Its like Clough all over again...... Bored Stiff Today!

RAM1966

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Rosenior did not reset the club in the few months he was in charge Roy, he got a team together to start last season.

No he reset the Club, he got a good squad of players together and was getting good/reasonable results. Warne isn't resetting anything, just changing the style of play whilst claiming to be adaptable. Well I guess he had to be because his 3-5-2 players weren't going to do it for him. 

14 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

We have very different recollections, Clough served up negative terrible football, he's happy not to lose,  I don't spend my hard earmed on hoping for a draw.  His father said he had no ambition and he was right.

I was close to giving up my Season Ticket under his stewardship.....  The crowds dropped massively during his time, says it all really!!!!

We dropped to an average of 23,000 in Clough's last season.

Two of the best games i've ever seen were under Nige. Yeovil and Millwall away, total football similar to the Dutch and Ajax teams of the early/mid 70's. Sam Rush sacked him just as his team were flourishing.

On 30/09/2023 at 21:10, inter politics said:

Clough's teams were far more exciting. Would liken Warne's style more to Rowett.

Warne’s style is nothing like Rowett’s for me, the latter had a rigid fixed system in place. I expected him to be more like Rowett when he first took the job, but absolutely nothing like it in comparison. We (often) play a chaotic brand of football now, predicated on overloads and moving the ball forward quickly at pace. Rowett’s football was massively structured. Defensively minded, structure that led almost no gaps to be exploited and then get the ball into the feet of your playmakers. Warne is the most cavalier manager I can remember, certainly of the past 20 years, he encourages a lot of risk-taking from his players, he likes to see his wingers run at players and he likes difficult passes being played.

Rowett liked a back 6/7, with a big lad upfront and 2/3 playmakers off him. Solid back four, two defensive midfielders infront of them. Forsyth and Wisdom at full back. Ledley and Huddlestone in CM. Slow, but played slow and were drilled to not leave gaps. It made life difficult for other teams. A safety first approach, as I said, deeply structure and intensely pragmatic.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We dropped to an average of 23,000 in Clough's last season.

Two of the best games i've ever seen were under Nige. Yeovil and Millwall away, total football similar to the Dutch and Ajax teams of the early/mid 70's. Sam Rush sacked him just as his team were flourishing.

Somewhat contradictory! Claiming  Clough was sacked when the team were flourishing yet providing the dire attendances at that time. He had 4 years and we were going nowhere , with little entertainment. Warne has had 12 months and massive restrictions on signings, with no Barker type fees. His football is no better but he deserves more time

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Somewhat contradictory! Claiming  Clough was sacked when the team were flourishing yet providing the dire attendances at that time. He had 4 years and we were going nowhere , with little entertainment. Warne has had 12 months and massive restrictions on signings, with no Barker type fees. His football is no better but he deserves more time

23000 wasn’t awful. We were always top 2/3 in the division. It was just lower than when we were in the prem. I’d like a comparison to the Terry Westley season attendances the year before Davies took us up as a fairer comparison rather than a prem season and a season where we were expected to go straight back up. 

On 30/09/2023 at 21:10, inter politics said:

Clough's teams were far more exciting. Would liken Warne's style more to Rowett.

Disagree with this. Whilst Rowett’s mantra is on the negative side up until February our counter attack was clinical.

I don’t mind us having only 3 chances a match if we score them all, better than having 20 and scoring none (Cocu/Rosenior).

Just catching up after a week away. Whether you rated Clough or not or any of the following managers for that matter, one thing is becoming apparent. 

A lot of people are finding the current attempts at football boring. 

For context we had matches last season ie Bristol R and Morecambe at home were we obliterated the opposition. I can’t see us doing that with anyone this season. We’ve just seemed to steadily decline under Warne with no signs of an upturn.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

23000 wasn’t awful. We were always top 2/3 in the division. It was just lower than when we were in the prem. I’d like a comparison to the Terry Westley season attendances the year before Davies took us up as a fairer comparison rather than a prem season and a season where we were expected to go straight back up. 

Average attendance in 2005/06 was 24,166. Does that help?

5 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Would love a “Barker type fee” now!

oh how pathetic that saying was like we was meant to feel sorry for his tight restrictions. Connor Sammon over a million anybody. Can we have “Sammon type fees” too please!

Some people on here say it’s a results business and it doesn’t matter about the style of football as long as we win. Maybe that’s true for some but it should also be about entertainment. It costs me around £3700 a season following the team home and away. I live over 100 miles from Derby so every game is an effort to get to, especially financially during a cost of living crisis such as we are in. For that effort and expenditure I’d like to see some exciting football, have something to look forward to every weekend. Instead, I’m finding reasons not to go to midweek home matches or away games that in other times I might have made the effort to attend. The only time I’ve felt this disinterested about the Rams before was during the latter end of Clough/Rowett era’s. I’m so bored I can barely be bothered but I keep plugging away in the hope that things will change, despite evidence to the contrary. 
It’s become simple for me. If PW doesn’t get us promoted at the end of this season and he is still the manager for the following season I will not be renewing my season ticket. I cannot face paying to watch another season of his brand of football.

