Corey Blackett-Taylor - Signed on Loan/Permanent in Summer

Stuniverse

2 hours ago, jono said:

I think the 12k is an exception - an enticement in difficult times to get an aging player of his pedigree when there was little else available . The market has changed. I’d bet our regulars are probably earning 4-6 K with the older “stars” on shorter contracts at 6-8 K. There might be room for a 1 off 10k player but you can bet your life there will be terms and conditions. 

I read somewhere that the average (for the top 100 players ) is just over 7k .. remember that average is for the top 100 not all league 1 players. 

Difficult to say until we get the accounts back, but seems low to me - I’d be surprised if our wage bill is less than £10m for this season. I’d say it’s likely to be well in excess of that.

1 hour ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Interesting thanks. I've not read that so my assumption was based on Hourihane and the perhaps naive expectation/hope that the financial aperture between the prem and L1 wasn't as big as I thought. I'd be interested to know the wages of top earners in the champ. I'd expect that to have increased this season with Leicester holding on to a fair few of their PL players

Jamie Vardy is on a reported £140,000 per week.

Several Leicester players reportedly on £75,000 per week.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Difficult to say until we get the accounts back, but seems low to me - I’d be surprised if our wage bill is less than £10m for this season. I’d say it’s likely to be well in excess of that.

I would put it closer to £12m than £10m. Our playing staff wages will be one of the highest in the division, but I reckon our non-playing staff wages are THE highest. Charlton, Portsmouth and Bolton in the same wage bracket, Oxford just behind.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I would put it closer to £12m than £10m. Our playing staff wages will be one of the highest in the division, but I reckon our non-playing staff wages are THE highest. Charlton, Portsmouth and Bolton in the same wage bracket, Oxford just behind.

Is this because of CAT1 Academy? (More coaches etc?). 

5 hours ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Interesting thanks. I've not read that so my assumption was based on Hourihane and the perhaps naive expectation/hope that the financial aperture between the prem and L1 wasn't as big as I thought. I'd be interested to know the wages of top earners in the champ. I'd expect that to have increased this season with Leicester holding on to a fair few of their PL players

There will always be a distortion when clubs like Leicester and Fulham drop. My gut feeling (with zero empirical evidence 🤪) is that wages in L1 and L2  for a mid ranked player in a mid ranked team have stagnated. The money just isn’t there. Oh yes, for a one off at a big team - there will always be a rate buster, but the every day reality is a different matter.

On 13/01/2024 at 21:23, Jourdan said:

I don’t think alarm bells should be ringing if we are willing to spend £250-500k. Let’s face it, this will be in exceptional circumstances, not the norm.

CBT’s career is trending upwards and he has shown himself to be one of the most productive attacking players in the league over the last 18 months.

Another five months of good form and being available on a free could put him out of reach.

We can’t afford to spend millions on the likes of Mason-Clark, Poku or Collins, so taking advantage of CBT’s contract situation makes a lot of sense. Strike while we can.

Hes not worth 500k would you pay 500k for something you could get for zilch in a few months ?

hes not a bad player but hes also not as good as you’re making out and 500k is way too much if we could get him for half that or maybe 300k then fair enough …he can be quite frustrating type of player and i think NML is better than him but he has pace and that will scare teams but i wouldn’t pay 500k for him 

Edited by S8TY

12 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Hes not worth 500k would you pay 500k for something you could get for zilch in a few months ?

hes not a bad player but hes also not as good as you’re making out and 500k is way too much if we could get him for half that or maybe 300k then fair enough …he can be quite frustrating type of player and i think NML is better than him but he has pace and that will scare teams but i wouldn’t pay 500k for him 

Im not advocating one way or another but zilch in a few months just isn’t true. Agents fees go up, signing on fees definitely go up, and that’s before you get into the increased competition for his signature, which could lead to higher wage demands by the end. Hypothetically, it could be £500k now but total £300k anyway in the summer. 

18 minutes ago, S8TY said:

1) If he gets you promoted then yes, absolutely. Championship income is circa 8 to 10 million more than L1 income.

2) If it guarantees that he joins us rather than risking him to someone else then yes.

3) I suspect his wages will be slightly less than if he signed on a free transfer. Say its 2-3k a week less, then that's 100 to 150k a year less, which over a three year contract is his transferr fee.

This really is a no brainer for me.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

1) If he gets you promoted then yes, absolutely. Championship income is circa 8 to 10 million more than L1 income.

2) If it guarantees that he joins us rather than risking him to someone else then yes.

3) I suspect his wages will be slightly less than if he signed on a free transfer. Say its 2-3k a week less, then that's 100 to 150k a year less, which over a three year contract is his transferr fee.

This really is a no brainer for me.

Don't know about no brainer but get your points , my point is as long as he contributes to us becoming a better side and for 500k thats not guaranteed , because fans really want to see us sign him it is slightly detracting from the fact of ...is he any good ?

From what I've seen there will be plenty moaning about him as he tends to drag a lot of shots/chances wide when should do better  

But i'd like us to sign him purely for the pace threat he carries and with NML on the other side will make us quite feared when attacking but I don't think 300k is a bad fee for a player out of contract in a few months thats all I think 500k is too much and we need more than 1 player

Pace is great if there’s an end result. If he races down the wing then messes up his crosses then we have those already.
I think we have to be careful about spending what for us is a lot of money if CBT is just another sprinter.

Proven goalscorers have gone for less than £500k in this division.

We would all like a new hero. He will be under pressure to perform in front of a big crowd. If we sign him, it has to be because he’s the difference between going up and not going up.

I get the feeling that the club will not overpay for any player, and by that I mean they will have a maximum price they will pay and if a deal can’t be done then they walk away.

The correct approach I would say, but that may mean we sign no one this window - or we’re back shopping in the Tony Springett aisle. 

18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Pace is great if there’s an end result. If he races down the wing then messes up his crosses then we have those already.
I think we have to be careful about spending what for us is a lot of money if CBT is just another sprinter.

Proven goalscorers have gone for less than £500k in this division.

We would all like a new hero. He will be under pressure to perform in front of a big crowd. If we sign him, it has to be because he’s the difference between going up and not going up.

We have them already? Another sprinter? Where?? If Mendez-Laing doesn’t play we are stuck in neutral. 

I know you can’t judge it on stats alone, but looking to inform an opinion on him I had a look and last season he had 8 goals and 3 assists in 29 league appearances, so far this season it’s 8 goals and 7 assists in 25 league appearances.
So in theory he’d bring additional goals and assists to our forward line, is allegedly pretty quick and I think we’d all agree more pace is something the side could do with, and is a good age at 26. If we can add him to the squad without paying above the odds (£400-500k doesn’t seem mental IF that fits our budget) I’m all for it.
At various times this season people have commented how over reliant we are on Mendez-Laing, Blackett-Taylor would add another threat for defences to consider, those two speed merchants either side of the industrious goal machine that is James Collins would do for me 😁 

Just now, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Looks like from videos he scores with Left foot mostly. Could add useful balance to the forward line where, bar Sibley I think our players are mainly right footed?

Bird also left footed.