by a good performance. I have no demand about finishing top 2 or whatever, but just want to watch good football at home matches. This will be a "turn round ". Even in some disappointing recent seasons our home form has been much better.

Less than a tenth of people who regularly watch Derby live at home get to the away matches on anything like a regular basis.

That's why it is so important for us to find a way to improve our home performances. 

There's absolutely no point me telling you how much more fun away games are. You want to experience that feeling for yourselved,  and the noise around this won't die down until you do. 

I'm not sure I get all this top two talk!

OK, finishing top, yeah... of course.  A trophy for a start.  No post-league nerves and drama.  Chance to dance in the street, and swing a very large pair of testicles around. I get that.

Or even the drama, excitement, and extra dosh for the Play-Offs,,, with the 25% chance of the best way to gain promotion, via a day out (or weekend) in the metropolis.  And still, another way to get your hands on a real live trophy.  Again, I get that.

But second place?  Really?  Who the heck get's remembered for that?  No trophy!  No street party!  No testicles!  Just your name on a list.

Ooh no thank you very much!    👀

1 hour ago, jono said:

Now what we need to do now is examine in depth, find the correct stats that show our current progress, compare it with last season, add in points won against top teams v bottom teams. Then, at the same time, project actual goals scored, overlay this with shots on target, name and competence of officials in games where we lost. Then add in a time sensitive injury quotient. When you done that we also need to ask @David if he really did wear his lucky pants to the same fixtures year on year. This way we will be right (more or less)

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

OK, finishing top, yeah... of course.  A trophy for a start.  No post-league nerves and drama.  Chance to dance in the street, and swing a very large pair of testicles around. I get that.

Or even the drama, excitement, and extra dosh for the Play-Offs,,, with the 25% chance of the best way to gain promotion, via a day out (or weekend) in the metropolis.  And still, another way to get your hands on a real live trophy.  Again, I get that.

But second place?  Really?  Who the heck get's remembered for that?  No trophy!  No street party!  No testicles!  Just your name on a list.

Given some of our relatively recent experiences in the playoffs, I'll take second all day thanks. The playoffs is the best way to go up for sure, but it's also the worst way to stay down.

Just for once I'd like Derby to not put me through the wringer. Is that too much to ask?

26 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes but in 27 years time when an old player gets mentioned. You can say to the young ones on here “he was a member of the promotion winning team in 2024 and thus gain huge status as a forum “eminence gris” .. I mean that’s not too bad is it 🤣