Its like Clough all over again...... Bored Stiff Today!

RAM1966

51 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

Best recruitment over the past 10/15 years was from Nigel Clough and he spent next to nothing….

Indeed, but then Mac took those players and turned them into a couple of levels above. I think that's the point. Recruitment was a strength of the Clough era, apart from maybe picking Conor Sammon when deciding between him and Jamie Vardy - both with the same price tag.

11 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

Before you slate me, Clough had a talented team, he was too negative, Stevie Mac turned us into an attacking outfit overnight!!!!  That's not the issue with Warne as we were camped in their half for large spells of the game, that said I was bored stiff today, just like Cloughs football. 

I felt like going home at HT, I stayed obviously, the footie got worse not better, we just can not seem to brake teams down that come for a draw!

Stevie Mac part 3 anyone?  The football was never boring, it had us on the edge of our seats............ 

people moaned there was no plan b under mac

i know the obvious answer to that is that warne seemingly has no plan A 

people like to moan 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Indeed, but then Mac took those players and turned them into a couple of levels above. I think that's the point. Recruitment was a strength of the Clough era, apart from maybe picking Conor Sammon when deciding between him and Jamie Vardy - both with the same price tag.

U mean The much maligned simon clough. Who only got the job cos his brother was the gaffer

some people dont half talk s*** (not aimed at u buddy) 

12 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

Before you slate me, Clough had a talented team, he was too negative, Stevie Mac turned us into an attacking outfit overnight!!!!  That's not the issue with Warne as we were camped in their half for large spells of the game, that said I was bored stiff today, just like Cloughs football. 

I felt like going home at HT, I stayed obviously, the footie got worse not better, we just can not seem to brake teams down that come for a draw!

Stevie Mac part 3 anyone?  The football was never boring, it had us on the edge of our seats............ 

Clough was working under the mindset that we needed to stay in the division first, aim for promotion second, whilst decimating the budget year on year. Did a fantastic job over his time here and some of the attacking football we played at times was as good as anything served up by Mac, it’s just Mac served it up a lot more often and Clough was very very quick to revert back to defensive play whenever things got a bit tough. 

Remember the year Southampton went up we were top with them after 4 straight wins at the start of the season playing excellent football. Then a tough run of games happened and he reverted back to dragging ourselves to 50 points. 

Tired of the disrespect shown to our most important manager since Jim Smith. 

Edited by IlsonDerby

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh I knew Connor sammon would be raised when talking about clough’s recruitment. Every manager at every club makes dud signings no matter who/where we’re talking. There were other dud signings no doubt during his reign. 
If we want to talk about dud signings though look at every manager DCFC have had since and the number of bad signings that have been made whilst splashing millions 

14 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Clough was working under the mindset that we needed to stay in the division first, aim for promotion second, whilst decimating the budget year on year. Did a fantastic job over his time here and some of the attacking football we played at times was as good as anything served up by Mac, it’s just Mac served it up a lot more often and Clough was very very quick to revert back to defensive play whenever things got a bit tough. 

Remember the year Southampton went up we were top with them after 4 straight wins at the start of the season playing excellent football. Then a tough run of games happened and he reverted back to dragging ourselves to 50 points. 

We have very different recollections, Clough served up negative terrible football, he's happy not to lose,  I don't spend my hard earmed on hoping for a draw.  His father said he had no ambition and he was right.

I was close to giving up my Season Ticket under his stewardship.....  The crowds dropped massively during his time, says it all really!!!!

Edited by RAM1966

10 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I wasn't trying to be controversial or dismissive Angie but in the history of this great club, at the moment we are crap in my opinion. Our current position of 12th in the third tier is our rock-bottom in our 135 years in the EFL. But I agree with you that Warne has not got the blend right, that's why we're twelfth and rock-bottom. But it's only my opinion. We've taken just 11 points in the last 11 home League games and I sincerely hope that even Paul Warne would admit that's crap. If not it's even more worrying.

Yes, what I meant was that the players we have aren't as bad as what we are seeing on the pitch. That's down to the way they are being set up, imo.

