Its like Clough all over again...... Bored Stiff Today!

RAM1966

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Some people on here say it’s a results business and it doesn’t matter about the style of football as long as we win. Maybe that’s true for some but it should also be about entertainment. It costs me around £3700 a season following the team home and away. I live over 100 miles from Derby so every game is an effort to get to, especially financially during a cost of living crisis such as we are in. For that effort and expenditure I’d like to see some exciting football, have something to look forward to every weekend. Instead, I’m finding reasons not to go to midweek home matches or away games that in other times I might have made the effort to attend. The only time I’ve felt this disinterested about the Rams before was during the latter end of Clough/Rowett era’s. I’m so bored I can barely be bothered but I keep plugging away in the hope that things will change, despite evidence to the contrary. 
It’s become simple for me. If PW doesn’t get us promoted at the end of this season and he is still the manager for the following season I will not be renewing my season ticket. I cannot face paying to watch another season of his brand of football.

Living in Kent, your post sums my own position up perfectly, justifying to my other half is becoming difficult....when I talk about the game all i seem to do is find fault and don't seem happy and she said " why do you go if you don't enjoy it ? "

Of course i go I love going to games the excitement and pre match build up still makes me tingle and the nerves still kick in just before kick off of every game but then the game starts .....and I do wonder more often than not lately what the hell am I doing ? 

The last time i had this same feeling was under Rowett, I want to see us going for it, attacking and looking positive especially at home and after a year of PW who i like ,  I'm finding a lot of the games very disappointing regardless of the result.

When we lost under Mac for example I was looking forward to the next game as I liked the way we played , we didn't always win of course but it was heaps better than what I'm watching at the mo , L1 doesn't mean just play percentage football as it won't bode well for the championship , I've said it before but for goodness sake build a young football side that play good football , a team that won't need much tinkering with in the championship as I don't see many of this squad being around in the league above, that has got to be our aim surely , looking ahead with a view to hitting the ground running if we go up, not having to tear most of the team up and start again  

24 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I think the Sammon signing probably cost Nigel his job. But previous to that , if I remember rightly Clough was not allowed to play Steve Davis because of the cost of add-ons? His two other Scottish signings - Bryson and Russell were superb.

Sammon honestly wasn't so bad. If we'd got him when we originally went in for him at £400,000 he'd still be viewed as a flop, but not a disaster. Clough's big mistake was going back in for him at three times that price despite the huge red warning flag of his complete failure at Wigan. Clough really could get bizarrely fixated on a player that had no obvious positive attributes. How many times did he try to get Ryan Noble from Sunderland? A player that screamed non league journeyman the loudest since the heady days of Nick Chadwick.

Oxford were nearly relegated last season on the last day. Have recruited really well and are now flying. (No coincidence since the recruitment guy left for us) 

Portsmouth kept there core squad together and recruited frees and loans and are flying.

exeter the same and Lincoln. All were behind us last season. Smaller budgets surely but have got managers in with an identity on how they want to play and have recruited exceptionally well. Is on the other hand look like we’ve just launched bodies in with no plan and have shaped a squad that should have improved considering the manager has had a whole summer and most of last season and have somehow gone backwards. I don’t know what the game plan is and thus far teams have worked it out. On Saturday Cambridge knew exactly what we tried to do

I never wanted Warne in the first place. He's a small club manager & Clowes should have recruited somebody of stature who can handle the expectation levels. The recruitment has also been abysmal in both permanent & loans, & that again comes down to having a nobody as manager. Can't attract quality permanents & Premier League clubs are reluctant to send their young starlets on loan to be "coached" by Warne & his backroom team. It won't end well for him. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So the fans arguing about how good Clough was I'm presuming this is to convince others that Warne deserves more time? What are the similarities between the two, other than the football played was/is decisive? I think Clough knew what he was aiming for I see no sign of that from Warne other than trying to win without being really attack-minded?

Boring, predictable and non-factual

2 hours ago, PrideParkhead said:

I never wanted Warne in the first place. He's a small club manager & Clowes should have recruited somebody of stature who can handle the expectation levels. The recruitment has also been abysmal in both permanent & loans, & that again comes down to having a nobody as manager. Can't attract quality permanents & Premier League clubs are reluctant to send their young starlets on loan to be "coached" by Warne & his backroom team. It won't end well for him. 

Very self indulgent post.

Have you ever considered that we couldn't afford to release from their contract the type of manager you allude to, or that those whom were out of contract didn't fancy managing a League 1 club?

Cart before the horse am afraid - you should be asking why we weren't able to recruit a manager of the calibre you describe rather than slate the person we were able to attract.

