Coming Season

i-Ram

Now, I have only been watching highlights, but is anyone actually more confident that 12 months on we are any more likely to go up than we were as we got ready to square up to Charlton last season.

To be honest I am not. Probably a bit stronger at the back as we enter this season, probably (hopefully) a bit fitter. But not really sure we have greatly kicked on over the last 12 months.

I did think we would go up last season, and I do think we will this. But my confidence this season comes more from what we are up against, rather than what we have become.

Maybe a couple of decent additions will be sufficient to do the trick, but I really can’t see us leaving everyone else in the slipstream, and I think a few ugly games might lie ahead in the months ahead.

Up the Rams!

Just now, i-Ram said:

Now, I have only been watching highlights, but is anyone actually more confident that 12 months on we are any more likely to go up than we were as we got ready to square up to Charlton last season.

To be honest I am not. Probably a bit stronger at the back as we enter this season, probably (hopefully) a bit fitter. But not really sure we have greatly kicked on over the last 12 months.

I did think we would go up last season, and I do think we will this. But my confidence this season comes more from what we are up against, rather than what we have become.

Maybe a couple of decent additions will be sufficient to do the trick, but I really can’t see us leaving everyone else in the slipstream, and I think a few ugly games might lie ahead in the months ahead.

Up the Rams!

Agree with most of that but my view would probably change with a couple of further additions up top…

Me.

I thought we looked a good team against a team in the league above - not having that Shef U are Prem, well not that lot on the pitch today! 😄

I don't like 3 CBs never will, but it will be good enough in league 1. We have enough and differing options to create chances and we even have a relatively decent (albeit limited) strike force.

So yes the squad now looks stronger and mostly better balanced in the spread of experience and skills. #COYR

No.

Then again I'm not any less confident either.

Always had the belief none of this will be easy, but we should be up there.

Some have ideas we would walk the league, you start down that path it will only lead to disappointment and anger when we start drawing 1-1 away to Fleetwood.

I do think we should have enough to challenge for a top 6 position. Easy it will not be.

We don't have a divine right to get promoted out of League 1 because we have the largest home support, we won a couple of titles 50 odd years ago yada yada.

Maybe we've found our true level playing in League 1, some supporters seen desperate to go down the same route as we did when we were in the Championship to get promotion at any costs because we should be playing in the Premiership in their eyes.

Why not just be happy with what you've got. 

Still think we are vulnerable to the counter attack as our midfield players are one-paced. I’d say we need one defensive and one offensive midfielders, a speedy forward and a goalscorer because Collins needs help.

I’d be playing Bird and the defensive mid at home, and Bird plus two newbies away.

Smith is tidy but slow and Hourihane doesn’t quite offer enough. With his experience he should be pinging balls in to our forwards. He plays it too safe.

We need a player that can stretch defenders - Dobbin v1.1

As it stands i think we can push for top 4, with a few more additions I think we will make top 2.

Not saying it will be easy but i also dont think there are many, if any, better squads than ours even as it is even now.

Edited by DCFC1388

24 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Up the Rams!

I would broadly agree. We look like a top 6 squad but not a top 2 one, even if you include Waghorn. 

I'd suggest we are 3 or 4 players away from that. 

I went today and it's the only friendly i have seen so can only judge by what i saw.As we stand problems we had last year with wing backs remain. PW favoured system is going to be difficult to implement, 1st half it just did not work. Only when Forsyth was introduced that it looked better. The thing is we can't rely on him to play a full season in that position. It may not be easy, again.

1 minute ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I went today and it's the only friendly i have seen so can only judge by what i saw.As we stand problems we had last year with wing backs remain. PW favoured system is going to be difficult to implement, 1st half it just did not work. Only when Forsyth was introduced that it looked better. The thing is we can't rely on him to play a full season in that position. It may not be easy, again.

I think Fozzy will start there v Wigan, but yes, he can't be a long term bet. 

I hate to be pessimistic this early on but if we are a top 6 side it’s because of how much weaker the league is this year - not because of our dealings in the market.

Very underwhelmed by the transfer dealings, without McGoldrick I think we actually look worse 😞

Hope I’m wrong but I reckon he hasn’t been able to get who he wants and we’re left with the scraps…

1 minute ago, Justa said:

I hate to be pessimistic this early on but if we are a top 6 side it’s because of how much weaker the league is this year - not because of our dealings in the market.

Very underwhelmed by the transfer dealings, without McGoldrick I think we actually look worse 😞

Hope I’m wrong but I reckon he hasn’t been able to get who he wants and we’re left with the scraps…

Our back 5 is much better than it was last season but we do require a few more attacking players but Warne also knows this

35 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Fully agree. 

Poor recruitment in the final third is killing us. Still got a month left, but it’s sucking the life out of my optimism. Play offs at best IMO.

I know it's pure semantics but I'd prefer to call it unsuccessful recruitment in the final third rather than poor recruitment. I wouldn't be surprised if PW has chased targets that most of us would be very happy with but, for one reason or another, they haven't come off. "Poor" kind of implies (in my mind anyway) that we have signed players that haven't been good enough. 

Yes. I think we are a more well rounded team now with wing backs, and seem to be doing much better creating opportunities with crosses. I think we're more well rounded than we were. We still could do with more upfront though. Another point in our favour as I would suggest that the league appears to be weaker this year. Wednesday and Ipswich were the biggest budgets, and the teams coming down are not of the same calibre. 

I am confident the squad is more balanced than last year with improved/more suitable depth, although we still need those 2 or 3 extra players (ideally another left wing back, a midfield option and a striker who offers a bit more pace) along with special squad liaison consultant to Clowes Properties with player privileges, Martin Waghorn… 👀 

As for promotion my expectations have always been a challenge for top 6 and anything more is a bonus. The league may have poorer quality than the championship in general, but it’s a long season and there’s still another 23 other teams pursuing their own success. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Think we look more resilient this season and based on what I saw last year regarding other teams in the league that will take us a long long way. Most other teams played truly awful football with an almost total lack of quality and the only reason we didn't make top 6 was our own mistakes, small squad and lack of a proper defence set up. Keep a clean sheet for 60 minutes and we will win almost any game this season is my guess.

Edited by InstaRam