Ocean Temperature (strictly apolitical)

MaltRam

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

In danger of crossing the streams here but have you seen the carbon footprint of crypto?

A 2022 report, titled Revisiting Bitcoin’s Carbon Footprint, conducted by climate and economics researchers across Europe estimates that “Bitcoin mining may be responsible for 65.4 megatonnes of CO2 per year … which is comparable to country-level emissions in Greece (56.6 megatonnes in 2019).”

And all for what is nothing more than a 21st century Ponzi scheme. There is nothing behind crypto except gambling and encouraging others to gamble. Looking at the energy consumption on top of that and scams it generates It is perhaps the worst example of human endeavour. Yuk. It’s why Kirchner existed at all. Oil at least keeps people warm and mobile ! 

2 hours ago, jono said:

And all for what is nothing more than a 21st century Ponzi scheme. There is nothing behind crypto except gambling and encouraging others to gamble. Looking at the energy consumption on top of that and scams it generates It is perhaps the worst example of human endeavour. Yuk. It’s why Kirchner existed at all. Oil at least keeps people warm and mobile ! 

Theres nothing behind crypto (altcoins) correct, they are mostly pomzis

theres everything behind bitcoin though, its digital gold … why else do 2 of the 3 biggest hedgefund management companies on the planet (blackrock and fidelity) have it on their balance sheets .. they wouldnt spend millions on a ponzi

but thats for a discussion on the world of crypto thread not here 

Edited by NottsRam77

2 hours ago, jono said:

People Gamble on the dollar every day … and every day they print more of them so your losing …

so its Not even a fair bet 😂😂

bitcoin protects people from governments around the world debasing their local Currencies. 

Oil also funds wars …. so 🤷

Edited by NottsRam77

57 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

People Gamble on the dollar every day … and every day they print more of them so your losing …

so its Not even a fair bet 😂😂

bitcoin protects people from governments around the world debasing their local Currencies. 

Oil also funds wars …. so 🤷

Yes, another thread I suppose. 🤷‍♂️ But sorry, I hate it and everything it stands for. It’s clever dick money without tangible assets or honest work and risk done and born. The fact the Black rock and others have it in their menu makes me puke but it also cements my opinion that fund managers are at least as interested in Looking after themselves instead of indulging in investing in solid companies with either sound profits or good potential for growth for their clients and investors on the basis of their plans. The financial services industry is a shark pit no matter how many OBE’s they have. I am pretty conservative, business friendly, pro market but crypto currencies stink to high heaven in my book. 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes, another thread I suppose. 🤷‍♂️ But sorry, I hate it and everything it stands for. It’s clever dick money without tangible assets or honest work and risk done and born. The fact the Black rock and others have it in their menu makes me puke but it also cements my opinion that fund managers are at least as interested in Looking after themselves instead of indulging in investing in solid companies with either sound profits or good potential for growth for their clients and investors on the basis of their plans. The financial services industry is a shark pit no matter how many OBE’s they have. I am pretty conservative, business friendly, pro market but crypto currencies stink to high heaven in my book. 

I agree crypto currencies stink to high heaven .. but bitcoin isnt a crypto currency .. its bitcoin.

ill happily explain the differences elsewhere and the purpose bitcoin serves ….. respect your opinion totally, i just think like many you just see bitcoin as “that crypto thing” without actually knowing a lot about what it does , can do and will do.

and i truly hand on heart dont mean that in a condescending or arsey way 👍🤝😊 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

I agree crypto currencies stink to high heaven .. but bitcoin isnt a crypto currency .. its bitcoin.

ill happily explain the differences elsewhere and the purpose bitcoin serves ….. respect your opinion totally, i just think like many you just see bitcoin as “that crypto thing” without actually knowing a lot about what it does , can do and will do.

and i truly hand on heart dont mean that in a condescending or arsey way 👍🤝😊 

Hey, we’ve exchanged views on here for an age and in a completely temperate way. Totally understand your stance, no argument at all. I am a bit grumpy/traditional, and, despite being risk averse, have been caught the odd time in life which colours my outlook somewhat. I do think (and declaim) in pretty straight lines. I should be a bit more bendy I suppose 🤣

Edited by jono

42 minutes ago, jono said:

Hey, we’ve exchanged views on here for an age and in a completely temperate way. Totally understand your stance, no argument at all. I am a bit grumpy/traditional, and, despite being risk averse, have been caught the odd time in life which colours my outlook somewhat. I do think (and declaim) in pretty straight lines. I should be a bit more bendy I suppose 🤣

😂

its a weird concept and one that not only has take me best part of 2/3 years to get my head around but also some costly mistakes along the way.

Re points of view. Totally, all good buddy. U know i respect ur opinion, u always support anything u say with good reasoning 👍🐏

Is all this necessary on a forum about Derby County ?

Just going by the title and first post , Not that I’ve read any of the tedious clap trap ! 

Same goes for all the high brow self declared EXPERTS on the climate scaremongering posting on here .

Go and bore someone else on a forum set up for it ! 

COY🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑s

1 hour ago, Seaside Ram said:

Is all this necessary on a forum about Derby County ?

Just going by the title and first post , Not that I’ve read any of the tedious clap trap ! 

Same goes for all the high brow self declared EXPERTS on the climate scaremongering posting on here .

Go and bore someone else on a forum set up for it ! 

