Ocean Temperature (strictly apolitical)

MaltRam

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

Is it worth it ? It’s clear that unless any of these topics are an echo chamber a little mob go all out to destroy any debate and topics are locked or deleted 🤷🏻‍♂️, would be happy to put the alternative view with you and posters who can behave but that’s not how it works , perhaps mods just need to 100% not allow this stuff ?

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Is it worth it ? It’s clear that unless any of these topics are an echo chamber a little mob go all out to destroy any debate and topics are locked or deleted 🤷🏻‍♂️, would be happy to put the alternative view with you and posters who can behave but that’s not how it works , perhaps mods just need to 100% not allow this stuff ?

Or........discuss it without mentioning politics. Which was going OK in the last one until *cough* someone brought it in

1 hour ago, Archied said:

It's very simple. We are asking for no party politics.

There is so many serious discussions that can be had, alternative views be made and the topics will remain open. 

You all have to realise though that we are serious about our zero tolerance on any party politics, once that sinks in this board will more welcoming for all.

I have also made alternative suggestions where you can all moderate yourself behind a closed private group chat, I'm assuming that none of you have taken the initiative to start one. 

It is unusual for the SST to jump by so much in a single year, for a portion of that year. It's not the first time it's happened though.

Temperatures were at record levels for the entire 2nd half of the year.
image.thumb.png.3a706f1e25d249240e192c1f1c80d41d.png

High temperatures from '97 remained at record levels for the first half of the year

image.thumb.png.fa9eb1cd1c62c6690d718453ac94c0db.png

2009-2010
A big jump in December 2009 carried through to May 2010
image.thumb.png.4249034fc240c4bf23e601b763dfa1f4.png

image.thumb.png.f9ec952239c352e1bf79dad12cfa2eda.png

A record breaking autumn
image.thumb.png.adfc30cfafdbd560bc8b56addde33f76.png

2015-2016
Another long sustained period of record breaking temperatures
image.thumb.png.23070ebc7fed072f785e8adc851c4623.png

image.thumb.png.31edada14480073f8987834a00be0482.png

Global warming 

44 minutes ago, David said:

It's very simple. We are asking for no party politics.

There is so many serious discussions that can be had, alternative views be made and the topics will remain open. 

You all have to realise though that we are serious about our zero tolerance on any party politics, once that sinks in this board will more welcoming for all.

I have also made alternative suggestions where you can all moderate yourself behind a closed private group chat, I'm assuming that none of you have taken the initiative to start one. 

global warming shouldn’t be a party political debate on this forum. But then neither should free speech. In fact the principle of free speech is not that you agree with what someone says but that you defend their right to say it.

the irony is that the free speech threads are the ones most likely to get vaporised by the thought police. Why not just delete the posts of those (usual suspects) who stray into party politics. 

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Why not just delete the posts of those (usual suspects) who stray into party politics. 

We shouldn't have to.

That's the simple answer.

If you all know the rules, why are we being pushed on this?

We've been hiding posts for years, the message is not getting through. So now we'll simply lock and warn members. 

I appreciate some of you may disagree with our methods, all I would say is, we, led by myself make the decisions and that is my decision on which I will not be swayed.

It's not up for discussion, I can't be any clear, if anyone doesn't like that and sees it as some kind of dictatorship, you are free to leave. Not one of you is being held hostage and I will happily link you to all the available forums you can use instead.

And on that note, I'm happy to discuss this further with anyone by PM if you have any questions, I don't want this topic to be derailed into moderation issues.

7 minutes ago, David said:

We shouldn't have to.

That's the simple answer.

If you all know the rules, why are we being pushed on this?

We've been hiding posts for years, the message is not getting through. So now we'll simply lock and warn members. 

I appreciate some of you may disagree with our methods, all I would say is, we, led by myself make the decisions and that is my decision on which I will not be swayed.

It's not up for discussion, I can't be any clear, if anyone doesn't like that and sees it as some kind of dictatorship, you are free to leave. Not one of you is being held hostage and I will happily link you to all the available forums you can use instead.

And on that note, I'm happy to discuss this further with anyone by PM if you have any questions, I don't want this topic to be derailed into moderation issues.

