Derby v Blackpool (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Given some of our relatively recent experiences in the playoffs, I'll take second all day thanks. The playoffs is the best way to go up for sure, but it's also the worst way to stay down.

Just for once I'd like Derby to not put me through the wringer. Is that too much to ask?

Of course, I was jesting... and of course, I'd snap my own hand off for second place!  🐏

... And I hear you, play off wise...  🍻

Must admit, my play-off heart ache doesn't compare remotely, to what most on here have suffered.  Usually due to being away on holiday at those times, and in the case of the Leicester game, I'd become a tad "unaffected" by the club at that time, due to "Young family commitments".  Listened on the hire-car radio on the way back from a weekend away, lost, switched it off.  Carried on.  A lucky escape, in hindsight!  

Obviously, The QPR game affected me more, but again, nothing like the true heartache for those that were there.  Due to a c*** up on my part (Assuming we always played these on the BH Monday), we landed back at EMA at 13:55 on the Saturday... Home by 14:55... telly on... EVERYTHING in our favour... Zamora... sigh... telly off... Saturday night, innit.
Again, a somewhat lucky escape from the real heartache down in Smoke City!

The WBA win was celebrated with a traditional Majorcan Madras (Of course there is!), beers-a-plenty, and more than one tear of utter jealousy running down my cheek.  That was worse for me personally... missing out on the true joy of being there!  And I blame Billy for that, as at the time of booking my hols (Jan '07), we were odds-on and perfectly placed for the auto's.  Absolutely no need for me to consider the play off dates at that stage!  We'll already be up, before my flight! The short arsed bamford!  🤬

My one and only live PO game (to date) was the last one v Villa.  I certainly felt disappointment, and had that "anti-climax vibe", but whilst I had a fantastic weekend down there overall, the whole game experience was just so very meh!  The starting line up.  Being outsung for 90 mins by the oppo fans, (Didn't help being near the halfway line... villa fans two blocks to the left) and the complete lack of "We can do this" vibe that seemed to be the theme of the day!  All so very meh!

... But I'd take a PO spot as it stands.  And I'd brave it again if we got there... but yes, I'd much rather we miss out, and take an auto spot.  Second would be absolute heaven, in all seriousness!  🐏

15 hours ago, angieram said:

It's interesting, because I was in the middle of the stand nearer the halfway line. We enjoyed a great atmosphere, lots of away regulars and it felt like we were amongst friends. We had to stand of course, but I'm lucky that I still can.

It was only after the game that we found out what had been going on elsewhere. 

I have brought the matter up at SCG several times and there's little that the Club can do about it. They can't advertise seating areas for people who want it because technically we should all be seated. It's so frustrating! 

Although I am no longer in a position to go to away games regularly, i have heard several accounts of issues at away matches these days, linked to standing as well as a large number of fans having too much drink and god knows what else.  Sadly, I'm not sure the club are in a position to do much about it, i imagine seat numbers are rarely matched up to the ticket holder and so many tickets are changing hands on social media that it would be impossible to prove any guilt unless the offenders are actually arrested for something.  It is a real problem and one which the SCG should continue to lobby for a solution.  I am sure Mr Clowes would be sympathetic but finding a solution could be very difficult.  When I was travelling away regularly in the 80's and 90's we didn't have such issues, unfortunately those days are gone.  Whilst i do still enjoy the occasional away game when I can get tickets, I have felt a little uncomfortable taking my 13 year old lad which is a great shame.

20 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Are you happy to challenge my maths?

As I was replying to the question of whether we needed to turn things around.

And on our current PPG home and away extrapolated to the end of the season we would finish in the playoffs if last season's league table was replicated this time around.

Fairly certain the majority would acknowledge that home form needs to (and most likely will) improve.  

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Is this just for @Srg ?

I don't dislike Korey Smith, he's just slow. Both to release the ball most of the time, but also across the ground. This has always been exacerbated by playing with Hourihane, usually. I don't think we can support a midfield of both. Play him with Fornah and Bird, and he can be useful - as long as he releases the ball quicker than he did on Saturday.

38 minutes ago, Srg said:

I don't dislike Korey Smith, he's just slow. Both to release the ball most of the time, but also across the ground. This has always been exacerbated by playing with Hourihane, usually. I don't think we can support a midfield of both. Play him with Fornah and Bird, and he can be useful - as long as he releases the ball quicker than he did on Saturday.

Being slow isn't always a problem if a player knows where to be and when. He was exactly where he needed to be for pretty much the entire game at Blackpool. If he can keep that up the fact he isn't very quick wont matter so much.

I do agree that having him and Hourihane limits our athleticism in the middle of the park though. Based on our performance on Tuesday I'd be leaving Hourihane on the bench. 

I didn’t see this match. I’ve seen all our games either live or on RamsTV. Had a commitment to watch Harrogate v Wimbledon on the night but kept up to date on here and friends match day chat on WhatsApp.  I read this thread after the game and a few days after that and also watched the highlights on RamsTV. 

Had some time today so watched the whole of the second half, which was the one to watch according to most comments. Unfortunately, after having read the comments, I expected to see more expansive play and passing from us. Bar the moves for the goals, it was mostly Blackpool. We looked solid enough but all our long clearances fell to them and we didn’t keep the ball very long at all. Our best bit of passing was at 1-2 just after Barks had a chance to make it 3 and that passage of play went for a corner. 
Great win against a rival and a side unbeaten at home but I really expected a bit more football after having read this thread. Nevertheless, I hope it fosters some confidence going into the next game. 

