Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Not this one again! Sibley's problem is that he simply isn't being given a fair crack of the whip. Ever since Rooney arrived, all he has had is being left on the bench, remember this is in a succession of teams that found it difficult to get the ball forwards, to break into the area, or actually find the net - all things which Sibley can do. When he gets onto the pitch it is often for just a few minutes, and over time it is often when the game has already been lost. Add in that when he gets on the pitch, it is also nearly always out of position. Yes his best run was at left back, out of necessity. Even when we were crying out for someone to play the Number 10 role, which his best position, it would go to someone else. And often when he has made an impact and really affected the game, he has ended up back o the bench next match, or even not in the squad!

Think back to the number of matches Tom Lawrence just drifted around achieving nothing, except picking up useless cards, but kept getting picked match after match. Hourihane went through a spell just like that. Why has Sibley never been given that luxury?

I actually expect him to pack his bags and move on, because we have signed two player who will almost certainly get picked ahead of him. Hopefully he will move to a club who will choose to use his talents, instead of squandering them.

Yes I would give him the chance to do that and I think he can pull it off

Going to be such a big game. If we get a result, many people will feel our season is starting to get on track. If we lose, the knives will be out once again. Portsmouth will be a tough nut to crack but then again last season at home we absolutely battered them and were very unlucky not to come away with a win. I also feel the club have missed a trick with this. The price point for the game is extremely high for 3rd division football. It would have been a good chance to fill the stadium if they'd set a reasonable price after our faltering start to the campaign. 

On 08/09/2023 at 20:55, DavesaRam said:

Not this one again! Sibley's problem is that he simply isn't being given a fair crack of the whip. Ever since Rooney arrived, all he has had is being left on the bench, remember this is in a succession of teams that found it difficult to get the ball forwards, to break into the area, or actually find the net - all things which Sibley can do. When he gets onto the pitch it is often for just a few minutes, and over time it is often when the game has already been lost. Add in that when he gets on the pitch, it is also nearly always out of position. Yes his best run was at left back, out of necessity. Even when we were crying out for someone to play the Number 10 role, which his best position, it would go to someone else. And often when he has made an impact and really affected the game, he has ended up back o the bench next match, or even not in the squad!

Think back to the number of matches Tom Lawrence just drifted around achieving nothing, except picking up useless cards, but kept getting picked match after match. Hourihane went through a spell just like that. Why has Sibley never been given that luxury?

I actually expect him to pack his bags and move on, because we have signed two player who will almost certainly get picked ahead of him. Hopefully he will move to a club who will choose to use his talents, instead of squandering them.

U need to ask yourself why he hasnt been given a percieved fair crack of the whip… how many managers is it now that Haven’t given him a fair crack ?

these managers see him every single day in training … they know every detail about him and they only trust him for fleeting stints.

when they have started him 9/10 he flatters to decieve.

very fair point about getting the ball forward quicker and maybe suiting him more 🤞

hes a good young player , but he doesnt have a single stand out attribute that makes him an essential “he must play” option

Lawrence always carries a threat, he was one of the most frustrating players iv seen at derby but he was quick and would always try to make something happen. He was diiked more than sibley cos of his price tag and came over as a bit of a c*** at times. 

not writing sibley or his career off but i just dont see how so many think he warrants a starting birth thats all 

only my opinion

love the the lad to be star for us, and who knows hopefully he will be 

Edited by NottsRam77

21 hours ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Their defence is tighter than a gnats chuff, cant see us scoring unless something special from Waggy.

Yes, but they’re used to defending against top strikers. Our guys don’t know what they are doing which makes them unpredictable and difficult to counter 😊

I reckon we’ll see a bounce back and some goals.

Hopefully one or two back from injury.

9 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

U need to ask yourself why he hasnt been given a percieved fair crack of the whip… how many managers is it now that Haven’t given him a fair crack ?

these managers see him every single day in training … they know every detail about him and they only trust him for fleeting stints.

when they have started him 9/10 he flatters to decieve.

very fair point about getting the ball forward quicker and maybe suiting him more 🤞

hes a good young player , but he doesnt have a single stand out attribute that makes him an essential “he must play” option

Lawrence always carries a threat, he was one of the most frustrating players iv seen at derby but he was quick and would always try to make something happen. He was diiked more than sibley cos of his price tag and came over as a bit of a c*** at times. 

not writing sibley or his career off but i just dont see how so many think he warrants a starting birth thats all 

only my opinion

love the the lad to be star for us, and who knows hopefully he will be 

However Tom Lawrence was played in his best position, Sibley has hardly ever been played where he is at his best, which is why he often hasn't produced his best. In addition, the majority of players need a few matches to get up to speed, but all Sibley has had is 10 or 20 minutes here or there for the majority of his matches. His stand out features are the ability to run with the ball at defenders and the ability to pull a shot out of nowhere. Remember for the latter strength, for much of his career at Derby the team has been sadly lacking in players who can actually get a shot on target, let alone find the net. You suggest that he is not pulling up tree stumps in training, so maybe Tom Lawrence or Connor Hourihane are outstanding in training, but they are not employed to be outstanding in training, they are employed to produce the goods during the match. And whereas Tom and Connor keep on going missing, they still get long runs in their best position. I have often stated that once Sibbers gets a good run at Number 10, if he hasn't come up with the goods consistently, then treat him accordingly by chucking him back on the bench. But give the lad a fair chance.

