Ocean Temperature (strictly apolitical)

MaltRam

4 hours ago, Archied said:

That’s pretty ,, lots of red for DANGER 

What colour do you suggest they use?

I know you consider it doom/scaremongering but if it's a scientifically proven fact that average ocean surface temperatures have increased dramatically, then can't you see how that might be a concern?

If you're looking at the news and seeing wildfires globally on a scale that we've never seen before, and graphs like these where the bar suddenly shoots up in 2023 - and you're reaction is "meh - more doom mongering - it'll be fine" then that's up to you I guess. Ignorance is bliss as they say

image.thumb.png.55c43bc2720b1a349fbd1411b49e79d1.png

image.thumb.png.cac52d25d8d0537c382eb18757eb31a2.png

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

What colour do you suggest they use?

I know you consider it doom/scaremongering but if it's a scientifically proven fact that average ocean surface temperatures have increased dramatically, then can't you see how that might be a concern?

If you're looking at the news and seeing wildfires globally on a scale that we've never seen before, and graphs like these where the bar suddenly shoots up in 2023 - and you're reaction is "meh - more doom mongering - it'll be fine" then that's up to you I guess. Ignorance is bliss as they say

image.thumb.png.55c43bc2720b1a349fbd1411b49e79d1.png

image.thumb.png.cac52d25d8d0537c382eb18757eb31a2.png

If your looking at pretty graphs , half told news stories and paid for science to fit political and corporate  agendas and wetting your pants then I guess ignorance is bliss , crack on destroying the planet and helping the wealth shift up in this next round of grow grow grown , waste waste waste , make make make , take take take , 

you people wouldn’t know green if it grew in your back garden and rich pickings for the new oil barren con men to manipulate 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by Archied

16 minutes ago, Archied said:

If your looking at pretty graphs , half told news stories and paid for science to fit political and corporate  agendas and wetting your pants then I guess ignorance is bliss , crack on destroying the planet and helping the wealth shift up in this next round of grow grow grown , waste waste waste , make make make , take take take , 

you people wouldn’t know green if it grew in your back garden and rich pickings for the new oil barren con men to manipulate 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I’m confused. Are you for or against the oil barrens? Are you saying it’s they that are paying for the science? I can’t work out what they’d have to gain from that.

there are people who think this is all scaremongering, and there’s nothing wrong with what’s going on. But that doesn’t seem to be what you’re saying. 

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

An attention whore who'd rather be published then 'tell the whole truth'?

Yeah course he is and so is any other bugger not drinking the fear aid and driving the new forced spending , taxing and downgrading of the lives of the plebs and the feel virtuous back slapping spending of the better off who don’t realise they are next in line for the downgrade to plebery 😂😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m confused. Are you for or against the oil barrens? Are you saying it’s they that are paying for the science? I can’t work out what they’d have to gain from that.

there are people who think this is all scaremongering, and there’s nothing wrong with what’s going on. But that doesn’t seem to be what you’re saying. 

In the words of roger d ,,,,, meet the new boss ,, same as the old boss

1 minute ago, Archied said:

In the words of roger d ,,,,, meet the new boss ,, same as the old boss

Are you saying the conspiracy is to scare us omens into changing our lifestyles, so the rich can carry on living it up?

if so, I agree. Me using plastic free soap in the shower is not going to save the world. China and America converting to exclusively renewable energies will. But that won’t happen.

that’s what really depresses me, and then makes plebs like me and you think, ‘what’s the point?’

33 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Are you saying the conspiracy is to scare us omens into changing our lifestyles, so the rich can carry on living it up?

if so, I agree. Me using plastic free soap in the shower is not going to save the world. China and America converting to exclusively renewable energies will. But that won’t happen.

that’s what really depresses me, and then makes plebs like me and you think, ‘what’s the point?’

I’m not really up for the word conspiracy as it has been weaponised like the word woke,

let’s say simple stuff like multi millionaires like dale vince making they’re millions from renewables and government grants and subsidies for hi growing empire happily admitting he funds just stop oil to the tune of how much he’s not sure , where he pays it he knows not , how they use it he knows and cares not , donates to the Labour Party ( yep plenty do to other parties for they’re own ends too) 

he just one of the new industrialists who are getting rich whilst people are being more and more forced to spend with them rather than be able to say no thanks I don’t believe in your view or product,

it s undisputed now that khan spent spent the best part of £1 mill with imperial college to rubber stamp  science he had had concocted , then when they didn’t give him exactly what he wanted he went back to them and requested it be changed which they duly did , one part being the drop in pollution in his claims as 46 % which they said was 3% 

meet the new boss , same as the old boss 

so in answer to your original question ,am I against the oil barrens , yes of course and happy to fight for change if that ever arises , am I up for bringing them down to hand they’re power and money to new oil barrens ( probably them too with a change of label ) ,,,, actually no I’m not interested in the slightest , im not up for being conned into doing others dirty work ,

that very clearly tags me as some kind of nut with some on here , but don’t really give a duck,,, question everything 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