36 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I didn’t see this match. I’ve seen all our games either live or on RamsTV. Had a commitment to watch Harrogate v Wimbledon on the night but kept up to date on here and friends match day chat on WhatsApp.  I read this thread after the game and a few days after that and also watched the highlights on RamsTV. 

Had some time today so watched the whole of the second half, which was the one to watch according to most comments. Unfortunately, after having read the comments, I expected to see more expansive play and passing from us. Bar the moves for the goals, it was mostly Blackpool. We looked solid enough but all our long clearances fell to them and we didn’t keep the ball very long at all. Our best bit of passing was at 1-2 just after Barks had a chance to make it 3 and that passage of play went for a corner. 
Great win against a rival and a side unbeaten at home but I really expected a bit more football after having read this thread. Nevertheless, I hope it fosters some confidence going into the next game. 

Agree with this 100%. We have improved and now look very hard to beat. If we as a squad could cut out the long hopeful clearances as they nine times out of ten we are just giving the ball away we would be very good. It just takes a bit of calmness and trust in each other by passing rather than hoofing.

On 05/10/2023 at 11:01, NottsRam said:

Although I am no longer in a position to go to away games regularly, i have heard several accounts of issues at away matches these days, linked to standing as well as a large number of fans having too much drink and god knows what else.  Sadly, I'm not sure the club are in a position to do much about it, i imagine seat numbers are rarely matched up to the ticket holder and so many tickets are changing hands on social media that it would be impossible to prove any guilt unless the offenders are actually arrested for something.  It is a real problem and one which the SCG should continue to lobby for a solution.  I am sure Mr Clowes would be sympathetic but finding a solution could be very difficult.  When I was travelling away regularly in the 80's and 90's we didn't have such issues, unfortunately those days are gone.  Whilst i do still enjoy the occasional away game when I can get tickets, I have felt a little uncomfortable taking my 13 year old lad which is a great shame.

Sadly, when you go to watch Derby away, you have more chance of being verbally abused or assaulted by your own fans than by the opposition fans.

Edited by sage

35 minutes ago, sage said:

Sadly, when you go to watch Derby away, you have more chance of being verbally abused or assaulted by your own fans than by the opposition fans.

A very sad state of affairs.  My lad loves our occasional away day and would like to go more often but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle any more.

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm not looking forward to tonight. When I bought my ticket I thought there'd be 800 or so of the regulars and a supportive atmosphere. Now I anticipate trouble, abuse of players, other fans and possibly the manager if the result doesn't go our way.

All on world mental health day.

Good if we win though.

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm not looking forward to tonight. When I bought my ticket I thought there'd be 800 or so of the regulars and a supportive atmosphere. Now I anticipate trouble, abuse of players, other fans and possibly the manager if the result doesn't go our way.

All on world mental health day.

Ignoring the last line, as I deem it irrelevant in this instance.
I'm also going to ignore the fact that you are merely guessing/attempting to look into the future, and could end up being proven to be 100% wrong in your fears...

... I think that whole post should (somehow?) be brought to the attention of those in authority at the club.

No football fan... whether a "New to all this" type, or someone with your reputation/experience/history (with regards to DCFC support/match attendances etc, of course)... should be thinking this way, and should not feel the need to publicly express such thoughts.
The very fact that you are indeed thinking like this shows there is a problem... even if that problem doesn't materialise this evening... , and it's time for the club to acknowledge it, and at least try to solve it.

Yobs are yobs, regardless of their football allegiances, and need to be weeded out.  Anti-social behaviour is called anti-social for a reason.
The club spout off enough about decency, anti-social behaviour, supporters charters etc. 
There's signs at the turnstiles.  There's pages and pages of rules, expectations, and references to the law on their official website, in amongst their own T&C's for ticket buying and match attending.

It's time to act.  Walk the walk, Derby County FC.

13 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

I go to every away game , the behaviour of a small minority this season is the worst I can remember for quite a while

I was In amongst them at Cheltenham on Saturday, it’s the I can do what I want mentally with complete disregard for anyone else. 
Not a policeman in sight and stewards on minimum wage.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ignoring the last line, as I deem it irrelevant in this instance.
I'm also going to ignore the fact that you are merely guessing/attempting to look into the future, and could end up being proven to be 100% wrong in your fears...

... I think that whole post should (somehow?) be brought to the attention of those in authority at the club.

No football fan... whether a "New to all this" type, or someone with your reputation/experience/history (with regards to DCFC support/match attendances etc, of course)... should be thinking this way, and should not feel the need to publicly express such thoughts.
The very fact that you are indeed thinking like this shows there is a problem... even if that problem doesn't materialise this evening... , and it's time for the club to acknowledge it, and at least try to solve it.

Yobs are yobs, regardless of their football allegiances, and need to be weeded out.  Anti-social behaviour is called anti-social for a reason.
The club spout off enough about decency, anti-social behaviour, supporters charters etc. 
There's signs at the turnstiles.  There's pages and pages of rules, expectations, and references to the law on their official website, in amongst their own T&C's for ticket buying and match attending.

It's time to act.  Walk the walk, Derby County FC.

Do you think I haven't tried?

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Do you think I haven't tried?

Oh no.  That wasn't my assertion, so apologies if it came across that way.
I'm sure you and numerous others have at least sent in the odd email.  Particularly regarding away games, from what few titbits I pick up (But I don't imagine home games are incident-free, of course)

No... My message was less "We need to complain more" and more "DCFC need to start listening and acting more", when the complaints do come in!