I am reluctant to use that as an anti-Warne argument but I do wish he'd learn something along the way.

21 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

We have very different recollections, Clough served up negative terrible football, he's happy not to lose,  I don't spend my hard earmed on hoping for a draw.  His father said he had no ambition and he was right.

I was close to giving up my Season Ticket under his stewardship.....  The crowds dropped massively during his time, says it all really!!!!

The crowds dropped from a promotion season to several seasons consolidating in the second division and trying to fix the issues of having a squad of about 30 over paid players? Who’d have guessed. 

Some of it was turgid but by the end we had been through several spells of excellent attacking football before he panicked and reverted back to ‘don’t lose first, win second’ mentality. 

Honestly the most enjoyable spell I watched us play was with Kuqi, Commons and Bueno playing up top. 

Ultimately his slow rise up the league 20th up to 10th over 4 full years?) Needed accelerating with a bit of extra investment which Mac seemed to get in the loans we were able to bring in. 

Can you honestly say that any one of our managers since have left the club in a better position than they found it? Because Clough can make that claim. 

Edited by IlsonDerby

39 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

To add to this we had just fallen out of the premierhship as a disgrace … jewell then littered our squad with a plethora of absolute dog s**** players on decent contracts who clough had to literally freeze out of the squad to try and force them out of the club and off the wage bill. He then had to replace with bargain basement and kids all under the tight measures set by the americans and their plan to make us sustainable which basically meant we were under austerity measures. 
how many times did he have to name an incomplete bench that was made up largly of kids?

He steared us through and incredibly difficult time that under other managers could have ended far far worse.

im as critical as anyone for his sometimes frustratingly negative approach and trying and failing to see the game out by brining on another centre half and inviting pressure. Boro away still sticks in my head. 

but if ur talking recruitment of players then in my lifetime smith and clough stand out by a distance.

honourable mentions to burley and billy… til he got us promoted 

9 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Can you honestly say that any one of our managers since have left the club in a better position than they found it? Because Clough can make that claim. 

Depends what metric you are alluding to when you say better position.

In pure league stats all of the managers post Clough have been equally as good or as bad as him as none have managed to elevate the club from the league we were playing in when Clough was removed. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Depends what metric you are alluding to when you say better position.

In pure league stats all of the managers post Clough have been equally as good or as bad as him as none have managed to elevate the club from the league we were playing in when Clough was removed. 

No I just meant in comparative terms to when they arrived. 

Have any managers improved us in their tenure? 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

No I just meant in comparative terms to when they arrived. 

Have any managers improved us in their tenure? 

Again focusing solely on league placement Billy Davies - joined us when we were in the Championship, departed when we were in the Premiership 

I think the title sums it up how I think certain fans think. 

No matter what happened, Nigel Clough was never good enough for Derby County. No matter what will happen, Paul Warne will never be seen as good enough for Derby County. 

Clough reset the club after the worst season any of us could imagine, it took time on a limited budget but he lay the path for what Mclaren should have achieved. Warne is the next one trying to build something long term.

Sorry, I just don’t get the entitlement

Both in similarities in a rebuild job, think the name Clough pacified a lot of us

This season however, with the players we have in a poor league is frustrating, warne needs to play how he talks, where is the fast attack intent? Poor in midfield and attack, defence looks ok but teams have worked us out on the ball wide to mendez-laing, he looks a poor player so far, with confidence he'd of bagged that chance in the 1st minute 

25 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think the title sums it up how I think certain fans think. 

No matter what happened, Nigel Clough was never good enough for Derby County. No matter what will happen, Paul Warne will never be seen as good enough for Derby County. 

Clough reset the club after the worst season any of us could imagine, it took time on a limited budget but he lay the path for what Mclaren should have achieved. Warne is the next one trying to build something long term.

Sorry, I just don’t get the entitlement

Rosenior was the one who reset the Club. Warne is just next one down the line. Maybe there's some who didn't/don't like the idea of Warne's football long term?

14 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

we broke them down just the touches to put in the box weren’t there today.

we beat full backs regularly, got crosses in regularly