Elliot Embleton - signed on a season-long-loan - cancelled

Barney1991

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Thought it would have been made official the loan has been mutually cancelled by now?

Maybe end of Jan? But perhaps they don’t want to alert agents they now  have wages spare?

13 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Thought it would have been made official the loan has been mutually cancelled by now?

When they found out he's injured, Warne stated something along the lines of he's gone back to treatment, but he hopes their paths cross again in the future. That suggests to me he won't be coming back, but we may be stuck with paying his wages for the season unless theres a clause for us to end the loan or Sunderland do us a favour and recall him

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When they found out he's injured, Warne stated something along the lines of he's gone back to treatment, but he hopes their paths cross again in the future. That suggests to me he won't be coming back, but we may be stuck with paying his wages for the season unless theres a clause for us to end the loan or Sunderland do us a favour and recall him

Im sure it was stated at the time there was a clause in Jan for him to potentially go back. Dont know who is able to exercise that clause though

This just makes a mockery of the whole loan system.

Parent clubs (usually a bigger / more successful clubs) hoover up more talent than they are ever going to need / use.

They then loan out players for fees on watertight contracts meaning they don't pay for those loaned out players during their development, or when they are injured.

Some of them will then  be sold on based on how they perform during a loan spell, some will be simply discarded, and the lucky few will be given an opportunity at their patent club.

The whole thing stinks.

What makes it even worse is clubs are encouraged to sell players they have brought through their academies because it is good for their FFP.

Perhaps there should be some kind of cap on the number of players any club can have in their academies, or are able to loan out.

It's only going to get worse unless the powers that be change the rules. But why would they?

3 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

This just makes a mockery of the whole loan system.

Parent clubs (usually a bigger / more successful clubs) hoover up more talent than they are ever going to need / use.

They then loan out players for fees on watertight contracts meaning they don't pay for those loaned out players during their development, or when they are injured.

Some of them will then  be sold on based on how they perform during a loan spell, some will be simply discarded, and the lucky few will be given an opportunity at their patent club.

The whole thing stinks.

What makes it even worse is clubs are encouraged to sell players they have brought through their academies because it is good for their FFP.

Perhaps there should be some kind of cap on the number of players any club can have in their academies, or are able to loan out.

It's only going to get worse unless the powers that be change the rules. But why would they?

I get your general point, but Embleton has been at Sunderland since he was 7. Them loaning him out is no different to us loaning a youngster out to develop them.

16 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I get your general point, but Embleton has been at Sunderland since he was 7. Them loaning him out is no different to us loaning a youngster out to develop them.

That’s fine - however, it would be much more suitable that if we own a player’s contract, we should continue to pay their wages whilst they are receiving their development during their secondment to their temporary club.  One could even argue that the parent club should pay a training fee for their employees development.

You could argue they pay £x per match they play based on the level of opponent (e.g, if they play a side in Div 2, they pay a greater development fee than for a Div 4 side). That would help sustain the smaller clubs and potentially make teams consider whether to just hoover up all the talent.

I remember the video of him joining the club and he looked miserable as anything, he got a fair amount of stick for it. I felt really bad for him. He spent 8-9 months getting back fit for Sunderland, he was one of their best players when they got promoted in League One. He was probably expecting to go straight back into their first team squad. Instead their manager at the last minute tells him sorry, Derby want you on loan and you won't play, pack your bags and off you go. It seemed very rushed. Believe he got told in the morning then drove down the same day to sign on deadline day. 

Very unfortunate that he got an injury again so soon after joining us. Good luck.

On 10/01/2024 at 14:29, SSD said:

I remember the video of him joining the club and he looked miserable as anything, he got a fair amount of stick for it. I felt really bad for him. He spent 8-9 months getting back fit for Sunderland, he was one of their best players when they got promoted in League One. He was probably expecting to go straight back into their first team squad. Instead their manager at the last minute tells him sorry, Derby want you on loan and you won't play, pack your bags and off you go. It seemed very rushed. Believe he got told in the morning then drove down the same day to sign on deadline day. 

Very unfortunate that he got an injury again so soon after joining us. Good luck.

Didn't we get told by a Sunderland fan "he's just like that in every bit of club media" in his demeanor.

Either way, it was unlucky for him and as it never had a chance to become anything there's nothing to much to say except I hope he gets fit and makes a career for himself.