Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

Pre-match press conference isn’t until tomorrow according to radio Derby, looking forward to hearing updates around the injured players, sounded like Wilson isn’t far away from what was said at the fans forum, plus the club put a clip out of Bird and Ward’s recovery so maybe we’ll be close to a full squad again in a couple of weeks, other than Thompson and Rooney 😢 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Pre-match press conference isn’t until tomorrow according to radio Derby, looking forward to hearing updates around the injured players, sounded like Wilson isn’t far away from what was said at the fans forum, plus the club put a clip out of Bird and Ward’s recovery so maybe we’ll be close to a full squad again in a couple of weeks, other than Thompson and Rooney 😢 

Looking at October returns for some of them…

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ward would have been crucified at my spinning class for not keeping his head still. 😂

On 08/09/2023 at 12:55, DavesaRam said:

Not this one again! Sibley's problem is that he simply isn't being given a fair crack of the whip. Ever since Rooney arrived, all he has had is being left on the bench, remember this is in a succession of teams that found it difficult to get the ball forwards, to break into the area, or actually find the net - all things which Sibley can do. When he gets onto the pitch it is often for just a few minutes, and over time it is often when the game has already been lost. Add in that when he gets on the pitch, it is also nearly always out of position. Yes his best run was at left back, out of necessity. Even when we were crying out for someone to play the Number 10 role, which his best position, it would go to someone else. And often when he has made an impact and really affected the game, he has ended up back o the bench next match, or even not in the squad!

Think back to the number of matches Tom Lawrence just drifted around achieving nothing, except picking up useless cards, but kept getting picked match after match. Hourihane went through a spell just like that. Why has Sibley never been given that luxury?

I actually expect him to pack his bags and move on, because we have signed two player who will almost certainly get picked ahead of him. Hopefully he will move to a club who will choose to use his talents, instead of squandering them.

"Why has Sibley never been given that luxury?"  Because he's a headless chicken, a la Jason Knight

On 10/09/2023 at 10:37, NottsRam77 said:

For the record i was never a tom lawrence fan… premiership quality , league 2 brain and decision making. 

I agree with what he brings to the table, ability to get a shot off

I just question why so many have passed him up starting

Hes not fast, hes not strong on the ball, hes physcially lacking … so athletically he offers us little

His touch is good sometimes and poor on others… ditto his passing.

he doesnt possess the technical grace of a ronnie willems, hes direct , eager and as u say will try and get a shot off

i dont think thats enough personally… which kinda goes along with previous managers opinions too

i just dont see it, but hey its only my opinion, iv been wrong 1000 times

999 times.

Wildsmith 

Smith Nelson Cash Elder 

Fornah 

Hourihane Embleton 

NML TJJ Waggy 

I beg you derby please just try to control the game a little bit more. 

I’ll arrive tomorrow with the same optimism as every match. I just hope that optimism lasts longer than the first ten minutes. 

On 11/09/2023 at 19:54, Gerry Daly said:

But he played brilliantly when he got his chance. Consecutive man of the match performances. Also by all accounts he has been really putting in the effort in training and impressing the manager. In pre season he played at left wing back -rather than Sibley - and gave it 100%. You and others who think Sibley is better than he is are missing the point. Football is a total meritocracy. If Sibley was good enough he would be picked. Its about results and performances, only that. Sentiment has no place  

Consecutive matches in his best position would be a big help in achieving consecutive performance awards.

40 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Consecutive matches in his best position would be a big help in achieving consecutive performance awards.

I think Warne pretty much confirmed to the letter what I have been saying about Sibley. And Thompson for that matter. He said that Last season Thompson wasn’t showing enough in training and was told he needed to up his game and get fitter in the close season. He did so and deserved his selection and Warne says we are now missing him. Warne said he rates Sibley and he thinks he should be in the side in the number 10 position but he again needs to up his game to cement a regular stating place in that position. If he does so he will be first choice I’m certain of that

14 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith 

Smith Nelson Cashin Fozzy

Fornah Embleton Hourihane 

NML TJJ Waghorn

What about exactly that selection but 3-4-3 with Smith pushed forward to the right side of the 4 man midfield? Waghorn will be central and I think he will stick with Washington to start

57 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith 

Smith Nelson Cashin Fozzy

Fornah Embleton Hourihane 

NML TJJ Waghorn

Wouldn’t be unhappy with this team. 

Think he’ll stick to Washington’s running around rather than TJJ and his fancy tricks though.

Plus Wash puts all the cones out…