11 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Somewhat contradictory! Claiming  Clough was sacked when the team were flourishing yet providing the dire attendances at that time. He had 4 years and we were going nowhere , with little entertainment. Warne has had 12 months and massive restrictions on signings, with no Barker type fees. His football is no better but he deserves more time

Cough signed over 60 players in his tenure, and the team were not flourishing at the end. His last game in charge was a dismal defeat 3-0 (?) at home to somebody I cannot recall, he played Hughes as a sub on the right wing. There is a lot of sympathy for but it tints the facts a little bit. He was stubborn, and still is. 

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Cambridge were absolutely bang average, we could easily get down both flanks yet their keeper only made 2 saves. Not at one point during the game did I think, ooo Cambridge are defending well here.

Final ball was the let down. Barks looking up to see who's where and then not finding them with the pass. All that while his namesake in the co-commentary seat is saying he shouldn't look up, just hit it...

Still our best 90 minutes this season.

4 hours ago, McMuffin said:

You sound like that sort of person that buys a pack of jam doughnuts, bites into it and there’re no jam. But your content so carry on eating it, no need to take it back or complain.

I would never buy doughnuts of any kind 😉

Many expected us to hammer Cambridge for no other reason than we are Derby and they are Cambridge. Big gates v small gates. Rich history v poor history etc. They are only behind us on GD. I posted pre match it would be a difficult game. Now folk all over social media are saying we'll hammer Blackpool and they are 1 point and 1 place above us having beaten Barnsley away at the weekend. 

I was far more content with the 90 minutes football against Cambridge than I was that against Blackpool in the League Cup. That was dire. When it's dire, I'll say so. Cambridge defended very well and we helped them out with a poor final pass. The rest of our game was OK or better. 3rd clean sheet on the bounce.

Reverse the poor refereeing decisions against Wigan and Bolton (I know we can't but...) and we'd be 4 points better off and in 3rd place. There have been some poor games, some average ones a some good ones although most of the good ones were more good spells like the mad 20 odd minutes at Peterborough...

If I was the Head Coach I would be reasonably happy with Saturday's performance but looking how to improve that final ball. I like Collo's work rate but, as a centre forward, I'd want him in the box more often. If he can't manage that, I'd drop him to the bench. I'd love to give Sibs a run at #10, his best position rather than wide left or wide right or left back where he's been played for the past God knows how long. Sibs at 10, Waggy at 9. Good partnership in the offing there, IMO. It's not perfect. Far from it. However, it's nowhere near as dire as many on "social media" seem to think.

4 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Oxford were nearly relegated last season on the last day. Have recruited really well and are now flying. (No coincidence since the recruitment guy left for us) 

Portsmouth kept there core squad together and recruited frees and loans and are flying.

exeter the same and Lincoln. All were behind us last season. Smaller budgets surely but have got managers in with an identity on how they want to play and have recruited exceptionally well. Is on the other hand look like we’ve just launched bodies in with no plan and have shaped a squad that should have improved considering the manager has had a whole summer and most of last season and have somehow gone backwards. I don’t know what the game plan is and thus far teams have worked it out. On Saturday Cambridge knew exactly what we tried to do

Oxford and Lincoln both have good recent records in League 1, with a few exceptions. Portsmouth are amongst the biggest clubs at this level and have finished in the top 10 year on year since 2017. 

They are all teams who aren’t immediate favourites but know that they are one good window or the right appointment away from everything clicking and being competitive at the right end of the table. If Bolton, Barnsley, Peterborough and ourselves don’t click, there is a window of opportunity for those teams.

The only surprises so far are Exeter and Stevenage. Exeter have lost eight or more important first team players and it has actually galvanised them. Stevenage just seem to have carried the momentum from their promotion season into this one and they seemingly have also benefited from some favourable fixtures.

Bear in mind though, the pressure of being at Stevenage or Exeter is a long way away from what it is here. Often it’s easier to play and flourish without pressure and go under the radar.

Also bear in mind, we are only 9-10 games in. We could overtake each and every one of those teams as the season progresses. The concern would be if we are behind these teams with 7 games to play, not 37.

55 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I would never buy doughnuts of any kind 😉

Many expected us to hammer Cambridge for no other reason than we are Derby and they are Cambridge. Big gates v small gates. Rich history v poor history etc. They are only behind us on GD. I posted pre match it would be a difficult game. Now folk all over social media are saying we'll hammer Blackpool and they are 1 point and 1 place above us having beaten Barnsley away at the weekend. 

I was far more content with the 90 minutes football against Cambridge than I was that against Blackpool in the League Cup. That was dire. When it's dire, I'll say so. Cambridge defended very well and we helped them out with a poor final pass. The rest of our game was OK or better. 3rd clean sheet on the bounce.