Edited by DavesaRam

5 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

However Tom Lawrence was played in his best position, Sibley has hardly ever been played where he is at his best, which is why he often hasn't produced his best. In addition, the majority of players need a few matches to get up to speed, but all Sibley has had is 10 or 20 minutes here or there for the majority of his matches. His stand out features are the ability to run with the ball at defenders and the ability to pull a shot out of nowhere. Remember for the latter strength, for much of his career at Derby the team has been sadly lacking in players who can actually get a shot on target, let alone find the net. You suggest that he is not pulling up tree stumps in training, so maybe Tom Lawrence or Connor Hourihane are outstanding in training, but they are not employed to be outstanding in training, they are employed to produce the goods during the match. And whereas Tom and Connor keep on going missing, they still get long runs in their best position. I have often stated that once Sibbers gets a good run at Number 10, if he hasn't come up with the goods consistently, then treat him accordingly by chucking him back on the bench. But give the lad a fair chance.

Needs the sort of belief and game time that Dobbin was given?

26 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

For the record i was never a tom lawrence fan… premiership quality , league 2 brain and decision making. 

I agree with what he brings to the table, ability to get a shot off

I just question why so many have passed him up starting

Hes not fast, hes not strong on the ball, hes physcially lacking … so athletically he offers us little

His touch is good sometimes and poor on others… ditto his passing.

he doesnt possess the technical grace of a ronnie willems, hes direct , eager and as u say will try and get a shot off

i dont think thats enough personally… which kinda goes along with previous managers opinions too

i just dont see it, but hey its only my opinion, iv been wrong 1000 times

9 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

U managed to pick one game lol

think that proves my point lol 😉 

You said you couldn't think of a time he had any impact so I gave you one.  You didn't ask for multiple examples.  

The whole team was struggling in his last 10 or 12 games and he had barely more than cameo appearances in most of them so hardly surprising he didn't have a major impact.   Aside from Didzy who did?   Certainly not Bird or Knight who were starters whenever fit.  Until Sibley is given a major chance how can he be judged fairly.  He certainly makes a decent impact considering the limit time he has on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

You said you couldn't think of a time he had any impact so I gave you one.  You didn't ask for multiple examples.  

The whole team was struggling in his last 10 or 12 games and he had barely more than cameo appearances in most of them so hardly surprising he didn't have a major impact.   Aside from Didzy who did?   Certainly not Bird or Knight who were starters whenever fit.  Until Sibley is given a major chance how can he be judged fairly.  He certainly makes a decent impact considering the limit time he has on the pitch.

Fair play … u did lol 

Impact .. totally on board with that at this stage of his career.. i just dont see why theres a clamour for him to start 

thats all, like i said just my opinion

I've been a fan of his from his U18 days. He's a #10. He has rarely played that role in the first team. He has played Left back, left wing, right wing and DM though. I'd agree all day long with anyone saying he has yet to fulfil his potential. That's spot on. However, I would then point out that he's hardly ever played in "his" position. Would Zak have been any good as a Centre Half? Colin Boulton on the right wing? Wee Archie in goal? Of course they wouldn't. My fear for the lad is that we throw him out with the bath water next summer because he didn't develop into the player everybody at the club thought he would become. He then goes elsewhere, gets played as a #10 and is a success...

We have a record of buying strikers (Weimann and Blackman etc) and playing them as wingers. Round pegs for round holes, please.

On 08/09/2023 at 17:26, NottsRam77 said:

Im sure its just me but i really struggle to see peoples obsession with sibley 

of his last 10/12 starts im trying to think of a time he was anything more than meh 

still think his most productive role CURRENTLY at the club is impact sub. 

thats not being detrimental to him, just where i see him atm. Theres others that give more from the off imo 

I actually think that sibs could again become useful if linking up with Waggers....he has his most productive time at derby when playing off a striker like Waggers and the one who can't be mentioned.

3 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

There will be an opportunity for Sibley at left wing back. That’s where he will play if at at all. I just can’t see him starting in midfield or at number 10

Welcome to the banquet, Sibbers. We’ve  got a fantastic feast lined up, and there’s an opportunity for you to eat under the table. Here’s a dustpan and brush to make it easier to pick the crumbs up. Actually - bring your own dustpan and brush.

On 08/09/2023 at 20:55, DavesaRam said:

Not this one again! Sibley's problem is that he simply isn't being given a fair crack of the whip

His last crack of the whip was end of last season where Warne persevered with him despite disappointing performances and he failed to deliver. I was at the time advocating that Sibley should continue to start. In retrospect it would have been better if he hadn’t 

13 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

His last crack of the whip was end of last season where Warne persevered with him despite disappointing performances and he failed to deliver. I was at the time advocating that Sibley should continue to start. In retrospect it would have been better if he hadn’t 

Depends what you call a (fair) crack and and how you define persevered, I guess.

persevered.JPG.96c33675bcd37941d000281cee127a21.JPG

Edited by Kokosnuss