I believe @i-Ram is currently chained to a radiator somewhere, however it is by choice.

This topic is such a hard one for any human could contemplate - record temperatures in one half of a year sounds catastrophic but looked at across weather patterns that ebb and flow over centuries, indeed millenia, it just isn't possible for any one human to truly appreciate if the impact is transitory or permanent. Alongside that, it's next to impossible to understand how any one person can impact that change and the one thing that is certain (and was demonstrated clearly in Covid) is that we lack the ability as a species to act on anything other than personal benefit in mind (even if that is just the endorphin rush of philanthropy).

All of that said, my personal (flawed) conclusions are:

- Stay on our current path and we are all but doomed as a species. The planet will survive and has overcome challenges far greater than anything we can throw at it but, still, we've all but signed our death warrant.

- We won't get anywhere by asking people to abstain, whether that be on the number of holidays, turning your heating down or buying one less television. Look at the obesity crisis, smoking, etc to see we just can't do it even when the impact is heavy and personal.

- The only chance we have to reverse what does seem (comments above onboard) is to invent our way out of it. Carbon capture, renewable / alternate energies. Our capitalism led planet cannot, and will not, solve the problem by taking things away.

- But even then, we have so many issues that need addressing. Biodiversity impact driven by population growth, plastics, resource depletion, inability to act quick enough - it's just a bit too much to handle it all in the time that is needed

Conclusion is very depressing but it's happening around us, in one way or another, now. And my view is we are already beyond the point of no return (at least to not have significant impact).

But, to end on a positive, I like the new away kit.

25 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

This topic is such a hard one for any human could contemplate - record temperatures in one half of a year sounds catastrophic but looked at across weather patterns that ebb and flow over centuries, indeed millenia, it just isn't possible for any one human to truly appreciate if the impact is transitory or permanent. Alongside that, it's next to impossible to understand how any one person can impact that change and the one thing that is certain (and was demonstrated clearly in Covid) is that we lack the ability as a species to act on anything other than personal benefit in mind (even if that is just the endorphin rush of philanthropy).

- Stay on our current path and we are all but doomed as a species. The planet will survive and has overcome challenges far greater than anything we can throw at it but, still, we've all but signed our death warrant.

- We won't get anywhere by asking people to abstain, whether that be on the number of holidays, turning your heating down or buying one less television. Look at the obesity crisis, smoking, etc to see we just can't do it even when the impact is heavy and personal.

- The only chance we have to reverse what does seem (comments above onboard) is to invent our way out of it. Carbon capture, renewable / alternate energies. Our capitalism led planet cannot, and will not, solve the problem by taking things away.

- But even then, we have so many issues that need addressing. Biodiversity impact driven by population growth, plastics, resource depletion, inability to act quick enough - it's just a bit too much to handle it all in the time that is needed

Conclusion is very depressing but it's happening around us, in one way or another, now. And my view is we are already beyond the point of no return (at least to not have significant impact).

This is so on the money.

What I just don't get is why the likes of Musk, Zuckerberg and Bezos - people who can really make a difference - aren't using their wealth and business brains to lead the charge on this. 

45 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is so on the money.

What I just don't get is why the likes of Musk, Zuckerberg and Bezos - people who can really make a difference - aren't using their wealth and business brains to lead the charge on this. 

Elon Musk is to an extent with his Tesla cars obviously although that alone is hardly going to grind climate change to a halt and I know that electric cars are expensive at the moment. 

@BaaLocks I think technology will help tackle climate change but we can't rely on some miracle invention to solve everything because I think that is very unlikely. 

Over consumption in general and the environmental impacts of food production are some of the main issues. If people demand more environmentally friendly products companies will provide them as companies follow the trends and demand.

I don't think it's a binary thing where we are either doomed with climate change or we will be saved and all okay. I think the minimum impact even if everything was done perfectly now would already be bad but I don't think we will have a doomsday hell on earth scenario where most humans die and everything is horrible. We need to try and minimise the impacts as much as possible and not let temperatures increase by say more than 2.5 or 3 degrees compared to pre industrial levels (is 1.5 now). Climate Scientists have the target set as 1.5 degrees but we are already screwed on that target I think but we definitely can't let things get completely out of control with 4 or 5 degree or even higher warming. 