COY🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑s

Its in the Jim Smith room to discuss non Derby stuff.

You don't have to read any of it if you don't want to.🤷‍♀️

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its in the Jim Smith room to discuss non Derby stuff.

You don't have to read any of it if you don't want to.🤷‍♀️

Yes, “The Jim Smith Room”. Hardly the sort of thing dear old Jim would have enjoyed over a pint or two ? 

As earlier suggested, take your boring politics elsewhere , preferably a forum set up for it . 💤💤

1 hour ago, Seaside Ram said:

Yes, “The Jim Smith Room”. Hardly the sort of thing dear old Jim would have enjoyed over a pint or two ? 

As earlier suggested, take your boring politics elsewhere , preferably a forum set up for it . 💤💤

Nothing to do with you though, is it? I mean you are literally trying to tell one of the forum mods what he can and can't post 😂

Here's a thought... Instead of trying to dictate to the entire forum, why not stop acting like a mardy toddler and simply stick to threads that don't instantly trigger you. Hey presto, all is good in the hood.

No need to thank me.

You're welcome x

2 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

If only there was a way for you to not read stuff you don't want to read

2 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

We’re specifically not brining politics into this thread. Clue’s in the title. 

If I joined a forum called ‘climate change is terrifying and we’re all doomed’ it would just be an echo chamber. The thing I really like about this forum is that we have one thing in common that brings us together, but apart from that we may not have anything at all in common, so it’s interesting to see the different points of view, and hear from people who know far more than me. We’re all derby fans, but we also have members who are experts in their own areas.

Hence why we all have to play nice, so we can continue to have conversations like this. If we could only talk about Derby County, it would get very boring very quickly, but if that’s your thing, and that’s why you’re here, there’s a room for that. 

4 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

I thought you'd be interested in the topic as you'll be 'Undersea Ram' soon enough

Whilst the oil and gas lobby wield huge amounts of influence over governments and commentarors across the world there will never be a good faith discussion about climate change and the role fossil fuels play in it.

Too many people do too well out of fossil fuels for real change to be made. 

This isn't party political, it's just the reality of the situation. I think everyone with two eyes and a brain knows that wrecking the planet we depend on is a crap idea.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Whilst the oil and gas lobby wield huge amounts of influence over governments and commentarors across the world there will never be a good faith discussion about climate change and the role fossil fuels play in it.

This isn't party political, it's just the reality of the situation. I think everyone with two eyes and a brain knows that wrecking the planet we depend on is a crap idea.

Unless you’re super rich and will be long dead before it matters.

I suppose it’s a weird catch 22. I’ve worked hard (or more accurately my granddaddy worked hard) so our family could be comfortable for generations to come. I can continue that prosperity, so my kids and grandkids can be comfortable (option a), but at the same time know they’ll probably be living in a post apocalyptic nightmare where cash is worthless (option b). 

You’re going to hang on to the reality that option a is the reality and option b is a fantasy. It’s easy for us poor people to tell rich people to give up their riches for the good of everyone’s kids. But it probably isn’t so easy if you’re actually rich and feel that you’ve already done right by your kids. 

Mehat I don’t get is why these rich people don’t switch wholesale to renewables. Elon musk has shown you can get mega rich that way. There’s more sun in Dubai than oil. They’re all being very short sighted by keeping the oil wheel turning, both business-wise and environmentally. Saudi Arabia have kind of got the right idea by making hay while the sun shines and starting to diversify. 

13 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Its not party political at all. I believe the power of the old families who own the oil and gas corporations is immeasurable. In the UK and USA both major political party's are fully owned and controlled by them. The vast majority of so called protest groups are also funded and controlled by the same people - controlled opposition i think its called.

Follow the money - it always leads you to the true power.

• 2 weeks later...

Another interesting article about how switching the world's shipping to cleaner fuels has actually driven climate change faster (essentially because the old sulphur emissions actually helped to reflect sunlight)

https://medium.com/predict/clean-fuel-laws-may-have-caused-this-years-sudden-climate-change-5d0928d9f4d5

Not saying it's a solution, but goes to show how our ecosystem is so finely tuned in all areas - you have to hope that we can geo-engineer our way out of the current trajectory somehow

Edited by Stive Pesley

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Another interesting article about how switching the world's shipping to cleaner fuels has actually driven climate change faster (essentially because the old sulphur emissions actually helped to reflect sunlight)

https://medium.com/predict/clean-fuel-laws-may-have-caused-this-years-sudden-climate-change-5d0928d9f4d5

Not saying it's a solution, but goes to show how our ecosystem is so finely tuned in all areas - you have to hope that we can geo-engineer our way out of the current trajectory somehow

Yeah, it's ironic that the very air pollution which is so detrimental to our health has been helping offset the warming due to climate change over the last few decades.  This 'global dimming' can also be caused by volcanic eruptions, which have a tendency to spew huge amounts of sulphate aerosols into the atmosphere. Unfortunately, the huge eruption in Tonga last year emitted mostly water vapour, which warms up the atmosphere rather than cools it down.  So, that's another reason for the record breaking temperatures this year.  Along with El Nino, and the fact that we are now on an upwards curve in the 22 year solar irradiance cycle, there isn't really any surprise that this year is a record breaker.  These last two are cycles are periodic, and the relatively minor Tonga effect be will short-term, so at least there is that. 

• 3 weeks later...