Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

I know the season is barely underway but this feels like a huge game already for some reason. A win here feels like it would be a significant moment after the Bolton setback. Last year we failed to impress against promotion rivals but if we can see these off plus the win over Peterborough then it feels much more positive than the general mood on here.

I'd like to see us be on the front foot and get at them. They have a really tight defence so I hope they don't score first and sit in.

Back on topic for the match, Warne has said before he doesn’t like to change a winning team, as we lost the last game he’s got chance to make changes for this game. A couple of the players should be building up their fitness after injury (mainly Sibley and Barkhuizen), the new signings have had chance to train with their team mates, so while we do still have injuries to deal with there’s the chance to put out a competitive side. I’d like to see (but don’t necessarily think this is what Warne would choose) this;

Wildsmith

Smith  Nelson  Cashin  Forsyth

Fornah

Embleton        Hourihane

NML         Waghorn       Sibley

Bench: Vickers, Bradley, Elder, Radcliffe, TJJ, Washington, Barkhuizen

There’s a lack of pace at the back so would just tell them to be solid and keep it simple, Fornah to screen the back 4 and get us moving forward, Hourihane to link defence and attack, Embleton to drive forward from midfield, and the front 3 to be a bit more fluid/varied in their play. At times NML and Sibley play as orthodox wide men, other times Waggy drops deep and they fill the space…..that sort of thing 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I realise it won’t happen that way, but it’s what I’d like to see. 

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Back on topic for the match, Warne has said before he doesn’t like to change a winning team, as we lost the last game he’s got chance to make changes for this game. A couple of the players should be building up their fitness after injury (mainly Sibley and Barkhuizen), the new signings have had chance to train with their team mates, so while we do still have injuries to deal with there’s the chance to put out a competitive side. I’d like to see (but don’t necessarily think this is what Warne would choose) this;

Wildsmith

Smith  Nelson  Cashin  Forsyth

Fornah

Embleton        Hourihane

NML         Waghorn       Sibley

Bench: Vickers, Bradley, Elder, Radcliffe, TJJ, Washington, Barkhuizen

There’s a lack of pace at the back so would just tell them to be solid and keep it simple, Fornah to screen the back 4 and get us moving forward, Hourihane to link defence and attack, Embleton to drive forward from midfield, and the front 3 to be a bit more fluid/varied in their play. At times NML and Sibley play as orthodox wide men, other times Waggy drops deep and they fill the space…..that sort of thing 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I realise it won’t happen that way, but it’s what I’d like to see. 

Like the look of that team but I'd be amazed if Sibley starts and think Warne is more likely to go with Washington or TJJ.

34 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Like the look of that team but I'd be amazed if Sibley starts and think Warne is more likely to go with Washington or TJJ.

Yeah you could be right. NML is the one I’ve got real question marks over, wonder when he travels/travelled back from international duty 🤔 

Thankfully we do seem to have some forward options at least. 

Wildsmith 

Smith Nelson Cashin Forsyth 

Fornah Hourihane

Mendez-Laing Sibley John-Jules 

Waghorn 

This is how’d I’d go, with Sibley and JJ pretty interchangeable. Wouldn’t be upset to see Embleton play either, want to see what these new lads can do. 

Although I’m sure Warne will shoehorn that team into a 5/3 back again so…

Wildsmith 

Nelson Forsyth Cashin 

NML  Fornah Hourihane Elder 

Sibley    John-Jules 

Waghorn 

On 11/09/2023 at 15:20, kevinhectoring said:

Not a single 90’ !! Not even one  

After the success against Oxford he just didn’t deliver. That’s the truth and it is a sad one 

... in a team that wasn't performing. He needs a lengthy run of games playing between MF and the striker. Only way to see if he can do at senior level what he did in the U18s way back when.

22 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Or he could take a leaf out of Thompsons book, really apply himself in training and in games, get that 10% of extra fitness and force his way into the team

Yeah and when he does that his reward will be another 10 or 20 minute cameo, maybe score a couple, maybe even win the match, and then get bumped onto the bench. 

Again. 🙄

12 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Sibley, in 4 seasons and 100 appearances has had plenty of chances, has yet to convince managers he deserves a starting place on a regular basis and is just a good squad player. The simple explanation, unlikely to be accepted by many Rams fans, is that he ain't that good. His contributions range from fabulous to anonymous, consistent he is not, and he will not be a game-changer for our season.

How many times dies this need saying? It doesn’t matter how many chances he gets if they are in the wrong position. 

Come on Warney give him a run at Number 19.

”I would live to, but I’ve just signed 3 more Number 10s. Would right wing-back be any good for you? Or goalkeeper?”

Wildcard entry! Just trying to think of something more imaginative.

Difficult to know what to do here tbh, without knowing how ready to play certain players are play after spells out, and whether to include NML from the start given he's been on international duty.

The main issue I'm having is getting any width into the team, so I'd sacrifice that for a more narrow / compact midfield and some more technical players in attack to hopefully hold it up a little so we can play through the middle.

Give Bardell a debut with Smith helping guide him through, get Elder some game time in his preferred position - these can provide some width at least (Waghorn can also drop to a wide position if needed). Fornah provides the defensive cover from midfield and has the energy to move across to help the fullbacks if needed, Embleton some attacking support and energy. John-Jules the link-up man (could build a nice little partnership with Waghorn)

Starting line-up:

startinglineup2.JPG.ad3db55f928b5be12bfe885593ead613.JPG

Bench: Vickers, Forsyth, Bradley, Sibley, Barkhuizen, Washington, NML

...but if that's a total disaster, which it probably will be, get those subs on and go more traditional! (although tbh I don't like this one and haven''t really thought it through)

boringlineup.JPG.058ab4d15f5de5cab3a2161bd9ef26a3.JPG

Edited by Kokosnuss

I've just realised I've created the perfect 50/50 balance of youth and experience there 🤣

Centre backs: Cashin - Nelson

Full backs: Bardell - Elder     

(or Cashin-Elder / Bardell-Nelson)

Non-Attacking midfielders: Fornah - Smith

Attacking midfielders: Embleton - Hourihane  (works with Sibley too)

Strikers: John-Jules - Waghorn

(GK doesn't count)

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

How many times dies this need saying? It doesn’t matter how many chances he gets if they are in the wrong position. 

Come on Warney give him a run at Number 19.

”I would live to, but I’ve just signed 3 more Number 10s. Would right wing-back be any good for you? Or goalkeeper?”

Ok, there is a point about him being played out of position (and despite what others have said I think he ended up having some OK games at LB). But we have seen plenty of Louis over the last couple of seasons and - apart from the goals against Oxford and Millwall - he has spent nearly all his time bordering on disappointing. Without fully enumerating the things that have held him back, it’s hard to accept that the player we have seen last two seasons will suddenly bloom into a ‘has to start’ player, if only he’s in the right place and the right system. And anyway, players need to show more flexibility than that. Warne has referred to him as one of our pace men. Well, Warne must know how pacey he is in a straight line but that pace (does it really exist?) is rarely converted into effectiveness and he too often is just slightly in the wrong place or hurried. There is no doubt he can tuck chances away every once in a while (which was presumably why Warne continued to show faith in him end of last season). He often crosses nicely and there’s no doubt that he can carve an effective line through a defence. But the evidence of the last two seasons is not compelling and is there for us all to see. 

19? 🤔 

14 minutes ago, Archied said:

This is a must win game ,,,, I couldn’t survive the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here if we don’t win it , not to mention reams and reams of stats to prove the manager is David Brent 😂

Don’t think it is. If Warne says he’s aiming for top6 then that will have been agreed with DC and there’s a lot of the season to go.