Corey Blackett-Taylor - Signed on Loan/Permanent in Summer

Stuniverse

10 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I don’t understand where this idea of overpaying is coming from

You make some good points, he ticks a lot of boxes for the kind of player we should be signing. I guess there is concern about getting involved in a bidding war and making him a top earner. He will have resale value but that really depends on a Championship club wanting to pay for him, L1 clubs don't pay transfer fees these days.

CBT looks good though, and I assume signing him would mean Barkhuizen leaving and cutting his wage. I like Barks, and he's done a job, but he's inconsistent, over 30, and most of the time looks like he's just woken up in the back of his own car.

On 09/01/2024 at 10:38, therealhantsram said:

Sorry to say, I don't see a great deal here to excite me. He certainly run at pace with the ball at his feet, but beyond that, not much.

Reminded me of Abdoul Camara's highlights reel.

Some of his control/touches on his goals - particularly the first three - are poor. He appears to have a good physique but he might frustrate as much as he excites.

40 minutes ago, 1884NSR said:

Sure I saw somewhere BT said he had been shown round the training ground?

He's under contract at Charlton. There is not a chance he's been shown round Moor Farm on Monday. Unless he's signed. Which if he had been shown round Monday he would have been announced by now.

I'm sure he'll be in Charlton's line up on Saturday which will subsequently pour cold water that he was at Moor Farm.

39 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

He's under contract at Charlton. There is not a chance he's been shown round Moor Farm on Monday. Unless he's signed. Which if he had been shown round Monday he would have been announced by now.

I'm sure he'll be in Charlton's line up on Saturday which will subsequently pour cold water that he was at Moor Farm.

Happens all the time nowadays. No such thing as tapping up these days. 

43 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Joy sponge you !!

2 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Happens all the time nowadays. No such thing as tapping up these days. 

Tapping up is contacting them before you speak to the club to see if they'd be open to a move.

Not a chance is he going to drive from London to Derby to have a look round a training ground at a club who hasn't even agreed anything with his current club yet.

54 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Strange to show him around the place if we haven’t got the cash to pay for him 

I'd assume he'd be free to come and look if the clubs have agreed a fee.  If not, then no.  We have a fair few players who may not fit here but could fit in there who have 6 months on contracts.  A player swop wouldn't be unheard of I suppose.

16 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Tapping up is contacting them before you speak to the club to see if they'd be open to a move.

Not a chance is he going to drive from London to Derby to have a look round a training ground at a club who hasn't even agreed anything with his current club yet.

What are you implying Mac 🫢😳😮

Would he improve our starting 11? I think given the fact that we currently have no naturally wide left player, then that's surely a yes. Provided any fee and his wages are reasonable then I think he's exactly the sort of player we need right now.

If we get CBT then I’d be happy with that. Yes, as some have pointed out, he does look like he will have heavy touches and perhaps he is inconsistent with his form, but we are in League One with a modest budget and he has attributes that will help us and if he does gel with the team and continue his goal scoring this season then he would also be a decent option if we’re back in Champ next season.

8 hours ago, caymanram said:

Link maybe ?

I went looking for it myself as the OP seemed to just be sharing what they’d read on Twitter/X;

It was a live fan forum thing, around 1 hour 20 mins in they take a question on the contracts of Blackett-Taylor and Dobson with both due to expire in the summer. The guy who answers (chairman maybe?) says they’ve put a competitive contract offer to both of them now it’s up to the players to decide if they want to sign them or not, he also said at another fan forum when they asked the room most people said if players won’t sign the contract cash in and move on. So nothing categoric, just fans taking what he’s said and leaning towards the likely outcome that they’ll be sold on in Jan if they choose not to extend their contracts.

9 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Charlton fans reckon Blackett Taylor is gone after their chairman did an interview today which can be watched on YouTube. IMG_3331.thumb.png.a07400f9aebfed644f9d6204cb28617c.png

This came from the club's live Youtube Fan Forum. He was talking about making sensible business decision to cut losses and sell players at the right time (ie. not letting players leave for free at the end of contracts). Also referred to a discussion they had with supporters - if players don't want to sign new deals the will sell them which confirms both of those players will be sold - I would sign them both if they are affordable.

Other than a lot of waffle and hiring consultants for every department of the club, the key takeaways from that stream...

• Charlton have lost £45m over their 6 years in L1 (£7.5m per season). Their board believe they have a top 3 wage bill (confirms my thoughts). They aim to cut losses down to £1.5m a season
  • Identified a regular change in playing style as a cause of underperformance
  • Plan for squad building is 8 top end L1 players capable of stepping up, 8 'consistent' L1 players, 8 academy graduates
  • Concern over number of injuries. Their recruitment didn't consider historic availability when signing players (sounds familiar?)
  • On the academy, they're ramping up the number of academy coaches and employing a coach to aid the transition between the academy and the first team (similar to the role Justin Walker originally had under Cocu?). Also linking up with a Jamaican academy.

That was a boring listen. It makes me appreciate the Fan Forums we have with @Owen87ITK, Warne and Pearce a lot more!