Eiran Cashin

Heisenberg

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

I agree 100% with the bits in bold. I don't agree with any of the rest though. What I saw was two very tired defenders going for the same ball in the 90th minute. They had both played every single minute of the four games in 11 days.

I haven't seen any actual stats, but hopefully someone can confirm that he loses far fewer defensive aerial battles than he wins. Lack of height is not a problem because of the leap that he has got. As for pace, I've not seen anyone leave him in their wake. He's been likened many times, but he really does remind of Colin Todd.

I do respect everyone's right to an opinion but I do feel that comparison is a tad OTT! If I was picking my all time Derby side ,having followed them since 1964, then my three central defenders would be Todd,Stimac and McFarland.I like Cashin's determination but Todd was light years ahead of him.However,each to their own.

7 hours ago, nogbad van 50 said:

I do respect everyone's right to an opinion but I do feel that comparison is a tad OTT! If I was picking my all time Derby side ,having followed them since 1964, then my three central defenders would be Todd,Stimac and McFarland.I like Cashin's determination but Todd was light years ahead of him.However,each to their own.

Way to go encouraging the lad! 😂

8 hours ago, nogbad van 50 said:

I didn't say that I thought that he was as good as Todd, or even that he ever will be, only that his style reminds me so much of Colin Todd. Todd wasn't very tall either but still won more than his fair share of headers. Todd was faster than Cashin that's for sure, and also read the game faster than most mortals. There are many central defenders that would be in my all time Derby team ahead of Cashin having started watching them in the mid to late sixties, but that doesn't mean I can't compare two player's styles . You only picked me up on the Todd reference. Do you agree with the rest of my post?

Edited by richinspain
Added word

34 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I didn't say that I thought that he was as good as Todd, or even that he ever will be, only that his style reminds me so much of Colin Todd. Todd wasn't very tall either but still won more than his fair share of headers. Todd was faster than Cashin that's for sure, and also read the game faster than most mortals. There are many central defenders that would be in my all time Derby team ahead of Cashin having started watching them in the mid to late sixties, but that doesn't mean I can't compare two player's styles . You only picked me up on the Todd reference. Do you agree with the rest of my post?

Yes ,I do and you're one of the posters I usually agree with most ! Totally agree with your comment re the tiredness of the central defenders after the recent punishing schedule.Looking forward to the rest of this season and trying to temper my enthusiasm as you know what it's like being a Derby fan.As someone once said,"it's the hope that kills you!"

1 hour ago, BobdeBilder said:

Cashin seems to be more Dave Mackay light than Todd.

He has that no nonsense air about him and I think Cash would like that comparison, assuming he knows who Dave Mackay is. Mackay was quite fearsome, but also a really talented footballer, so I can definitely see similarities. I could certainly see Eiran aspiring to be that sort of player. 

As it is, we don't really know Cash's ceiling yet, though some on here use his alleged lack of pace as proof that he'll not be top table. I understand the thinking, but I don't subscribe to the absolute need for express pace (think Fikayo Tomori) at CB if you've a yard or two in your head and an ingrained desire to fight for everything. Nice to have for sure, but not mandatory, as there have been lots of top CBs who weren't any quicker than Eiran and quite a few a lot slower. Let's not forget too that despite 100 games played, he remains a young lad mastering a position in which even the top exponents do not peak until quite late in their playing cycles. 

Honestly, I've no idea what the future holds for Eiran, but I'd wager fair sums that he'll has a very good career ahead of him and that he will likely prove himself to be comfortably of Premier League quality. I just pray that when that times comes, it's as Derby skipper, having helped the Mighty Rams secure two promotions and not with some other outfit who just happened to have a few quid while we were still on our uppers. 

12 hours ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Todd, Roy Mac and Mark Wright for me…

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Todd, Roy Mac and Mark Wright for me…

I saw Todd and McFarland play in the Championship winning era, but I was under 10 so I don't think my opinion was the soundest!

Over the last 40 or so years, I'd say: Wright; Stimac; McGrath

Edited by StarterForTen
Pedantry!

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

As it is, we don't really know Cash's ceiling yet, though some on here use his alleged lack of pace as proof that he'll not be top table. I understand the thinking, but I don't subscribe to the absolute need for express pace (think Fikayo Tomori) at CB if you've a yard or two in your head and an ingrained desire to fight for everything. Nice to have for sure, but not mandatory, as there have been lots of top CBs who weren't any quicker than Eiran and quite a few a lot slower. 

I've done a complete 180 on Cash's pace (or lack of) this season. He's won so many recovery footraces, and made saving tackles, that I think it's unfair to say he's a bit lacking in speed, which I definitely used to spout. He's got a bit of that old school, do-or-die defender about him and at times he reminds me a bit of Paul McGrath (if he ends up half as good as McG then he'll be a superstar).

I feel like we'll sell him, but I really hope we don't. We're not blowing teams away with 4 or 5 goals, we're grinding them slowly into submission with a brick wall backline and to sell the keystone doesn't get you promoted.

Cashin is also like Ross MacLaren. Thats where we are at the moment, Cashin is a third division player. However he does play like Todd and might one day get close to him. Toddy was much, much quicker though and used his pace. I read a book by Kevin Keegan who says 'Toddy was a 90 minute nightmare. He could out run you, out jump you and when he had got you thoroughly demoralised he would come at you with the ball' I don't think Keegan would have struggled with Cashin quite so much but he's getting there and its great to see. Great that we might not be selling him after all as well     

It always surprises me that Stimac has this cult status at Derby. Granted he was a good player, but he wasn't even particularly a regular.

1995/96. 27 league appearances. 

1996/97. 21 league appearances. McGrath, Laursen and Dailly all played more, although the latter may have made some in midfield.

1997/98. 24 league appearances. Laursen and Dailly both played more.

1998/99. 14 league appearances and then he was gone.

1 hour ago, admira said:

It always surprises me that Stimac has this cult status at Derby. Granted he was a good player, but he wasn't even particularly a regular.

1996/97. 21 league appearances. McGrath, Laursen and Dailly all played more, although the latter may have made some in midfield.

He was also, allegedly, quite a controversial character too.

I bloody loved him though.

2 hours ago, admira said:

I'll take quality over quantity any time!

13 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I'll take quality over quantity any time!

First time I watched him live also happened to be my second ever game watching Derby. In the middle of the game against Blackburn at Pride Park, Attackers bearing down on him, he took an aerial ball down on his chest, did three kick ups with it and pinged a pass so perfect it could have landed on a penny. He was a rolls Royce of a player 

5 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

I saw Todd and McFarland play in the Championship winning era, but I was under 10 so I don't think my opinion was the soundest!

Over the last 40 or so years, I'd say: Wright; Stimac; McGrath

I think your 10 year old opinion is soundest

26 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

You don’t need pace as a defender if you can read the game….Mackay. McFarland, Stimac, Wright,  none of these had pace but played at the highest level 

McGrath was like a tortoise on Valium when he played for us. He was still the best player on the pitch most weeks.

35 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

You don’t need pace as a defender if you can read the game….Mackay. McFarland, Stimac, Wright,  none of these had pace but played at the highest level 

True, Tony Adam’s did ok