Can anyone actually name a single improvement Warne has done since arriving?

GeneralRam

14 hours ago, 8Leeds said:

Wave Smile GIF by The Gathering Church

14 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

I don't like the barrage of similar threads either, there's nothing worse than a pile-on, but when Warne stops repeatedly producing poor football, people will stop repetitively reinforcing their opinions.

Again there's always the alternative option, which is create a thread which (constructively or othererwise) counters the points they feel they need to keep raising, and stop bloody whinging about other people.

That said, I'm being a hypocrite (sort of) by suggesting that because I'm new-thread averse!

Perhaps a “For Warne” and “Anti-Warne” folder?

On 16/09/2023 at 19:58, deanoakaram4life said:

The problem with him for me is that he talks about a high pressing, all guns blazing approach but the amount of times we sat deep today was concerning. Every time we defended a set piece, every single player was back! After we scored we again….. sat back! 

I'm one of the "always have at least one man up" brigade. Warne disagrees. He has stated that he has all 11 back at corners, free kicks and long throws to prevent the opposition having space in the box. Reduces the chances of them scoring and it's not going to change.

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I'm one of the "always have at least one man up" brigade. Warne disagrees. He has stated that he has all 11 back at corners, free kicks and long throws to prevent the opposition having space in the box. Reduces the chances of them scoring and it's not going to change.

Sigh. I've never been convinced it's the best approach, it keeps the pressure on you and makes life easier for the other side. A defence that knows what it's doing is preferable to having another of your attacking players standing around to just be there.

34 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Sigh. I've never been convinced it's the best approach, it keeps the pressure on you and makes life easier for the other side. A defence that knows what it's doing is preferable to having another of your attacking players standing around to just be there.

No, me neither because I think the tendency is for the ball to just come straight back at you and I also think that you are more likely to get a clumsy tackle in your own box from someone who is not a defender. It just makes sense to me to put one of your quicker players up the pitch so you have someone to chase a clearance and let everyone push up. The attacking team is not likely to leave just one player back then to mark them as that is a high risk approach as they may slip or get beaten for pace so it pulls a couple of players out of the attack.

In terms of Warne's idea that it prevents the opposition having space, well the counter to that is that it is increasingly difficult for your keeper to claim the ball though a more congested penalty area. Warne being Warne, I'm sure that he has decided on this tactic through analysing some stats but it feels counterintuitive to me.

16 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

No, me neither because I think the tendency is for the ball to just come straight back at you and I also think that you are more likely to get a clumsy tackle in your own box from someone who is not a defender. It just makes sense to me to put one of your quicker players up the pitch so you have someone to chase a clearance and let everyone push up. The attacking team is not likely to leave just one player back then to mark them as that is a high risk approach as they may slip or get beaten for pace so it pulls a couple of players out of the attack.

In terms of Warne's idea that it prevents the opposition having space, well the counter to that is that it is increasingly difficult for your keeper to claim the ball though a more congested penalty area. Warne being Warne, I'm sure that he has decided on this tactic through analysing some stats but it feels counterintuitive to me.

I’ve seen a few comments about this subject.  Let’s be fair to Warne and not use it as a stick to beat him, he’s not the only one who does this.  Most teams drag everyone back nowadays for corners.

I’m not a fan of it and I’m old school.  Man mark (space has never scored a goal), man on each post and at least one man in the half-way line area.  The opposition always have one man back, plus the keeper.  If you put a man near the half-way line they’ll keep another one back so that’s 3.  Plus the corner taker means there’s only 7 in box.  This is verses 10 (inc keeper) of the defending team in and around the defensive penalty area.  Surely 10 can beat 7.  I also think it makes it easier for the keeper to claim the ball in a less crowded box and gives him a quick outlet.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

You n me both but PW has his theory and will stick with it come hell or high water

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

We have scored in every game so far this season. 

Every league game.

Not that it counts for much when the only teams we've been able to stop scoring against us sit 22nd and 24th in the league having only scored 5 goals in 14 matches between them.

Edited by Kokosnuss