Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith 

Smith Nelson Cashin Fozzy

Fornah Embleton Hourihane 

NML TJJ Waghorn

Don't disagree with your selection........but Elder has been doing preview interviews which suggests he'll play. 

Even Elder's mum wouldn't pick him ahead of Fozzy on current form so suspect we'll be 3/5 at the back.

12 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Don't disagree with your selection........but Elder has been doing preview interviews which suggests he'll play. 

Even Elder's mum wouldn't pick him ahead of Fozzy on current form so suspect we'll be 3/5 at the back.

Think Washington will play but prefer other options up top…

5 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Of course not. 3-4-3 is exactly the same as 4-4-2 as far as the midfield 4 are concerned surely. One less defender and one more up front, so a more attacking formation

The wide men in a 3-4-3 are the only protection for the wings.

The personnel deployed in the 3-man defence are unlikely to be pacy enough to handle an opposition winger.

Smith and Hourihane barely have enough puff to waddle around in midfield let alone covering forward and back.

Tickets have been selling steadily for this game with just under 3,000 left for Derby supporters.

Portsmouth have sold around 3,000 so probably looking at around 29,000 attendance.

Not bad for a cat A match at £33 a ticket for the West and East stands and the team playing rubbish football and heading for league two.😉

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Of course not. 3-4-3 is exactly the same as 4-4-2 as far as the midfield 4 are concerned surely. One less defender and one more up front, so a more attacking formation

So what's the plan for defending the wider areas in our own third? 

You either spread the back 3 out wide to try and cover the whole pitch, which is what leaves the central guy exposed with massive gaps either side of him.  I.e. a big part of why Sonny Bradley has looked so bad so far.

Or you have the wider midfielders cover them, in which case they are functionally wingbacks whatever you might think.

Or you just stay tight centrally and don't defend them at all, in which case you are giving the other team free reign to pump as many crosses into our box as they like.

Pick one.

18 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I'm a bit worried that Warne said Bolton was his favourite performance this season.   I mean WTF???  I think we're losing tomorrow.  Need a much better start than the last game.

I think he said: it was in a strange way nearly his favourite game of the season (rather than performance but I’d have to watch it again to be sure) because despite playing away against a good team we could have come away with a point or even three if it hadn’t been for that pesky referee.