31 minutes ago, Archied said:

that very clearly tags me as some kind of nut with some on here

I don't think it makes you a nut, but it does make me feel a bit sad to see someone so horribly cynical

It's not like anything you're saying here about rich people engineering a situation to enrich themselves at the cost of the poor doesn't happen EVERYWHERE - in every walk of life.  I agree with you up to that point

I think where we differ is that I can see that both things are true. Man-Made Climate Change is real and we need to act on it - AND yes a load of ruthless oligarchs will profit massively from that at our expense. But those guys will get richer at our expense whatever , so why rail against it? The only logical thing to focus on is keeping the planet habitable and food supplies plentiful. There are only 2 outcomes and both involve the rich getting richer at the expense of the poor, just that one involves societal collapse and the other (hopefully) doesn't

Unless you have some other utopia in mind - in which case, please share it with the class

25 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I don't think it makes you a nut, but it does make me feel a bit sad to see someone so horribly cynical

It's not like anything you're saying here about rich people engineering a situation to enrich themselves at the cost of the poor doesn't happen EVERYWHERE - in every walk of life.  I agree with you up to that point

I think where we differ is that I can see that both things are true. Man-Made Climate Change is real and we need to act on it - AND yes a load of ruthless oligarchs will profit massively from that at our expense. But those guys will get richer at our expense whatever , so why rail against it? The only logical thing to focus on is keeping the planet habitable and food supplies plentiful. There are only 2 outcomes and both involve the rich getting richer at the expense of the poor, just that one involves societal collapse and the other (hopefully) doesn't

Unless you have some other utopia in mind - in which case, please share it with the class

I’m not cynical of everything though I do always want to hear both sides of any argument and of course people will always profit from stuff , where we differ I think is I truly believe that we have seen a massive rise in paid for science to produce results that suit political and corporate agendas and the aggressive suppression of any science that questions it , I’m no different to anybody sensible in that I would like a better planet I just believe that’s not where we are and things will probably get worse because of it,

the saddest bit is the massive rise in fear and anxiety in people especially our young 🤷‍♂️

that’s just where I am on all this and how the worlds gone in the last few years 

Edited by Archied

27 minutes ago, Archied said:

I’m not cynical of everything though I do always want to hear both sides of any argument and of course people will always profit from stuff , where we differ I think is I truly believe that we have seen a massive rise in paid for science to produce results that suit political and corporate agendas and the aggressive suppression of any science that questions it , I’m no different to anybody sensible in that I would like a better planet I just believe that’s not where we are and things will probably get worse because of it,

the saddest bit is the massive rise in fear and anxiety in people especially our young 🤷‍♂️

that’s just where I am on all this and how the worlds gone in the last few years 

Obviously the people who profit from climate change are those that sell the solar panels and the electric cars (Elon musk for example). And rich people didn’t get rich by being stupid (for the most part), so any oil baron needs to be looking at renewables and investing their money in that direction.

mat the end of the day, unless there’s some massive world shift to communism, you’re going to have to buy your solar panels off someone, someone will be making a profit off them. But I’d rather people get rich off solar panels, than get rich off oil, for example. Certainly the lesser of two evils.

It is sad to see how much fear there is. I’m scared to be honest. I feel we’re at a point beyond no return. I actually think when scientists say we have to make significant changes by 2030, or 2040, I think they give arbitrary deadlines because really we should’ve made the changes 5 or 10 years ago, it’s already too late, but that’s just too scary to say. They’ve been scare mongering for years. And it’s scaring the ordinary people the most, because ordinary people can’t do a thing about it, and will be effected the worst. Scientists are trying to scare governments and organisations into action, but they don’t seem to give a crap. 

at the end of the day, action needs to be taken. How would you get them to take action? Apparently scaring them to death isn’t working. People literally want to prioritise their current short term comfort over the lives of their children and grand children. I can’t understand that point of view at all. I am genuinely concerned about the world my kids will grow up in. But at least it won’t be such a long drive to the beach. 

16 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Obviously the people who profit from climate change are those that sell the solar panels and the electric cars (Elon musk for example). And rich people didn’t get rich by being stupid (for the most part), so any oil baron needs to be looking at renewables and investing their money in that direction.

mat the end of the day, unless there’s some massive world shift to communism, you’re going to have to buy your solar panels off someone, someone will be making a profit off them. But I’d rather people get rich off solar panels, than get rich off oil, for example. Certainly the lesser of two evils.

It is sad to see how much fear there is. I’m scared to be honest. I feel we’re at a point beyond no return. I actually think when scientists say we have to make significant changes by 2030, or 2040, I think they give arbitrary deadlines because really we should’ve made the changes 5 or 10 years ago, it’s already too late, but that’s just too scary to say. They’ve been scare mongering for years. And it’s scaring the ordinary people the most, because ordinary people can’t do a thing about it, and will be effected the worst. Scientists are trying to scare governments and organisations into action, but they don’t seem to give a crap. 

at the end of the day, action needs to be taken. How would you get them to take action? Apparently scaring them to death isn’t working. People literally want to prioritise their current short term comfort over the lives of their children and grand children. I can’t understand that point of view at all. I am genuinely concerned about the world my kids will grow up in. But at least it won’t be such a long drive to the beach. 