Edited by Jayram

So the fans arguing about how good Clough was I'm presuming this is to convince others that Warne deserves more time? What are the similarities between the two, other than the football played was/is decisive? I think Clough knew what he was aiming for I see no sign of that from Warne other than trying to win without being really attack-minded?

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Some people on here say it’s a results business and it doesn’t matter about the style of football as long as we win. Maybe that’s true for some but it should also be about entertainment. It costs me around £3700 a season following the team home and away. I live over 100 miles from Derby so every game is an effort to get to, especially financially during a cost of living crisis such as we are in. For that effort and expenditure I’d like to see some exciting football, have something to look forward to every weekend. Instead, I’m finding reasons not to go to midweek home matches or away games that in other times I might have made the effort to attend. The only time I’ve felt this disinterested about the Rams before was during the latter end of Clough/Rowett era’s. I’m so bored I can barely be bothered but I keep plugging away in the hope that things will change, despite evidence to the contrary. 
It’s become simple for me. If PW doesn’t get us promoted at the end of this season and he is still the manager for the following season I will not be renewing my season ticket. I cannot face paying to watch another season of his brand of football.

I don’t think there are many honest supporter that would say it’s JUST about results or JUST about performances. The thing is though, the relative importance of these two factors fluctuates. For example, I would imagine that most people, including those attending, would rather take ugly wins at Blackpool and Cheltenham than scintillating draws or narrow undeserved defeats. Same probably applies to our next couple of home games. Right now, we need to get results in order to get us up in the mix for those automatic promotion places or at the very least the play offs. However, if we did manage to find ourselves in a strong position in the league, the importance of the performance may increase. 

Even your own scenario is an interesting example. Assuming PW is still the manager, would you be more likely to renew if we got promoted playing his style of football or if we just missed out on promotion but were somehow playing much more entertaining football? Maybe you’d say both criteria need to be met for you which, is fair enough.

Edited by Tamworthram

14 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Fans seem to forget that there are 11 opposition players out there doing their level best to stop us. If they do their jobs well, and Cambridge were very well organised and disciplined in their game plan execution, any team is going to struggle to win.

Cambridge were absolutely bang average, we could easily get down both flanks yet their keeper only made 2 saves. Not at one point during the game did I think, ooo Cambridge are defending well here.

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

Would love a “Barker type fee” now!

oh how pathetic that saying was like we was meant to feel sorry for his tight restrictions. Connor Sammon over a million anybody. Can we have “Sammon type fees” too please!

I think the Sammon signing probably cost Nigel his job. But previous to that , if I remember rightly Clough was not allowed to play Steve Davis because of the cost of add-ons? His two other Scottish signings - Bryson and Russell were superb.

17 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Best 90 minutes of football we've produced this season.

Fans seem to forget that there are 11 opposition players out there doing their level best to stop us. If they do their jobs well, and Cambridge were very well organised and disciplined in their game plan execution, any team is going to struggle to win.

You sound like that sort of person that buys a pack of jam doughnuts, bites into it and there’re no jam. But your content so carry on eating it, no need to take it back or complain.

4 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I think the Sammon signing probably cost Nigel his job. But previous to that , if I remember rightly Clough was not allowed to play Steve Davis because of the cost of add-ons? His two other Scottish signings - Bryson and Russell were superb.

Recruitment of Bryson and Russell both excellent yes. He had some decent budget when you think about it but overall was successful in recruitment. Sammon tarnished it but he gets away with it with all the good ones to be fair. 

Football was a lot better in the latter days of Nigel than it is now. Reckon we were better at home, too.

I don't want us to sack yet another manager and think we need stability but I'm not going to pretend that the football is good. Or even that it's OK. It's dross. 

I think unfortunately, our team on Saturday was one that had neither of our most cultured players in the form of Hourihane and Bird. Sure, we created some decent chances but for all that we seemed to control possession, we never really did so in areas that created a consistent threat. Aside from the first 15-20 mins where they were a bit more front foot, , Cambridge seemed content for us to have the ball in our own half and we knocked it about without seemingly much of a plan or any ability to really carve them open. As soon as we got to the final 3rd we looked like we'd run out of ideas and we either hit the first defender with the cross or overshot everyone. Certainly poor execution hampered us but the strategy seemed to be what the players were asked to do.

You need to give some credit to Cambridge but I honestly think that the way we played would make anyone look organised and disciplined. We just had no cutting edge and our sole plan seemed to be to dash down the flanks, bang a cross in, and hope that someone could get on the end. We never looked like we were going to pick anyone out by threading a ball through, or curl one into the top corner. It was pure percentages football where if we hit enough crosses in then something will probably happen. We also seemed reluctant to shoot from the edge of the box which seemed odd. We always seemed to want to push it out wide and then try to bang a cross in and hope for the best and any well-drilled defence will lap that up all day with our lack of much of an aerial threat.

Hopefully Hourihane returning can give us a bit of much needed guile but the tactics need to be more than just hit and hope crossing.