Its like Clough all over again...... Bored Stiff Today!

RAM1966

Before you slate me, Clough had a talented team, he was too negative, Stevie Mac turned us into an attacking outfit overnight!!!!  That's not the issue with Warne as we were camped in their half for large spells of the game, that said I was bored stiff today, just like Cloughs football. 

I felt like going home at HT, I stayed obviously, the footie got worse not better, we just can not seem to brake teams down that come for a draw!

Stevie Mac part 3 anyone?  The football was never boring, it had us on the edge of our seats............ 

Edited by RAM1966

4 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

Before you slate me, Clough had a talented team, he was too negative, Stevie Mac turned us into an attacking outfit overnight!!!!  That's not the issue with Warne as we were camped in their half for large spells of the game, that said I was bored stiff today, just like Cloughs football. 

I felt like going home at HT, I stayed obviously, the footie got worse not better, we just can not seem to brake teams down that come for a draw!

Stevie Mac part 3 anyone?  The football was never boring, it had us on the edge of our seats............ 

I wasn’t bored in the first half. I thought it was quite entertaining, just frustrating that we couldn’t create enough good chances or convert the few that we did.

Agree very much with the original post. Clough did some great things, but wasn't capable of taking us further and his football was oh so dull. Crowds were going through the floor. Warne has shown he's not capable of taking us forward either, and again his football is dull. Attendances are going to plummet unless something can be done. It's not too late to bring someone (Mac 3 would be great) in who can take what I maintain remains a reasonably talented squad, and turn us into a team that's good to watch and will win automatic promotion. 90-95% of managers could do at least as well as Warne with these players. 

Edited by Carl Sagan

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree very much with the original post. Clough did some great things, but wasn't capable of taking us further and his football was oh so dull. Crowds were going through the floor. Warne has shown he's not capable of taking us forward either, and again his football is dull. Attendances are going to plummet unless something can be done. It's not too late to bring someone (Mac 3 would be great) in who can take what I maintain remains a reasonably talented squad, and turn us into a team that's good too watch and will win automatic promotion. 90-95% of managers could do at least as well as Warne with these players. 

TBH I reckon 95% of fans could do as well as Warne with these players, there's no tactical genius at work here is there?! 😄

Yup, very similar to Nigel bore fest..

Clough and Warne ain't got the b******* to go more attacking - this was the difference Mac had when he'd often go from 433 to 424 and just fookin go for it, even away from home.

I'd rather lose trying to win, than draw trying not to lose..

41 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

You make a good case for it!

Wouldn’t it be Stevie Mac part 4 though (or did I dream one of his managerial stints)?

I’m not seriously endorsing your idea but is there a parallel universe somewhere we could try it out and see what happens?

5 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Personally I think the #1 problem is we have not got good enough players.

If we don’t solve that then it would not matter if we re incarnated Brian Clough or Bill Shankley, we will struggle to score goals.

I think, on the whole, our players are good enough to be doing much better than they are in league 1 but not good enough to play the champagne football we’d all like to see.

Today again, we were just too one dimensional: get the ball out wide and cross it. Cambridge weren’t very good but had enough to deal with our predictable approach. Maybe Warne doesn’t have the players at his disposal to mix things up enough (I accept that statement could be seen as a contradiction of my opening statement) but I’m not convinced he has the tactical ability either. Mixing it it for him seems to consist of NML and Barks swapping wings.

I suspect PW will eventually come good (maybe not this season though) and get us promoted playing his style of football but I’m not convinced and certainly not convinced it will look pretty. 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I think, on the whole, our players are good enough to be doing much better than they are in league 1 but not good enough to play the champagne football we’d all like to see.

Today again, we were just too one dimensional: get the ball out wide and cross it. Cambridge weren’t very good but had enough to deal with our predictable approach. Maybe Warne doesn’t have the players at his disposal to mix things up enough (I accept that statement could be seen as a contradiction of my opening statement) but I’m not convinced he has the tactical ability either. Mixing it it for him seems to consist of NML and Barks swapping wings.

I suspect PW will eventually come good (maybe not this season though) and get us promoted playing his style of football but I’m not convinced and certainly not convinced it will look pretty. 

You could have saved yourself repetitive wrist-strain on the keyboard and simply said "We're crap."

I feel Warne basically plays it safe. He seems unwilling to drop the players he perceives to be his biggest stars, so NML gets more minutes than he can handle, and we know when Hourihane gets fit he'll be straight back into the team. 

He has also played Waghorn off Collins when he would really be better playing Washington or Sibley off one of them (not both.) 

He seems less bothered about letting down the younger players. Bird playing out of position for weeks before his injury, Sibley back on the left wing briefly today, before using him to fill in at left back. 

The test for me will be when he gets Tommo and John-Jules back fit. Will he have the guts to select them over more experienced players? We'll see. 

I don't think we're crap, but I don't think Warne has quite got the blend right. 

Yeah Nigel's football was boring but he did a good and neccessary rebuilding job. And apart from one season ridiculusly ruined by injuries, we did get better each year.

I can see what the OP's getting at, and I remember how much people hated on Nigel whilst he was here. But we seem to be going backwards in lots of ways.

I cannot help but think the job needed is similar (not the same, haivng a top 6 L1 budget not a bottom 6 championship one) but I'm having doubts about Warne being the man. Getting out of L1 is only the first part and there's probably several seasons of not being great in the championship before we've fully recovered from the Morris Era.

23 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't think we're crap, but I don't think Warne has quite got the blend right. 

I wasn't trying to be controversial or dismissive Angie but in the history of this great club, at the moment we are crap in my opinion. Our current position of 12th in the third tier is our rock-bottom in our 135 years in the EFL. But I agree with you that Warne has not got the blend right, that's why we're twelfth and rock-bottom. But it's only my opinion. We've taken just 11 points in the last 11 home League games and I sincerely hope that even Paul Warne would admit that's crap. If not it's even more worrying.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

You could have saved yourself repetitive wrist-strain on the keyboard and simply said "We're crap."

I don't know what you've been doing this evening 😉but it takes a bit more than typing that to give me any sort of wrist strain.

I don't think we're crap exactly. Just too one dimensional and not very good at breaking teams down. We may be at our lowest league position at the moment but weirdly, I'm pretty sure I've seen us play worse week in week out.