Coming Season

i-Ram

I mentioned earlier in the summer that I have a feeling we will line up on the first day if the season with a weaker starting XI than the one that finished last season.

I stand by that point.

We may have more squad depth, but I don’t think we are top two material.

Playoffs is a must. No excuses.

16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I mentioned earlier in the summer that I have a feeling we will line up on the first day if the season with a weaker starting XI than the one that finished last season.

I stand by that point.

Curtis Davies has gone, so I don’t think we will be regardless of the missing forward signings. 

5 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Whose squad is then?

In terms of depth? Literally everyone.

I've said it before. last year on the back page of every match programme the visiting squad had more players than us.

We fell down last year because the squad couldn’t cope with injuries and couldn’t rotate players out to either rest them or cope with players dropping out of form.

But this year we’re going to target automatics with an even smaller squad. It’s a bold strategy…

2 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

In terms of depth? Literally everyone.

I've said it before. last year on the back page of every match programme the visiting squad had more players than us.

We fell down last year because the squad couldn’t cope with injuries and couldn’t rotate players out to either rest them or cope with players dropping out of form.

But this year we’re going to target automatics with an even smaller squad. It’s a bold strategy…

Having more players obviously worked well for the 17 teams that finished below us 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I stand by that point.

Who's your top 2 then 

I’m confident of a top two finish, personally. I’m confident that we will bring in a striker and a few more players, as well as not losing anyone else. My confidence is more to do with the lack of quality within the league than anything else, obviously there will be some surprises and some players who perform much better than anticipated, but I feel that we have experience in defence and that with a few additions, we will have enough in the team to win games at this level - it really is a poor division when all said and done. Consistency will be the key and I think we have the experience within it to make sure levels don’t drop too much. 

IMO it feels like Warne and his team have worked well on the most important factors of a successful team: teamwork, leadership, trust, and cohesion. Obviously, it matters do we have good enough player material to challenge for automatic promotion but it's hardly the only factor whether we are successful or not. 

I have high expectations, I think the team is good enough for challenging for promotion, and during the long season, it's the mental side (annual Feb collapse) that matters even more than the quality of the players (Chelsea last season).