Reverse the poor refereeing decisions against Wigan and Bolton (I know we can't but...) and we'd be 4 points better off and in 3rd place. There have been some poor games, some average ones a some good ones although most of the good ones were more good spells like the mad 20 odd minutes at Peterborough...

If I was the Head Coach I would be reasonably happy with Saturday's performance but looking how to improve that final ball. I like Collo's work rate but, as a centre forward, I'd want him in the box more often. If he can't manage that, I'd drop him to the bench. I'd love to give Sibs a run at #10, his best position rather than wide left or wide right or left back where he's been played for the past God knows how long. Sibs at 10, Waggy at 9. Good partnership in the offing there, IMO. It's not perfect. Far from it. However, it's nowhere near as dire as many on "social media" seem to think.

Sorry but this constant guff about 'many fans' expecting is to win games on name alone, and "crying in their beer because we aren't clear at the top" really does you no favours. 

At least, that is,  if you're referring to posts on here and not Twitter, which I really don't believe should be brought into the discussion on a standalone forum like this one, being as it is (Twitter/X) a different world, full to the brim with idiots who's opinions I'd consider to be mainly coming from one of two types of fan - the overly dramatic, attention seeking variety, or the sycophantic goons who think sucking up to someone famous and tagging them in will somehow gain them recognition and make them feel all important and 'seen'. Very little in between, and in an abysmal format which limits people's ability to express themselves in full.

That's not to say there aren't a few 'mad-heads' on here who only talk in extremes, but even in their defence, having bigger gates does allow us more financial muscle, it has allowed us to employ someone who is no doubt amongst the highest earning managers in the league and sign players on wages other teams can't afford. It's hardly unreasonable to expect that this should provide us with some advantage.

Anyway, moving on...

Cambridge was better in the sense that we saw more of the ball than we usually do, but it was still a poor imitation of some of the games we played well in last season, for whatever reason. Could be the injuries, could be the lack of McGoldrick, could be the lack of any real pace in the team, could be that teams are now fully prepared for what we have to throw at them because our play is so predictable.

You keep on bringing up refereeing decisions for events which happened in the first half or first hour of a match and then talking in absolutes as to how it would alter our league placing when it's impossible to say how the match would have played out had things gone the other way. Blaming referees for us not being 4 points better off is a weak defence.

A weak defence... a bit like ours was early in the season when playing Warne's favoured system which left them so exposed. Thankfully we've sorted out our own weak defence by going with the back 4, but as with last season it's been forced on Warne by injuries and poor performances.

It's an improvement in spite of the manager but instead of embracing it he's eager to move away from it as soon as possible. It isn't how he wants us to set up and game after game he reminds us of this with his tactical changes and subs.

Your hope to see Sibley have a run of games as a #10? Good luck with that, I would like it too (even if it's a run of 30 minute sub appearances) - Warne had the chance to do that on Saturday, he passed it up by putting Sibley at LWB. I think the only time you'll get your wish is once we've gone fully back to the wingback system, but then Sibley will be competing for that spot with NML, who Warne plays as often as he humanly can.

Edited by Kokosnuss

14 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Sorry but this constant guff about 'many fans' expecting is to win games on name alone, and "crying in their beer because we aren't clear at the top" really does you no favours. 

If you'd read my post properly you would have seen that I mentioned "social media". So not just this forum.

We were ready to challenge a year earlier but Clough kept the hand break on. We played good football and battered everyone at home but set up defensively away.

By the time 13/14 came around, teams knew we were good at home so set up to counter us but we finally took the breaks off and started battering everyone away.

If he’d have been brave a year sooner we’d have made the play-offs.

23 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Oxford and Lincoln both have good recent records in League 1, with a few exceptions. Portsmouth are amongst the biggest clubs at this level and have finished in the top 10 year on year since 2017. 

They are all teams who aren’t immediate favourites but know that they are one good window or the right appointment away from everything clicking and being competitive at the right end of the table. If Bolton, Barnsley, Peterborough and ourselves don’t click, there is a window of opportunity for those teams.

The only surprises so far are Exeter and Stevenage. Exeter have lost eight or more important first team players and it has actually galvanised them. Stevenage just seem to have carried the momentum from their promotion season into this one and they seemingly have also benefited from some favourable fixtures.

Bear in mind though, the pressure of being at Stevenage or Exeter is a long way away from what it is here. Often it’s easier to play and flourish without pressure and go under the radar.

Also bear in mind, we are only 9-10 games in. We could overtake each and every one of those teams as the season progresses. The concern would be if we are behind these teams with 7 games to play, not 37.

Did you not see us towards the end of last season. The type of players we have recruited this window are either past there best, come back from injuries or injury prone. The way warne plays these players will be gassed out by march again. They already look knackered 9 games in. This team and manager will not get into the playoffs