Honestly mate this last few years has been totally disastrous for people , through covid and then straight onto climate crisis , nhs in crisis , immigration crisis , crisis crisis crisis, fear and anxiety generated from above ,

Its bloody wrong and god knows what our young are going to grow up like , if you can , do everything possible to lose the fear , lives are not meant to be lived that way 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

Just watched someone defending khan taxing the less well off £12.50 a day stating that it’s been shown that children in inner cities develop smaller lungs , just want to sit these buggers down and ask them that if that’s true do they not think the policy off selling off school sports fields may be a factor , would poorly built and maintained housing filled with damp and mould with no gardens open air playing spaces or local parks not be a factor , would poor diet be a factor , the poor little girl who actually did die with road pollution named as a factor on her death certificate had terrible as an asthma and allergy issues , I would really like to see how many requests for re housing because of these medical issues the local authorities turned down/ ignored ,

I know @Stive Pesley sees me as cynical but as I get older I get really tired of the bull poo , ulez is another tax on the poor spun as a badge of being caring and virtuous by people like khan who actually don’t give a flying duck about people or addressing issues unless there’s doe in it , knife crime deaths anyone ? same with net zero , forced consumption forced by tax or laws , just look at the powers in the new bill passed yesterday, people not allowed to sell they’re houses unless the meet energy certs and the gov have powers to fine and even jail people who don’t get there houses up to these standards , that’s not going to see the forced transfer of housing to the folks with plenty already ,

I know net zero and less pollution is a good thing in many ways but I also wish some would really take a look at what’s going on under its banner sometimes and become a bit more wary and questioning of where we are going because I know from posts and conversations these are mainly decent people with decent caring values 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

It's not a thread for low emission zones, so we could start a non-political one for that but I suspect it wouldn't last very long.

Needless to say that the data shows 9 out of 10 cars seen driving in outer London on an average day meet the Ultra Low Emission Zone standards. So it's not targeting many people, and there are grants to encourage people to get rid of their older more-polluting cars. Not quite the assault on poor people that some claim. Almost as if there is an over-amplified voice from old giffers who don't want to give up driving their big old car.

Prediction - in twenty years most of them will be dead and ULEZ will be seen as a great success that no one bats an eye over

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Just watched someone defending khan taxing the less well off £12.50 a day stating that it’s been shown that children in inner cities develop smaller lungs , just want to sit these buggers down and ask them that if that’s true do they not think the policy off selling off school sports fields may be a factor , would poorly built and maintained housing filled with damp and mould with no gardens open air playing spaces or local parks not be a factor , would poor diet be a factor , the poor little girl who actually did die with road pollution named as a factor on her death certificate had terrible as an asthma and allergy issues , I would really like to see how many requests for re housing because of these medical issues the local authorities turned down/ ignored ,

I know @Stive Pesley sees me as cynical but as I get older I get really tired of the bull poo , ulez is another tax on the poor spun as a badge of being caring and virtuous by people like khan who actually don’t give a flying duck about people or addressing issues unless there’s doe in it , knife crime deaths anyone ? same with net zero , forced consumption forced by tax or laws , just look at the powers in the new bill passed yesterday, people not allowed to sell they’re houses unless the meet energy certs and the gov have powers to fine and even jail people who don’t get there houses up to these standards , that’s not going to see the forced transfer of housing to the folks with plenty already ,

I know net zero and less pollution is a good thing in many ways but I also wish some would really take a look at what’s going on under its banner sometimes and become a bit more wary and questioning of where we are going because I know from posts and conversations these are mainly decent people with decent caring values 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s like PPE during covid. It’s undoubtedly a good and important thing, but so much shameless profiteering from it.

I wonder, if there was an actual zombie apocalypse tomorrow, and money was deemed worthless, would those with the means to help actually bother helping at that point? During covid, really any viral service, like a ppe manufacturer, should have some sort of freeze in all profits, just enough to cover costs and fair wages, so as many people as possible can get access to the things they need, and it doesn’t eventually gave a knock on effect for others. 

Bringing it back on subject, you could say the same thing about this. Essentially de privatised the manufacture of solar panels and other things essential to saving the planet. Ensure solar panels are in the roof of every home in the country at cost or less. Zero profits. Imagine if some rich company actually funded that sort of project. 

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's not a thread for low emission zones, so we could start a non-political one for that but I suspect it wouldn't last very long.

Needless to say that the data shows 9 out of 10 cars seen driving in outer London on an average day meet the Ultra Low Emission Zone standards. So it's not targeting many people, and there are grants to encourage people to get rid of their older more-polluting cars. Not quite the assault on poor people that some claim. Almost as if there is an over-amplified voice from old giffers who don't want to give up driving their big old car.

Prediction - in twenty years most of them will be dead and ULEZ will be seen as a great success that no one bats an eye over

Ok mate , your post clearly shows you really have no idea regards the situation in the extended london zone and how the data has been selected , but that’s ok why should you 🤷🏻‍♂️