There's alot more environmental issues than just global warming as well, general environmental destruction and abuse of the natural environment needs to be reduced as much as possible as well.

Theres too many people making million and billions out of oil and energy for it to stop.

Too many people in power (all over the world) have their fingers in the pie

you also have developing nations who are at the mercy of the dollar desperately trying to fashion a place for themselves in the world economic system that rely heavily on production. We cant really argue as a developed nation we like others have had our indistrial period, theyre having theres and playing catch up

i dont see how it stops tbh 

Edited by NottsRam77

18 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

El Nino innit?

When you see the amount of energy required to bring a kettle to the boil, I wonder how much more energy was required/absorbed to raise the ocean temperature by that much.

Scary stuff, the sh!t we have left for our kids to sort out is unreal.

I don’t think it’s just us and we shouldn’t lambast ourselves. It’s been going on at one level or another since the start of the industrial age. Population and therefore effect  (regardless of our individual contribution) has vastly increased. 
I don’t buy this “baby boomers” mass consumption blah blah. We are a filthy lot, ALL of us including the kids. Thing is there are 3 times more of us than when I was born and a greater proportion of those have consumption demands . That is inescapable. It’s a numbers game not a generation game. 

On 04/08/2023 at 19:16, NottsRam77 said:

Theres too many people making million and billions out of oil and energy for it to stop.

Too many people in power (all over the world) have their fingers in the pie

you also have developing nations who are at the mercy of the dollar desperately trying to fashion a place for themselves in the world economic system that rely heavily on production. We cant really argue as a developed nation we like others have had our indistrial period, theyre having theres and playing catch up

i dont see how it stops tbh 

In danger of crossing the streams here but have you seen the carbon footprint of crypto?

A 2022 report, titled Revisiting Bitcoin’s Carbon Footprint, conducted by climate and economics researchers across Europe estimates that “Bitcoin mining may be responsible for 65.4 megatonnes of CO2 per year … which is comparable to country-level emissions in Greece (56.6 megatonnes in 2019).”

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

In danger of crossing the streams here but have you seen the carbon footprint of crypto?

A 2022 report, titled Revisiting Bitcoin’s Carbon Footprint, conducted by climate and economics researchers across Europe estimates that “Bitcoin mining may be responsible for 65.4 megatonnes of CO2 per year … which is comparable to country-level emissions in Greece (56.6 megatonnes in 2019).”

Yeah I've chatted to @NottsRam77 about it in the crypto thread. If indeed BTC is the future of currency then it has to change the method by which it is created. Only the human race could solve it's currency problems by destroying it's climate in the process

59 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Very Happy to discuss this in the crypto topic

The btc community is v aware of this and actually technology is being used to turn that totally on its head for the good of the planet by harnessing released methane ( a major greenhouse gas) into energy(money)

https://bitcoinist.com/bitcoin-mining-6-emissions-timeline-co2-negativity/amp/

theres a better bloomberg article about this but its behind a paywall sadly 

On 05/08/2023 at 07:37, jono said:

I don’t think it’s just us and we shouldn’t lambast ourselves. It’s been going on at one level or another since the start of the industrial age. Population and therefore effect  (regardless of our individual contribution) has vastly increased. 
I don’t buy this “baby boomers” mass consumption blah blah. We are a filthy lot, ALL of us including the kids. Thing is there are 3 times more of us than when I was born and a greater proportion of those have consumption demands . That is inescapable. It’s a numbers game not a generation game. 

Especially the kids 😂.. well my

pair anyhow 

On 04/08/2023 at 15:35, BaaLocks said:

I’ve come to the same conclusion. It doesn’t matter what party you’re affiliated too, everyone should be incredibly concerned with what we can see with our own eyes. It’s not undetectably small changes in the thermometer now, it’s natural disasters on an alarming scale. It’s significant changes in weather patterns.

I think scientists have been saying we need to make changes in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years because the grim reality is too scary to contemplate. We passed the deadline ages ago.

If people got that message, then they probably wouldn’t bother doing anything. What’s the point in quitting smoking if you’ve already been given 6 months to live?

Im massively concerned, and I genuinely worry about what sort of desert wasteland we’re leaving for our kids and grandkids.