Eiran Cashin

Heisenberg

10 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

He's got a bit of that old school, do-or-die defender about him and at times he reminds me a bit of Paul McGrath (if he ends up half as good as McG then he'll be a superstar).

Ah, that's who I was thinking of but couldn't wrestle the name from memory. Paul McGrath. Nailed it Norwich, that's him all over. He'd be chuffed with that I reckon. 

21 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Todd, Roy Mac and Mark Wright for me…

In my era, it would be McG, Stimac and I'm struggling for a stand-out beyond those. Plenty of decent players but those two stand out as class for me. Perhaps Larsen or Craig Short. Yates was good albeit injury did for him. I feel like I'm forgetting someone... 

Cashin - I really rate him. It's not often that CB's are this good, this young. He's a very good all rounder too - can pass, head, good timing, etc.

How do we think Cash compares with Chris Riggott? Tempting to think Cash is better because he's here now but Riggott became an established Premier League player whereas Cashin is in League One at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

How do we think Cash compares with Chris Riggott? Tempting to think Cash is better because he's here now but Riggott became an established Premier League player whereas Cashin is in League One at the moment.

Best ability is availability. Riggott was always injured. 

16 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

I was thinking that as I typed but I feel Cashin is better all round and as Srg says, Riggs was injured a lot. Although it's true that obviously they played at very different levels so guess the jury is still out until Cash plays at a higher level.

I don't get all this chat about Cashin's pace. He does okay over short distances - which is where it counts - but his positioning, anticipation, and tackling ability are what make him a good defender. Some of the best CBs - Maldini, Vidic, Terry - weren't especially quick. On a slight tangent, when the likes of Harry Maguire get criticised for being slow, it's more that he often doesn't anticipate where the ball will be, is facing the wrong way, and gets dragged into poor positions. Cashin doesn't do that.

I'd love him to stay but totally understand if he left. He has the potential to be a PL player and that's unlikely to happen at Derby...

47 minutes ago, Srg said:

Best ability is availability. Riggott was always injured. 

Riggott wasn’t always injured in his first spell at Derby which was played mainly in the premier league. It’s hard to compare players when they’ve played in different divisions, Phil Gee looked a world beater in level 2 of English football but struggled in the top tier, until Cash as played in the top flight it will be hard to compare 

13 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I don't get all this chat about Cashin's pace. He does okay over short distances - which is where it counts - but his positioning, anticipation, and tackling ability are what make him a good defender. Some of the best CBs - Maldini, Vidic, Terry - weren't especially quick. On a slight tangent, when the likes of Harry Maguire get criticised for being slow, it's more that he often doesn't anticipate where the ball will be, is facing the wrong way, and gets dragged into poor positions. Cashin doesn't do that.

I'd love him to stay but totally understand if he left. He has the potential to be a PL player and that's unlikely to happen at Derby...

Wash your mouth out!!😅Maldini is arguably one of the best defenders in the game's history  and,one of the quickest.

" Paolo Maldini, the legendary Italian footballer who spent the majority of his career with AC Milan, is widely regarded as one of the greatest defenders in the history of the sport. His versatility allowed him to excel in both the left-back and center-back positions over the course of his long and illustrious career.

Left Back (Earlier Career): In the early stages of his career, Maldini primarily played as a left-back. He was known for his exceptional speed, agility, and ability to contribute to both defense and attack from the left flank. Maldini's technical skills and defensive prowess made him one of the best left-backs in the world during this period.

Center Back (Later Career): As he aged, Maldini transitioned to playing as a center-back. Despite the change in position, he continued to excel. His experience, football intelligence, and reading of the game allowed him to adapt seamlessly to the demands of central defense. Maldini's leadership and composure at the back were instrumental in Milan's successes during this period.

17 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

You don’t need pace as a defender if you can read the game….Mackay. McFarland, Stimac, Wright,  none of these had pace but played at the highest level 

Wright had pace. Stimac was mobile. 

The game has moved on though and pace is increasingly important. 

28 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

It’s a strange one regards cashin and pace , you so often see pace measured over the first few yards where as when I watch cash he looks like his pace is in the last couple of yards aided by his technique to make that last little gap up with a great surge and timed tackle ,

easy to mistake it for last ditch desperation lunge but he is so good at it consistently that it’s much more than that

Edited by Archied

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

It’s a strange one regards cashin and pace , you so often see pace measured over the first few yards where as when I watch cash he looks like his pace is in the last couple of yards aided by his technique to make that last little gap up with a great surge and timed tackle 

He’s quite quick over a few yards to block shots which Nelson and Bradley aren’t.

That’s one of the reasons we would miss him if he left.

1 hour ago, Raich Carter said:

I was thinking that as I typed but I feel Cashin is better all round and as Srg says, Riggs was injured a lot. Although it's true that obviously they played at very different levels so guess the jury is still out until Cash plays at a higher level.

Riggott played over 200 premier league games and in a UEFA cup final. Not sure Cashin is better all round either. 

Might be a learning thing but I've noticed with Cashin that forwards are dragging him into wide positions then when he tries to get tight to them, they roll him. Cost us a goal at Plymouth last season and did it twice against Peterborough. Quite a few reasons why he won't be a premier league defender for me, as good as he is at this level 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

It’s a strange one regards cashin and pace , you so often see pace measured over the first few yards where as when I watch cash he looks like his pace is in the last couple of yards aided by his technique to make that last little gap up with a great surge and timed tackle ,

easy to mistake it for last ditch desperation lunge but he is so good at it consistently that it’s much more than that

I always thought I was slow but it all came down to acceleration, we did tests and I was third for top speed at the club and third last for acceleration lol,  although top speed is pretty useless compared to that first five yards, as far as I remember most strikers were gone before I got going.

5 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

So this thread is now dedicated to Cashin’s foot speed ? 

It is, but he’s signed a new boot deal to help with that, compliment his old school style, and further prove his growing legacy. He’s going to wear the same boots as the legendary Italian defender Franco Baresi;

the marketing campaign is being drawn up now…. “Cash in the asics”….

IMG_1430.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Might be a learning thing but I've noticed with Cashin that forwards are dragging him into wide positions then when he tries to get tight to them, they roll him. Cost us a goal at Plymouth last season and did it twice against Peterborough. Quite a few reasons why he won't be a premier league defender for me, as good as he is at this level 

He gets rolled when he is forced wider in the three centre back role where he looks very clumsy - for me he is a two centre back man with a real left back near him