v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't think we looked dangerous at all. The fact that we had 4 shots on target in the entire game hardly speaks to a menacing attack. I thought Wigan actually contained us quite easily. They were dogged, won their headers in the box and defend the space relatively well, basically inviting us to cross it which we duly did. We struggled to build up a head of steam, and the tempo was desperately slow, which is the opposite of what you want when you're crossing plenty and you need to move the defence about so they struggle to mark your forward line or defend the space well. 

We looked more controlled in the second half, before giving away another goal, but we didn't really offer much in terms of chances. Didn't think NML offered anything up today and was almost invisible apart from a single shot 20 yards out. Smith had a mixed game but was better than Bird who had an absolute stinker. 

I agree.  One result isn't the end of the world, but where is the pace?  Where is the danger?  I can't imagine many teams, seeing that, will be exactly in fear of us.  I'm very disappointed and not just with the result.

37 minutes ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Evening,

I'm new to this forum but been a Derby fan born and bred for 20+ years. Opinions often seem to be glass half full side of the fence but that is probably the average football fan outside of the Etihad.

I found today incredibly frustrating like most and fully acknowledge its the first game of the season and is not always a barometer of what the next game will be like let alone the season.

I actually think Wigan were alright , deserve credit. Wyke doesn't belong in L1 and I for one underestimated them purely based on the familiar feeling of chaos that's engulfed their preparations to the season. But.. I'm actually more worried than most and my feelings stem back to last season.

I appreciate all managers have a style and Warne knows his and has seen the fruits from it with Rotherham. His signings fit his ideas obviously and I thought Ward was great and the likes of Bradley, Nelson, Elder will improve although I can't say any of the new signings stunk the place bar the error from Bradley.

What does bother me is two things; the one dimensional almost pub football style of 'dump as many balls into the box as possible and one might bounce for us', which seems to be a Warne trait, but more worrying today was the almost confusion amongst the players about their roles and how this left the team so exposed. When we were defending goal kicks, particularly first half, Joe Ward was 10 yards into their half and Nelson was 20 yards infield so the keeper was able to launch it 70 yards to McManaman. Eiran Cashin I thought looked very unsure of his role and the overlapping centre half ala Sheff U does not suit him at all. One cross in the first half went for a throw in on half way. Max Bird isn't a 10 or an 8 and with Smith and Hourihane basically playing as 6's our centre midfield was non existant. NML again isn't a 10 and is only effective, in spurts, on the right but is likely to be in the way of Ward. Just felt a bit chaotic, unbalanced and I don't feel Waghorn gives too much we don't have now.

Lots of work to do and to my mind, we need more like 5 or 6 players. Perhaps the style will click slightly more if he can get the personnel he needs by the end of the window but a little bit confused by today more than anything 

Brilliant first post. Really well put and totally agree. 

Think we were unlucky and not too concerned yet. My main gripe was the midfield.  Hourihane is so sluggish at times, Bird really frustrates me  just doesn't do enough and is too safe. Smith is fine but not creative in any way and with NML lost in the 10 role there is a huge gap in the middle of the park. Tactically it looked very poor at times.

16 minutes ago, falconram said:

Missed the game today but was able to watch it, points from the performance, we need 4 more new additions 2 forward a wide man and a midfield destroyer, that's as Important as the two forwards, if we have to sell Bird so be it. Played OK but mistakes and just not enough up top, fozzy scores a second the game is won. 

45 games to go keep the faith and if my memory serves me right we lost to Wigan opening day of the season under Arthur Cox and went on to win the league. 

Thought it might have been Oldham under Arthur 🤔 Might be wrong. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

I’m hoping Bradley was just nervous but that was a concerning performance from him. Lack of communication, really tentative at attacking the ball. He’s 6ft 5 and wanted the ball the bounce every time. It was bizarre. 

Not excusing anyone’s lack of judgment, and there were numerous errors, but their Goalie had a great kick on him. Good long range and height too, meaning bounce was unpredictable and very awkward to judge. He was their MOTM for me and gave them some excellent opportunities. 

21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Watch the goal again. Bradley is under a lot of pressure because we only have two players back, and Wigan have three up on the press. I’m not excusing the absolutely terrible pass, which was his fault and no one else’s, but it would've been easier for him if he had someone else to pass to. Both CBs were so high that wasn’t an option.

Watched it again. Nelson receives the ball from Hourihane and because he takes his first touch backwards he sees Bradley as the obvious pass. It's not a bad pass but admittedly Bradley needs to think and act quickly. His options are (1) the one he tried to take (Wildsmith); (2) back to Nelson or the space to the right of Nelson; (3) wide to Cashin, who is in space, but it probably needs Bradley to swivel around to play it to him (not so easy for a big man); or (4) boot it into touch! (probably not one he'd go with on instinct)

Options 1 and 2 hardly put him in the tightest scrape in a footballer's career, and almost the entire problem amounts to what Bradley does next, even though he attempted to take what was probably the best option available. Realistically, you'd be looking at my standard of football not to have done better with that situation. That's what makes it an awful error and not one I'd expect him to repeat.

After that, I agree that the chess pieces weren't ideally set up on the board, and Wigan squeezed us pretty well in that passage of play.

1 minute ago, jono said:

Not excusing anyone’s lack of judgment, and there were numerous errors, but their Goalie had a great kick on him. Good long range and height too, meaning bounce was unpredictable and very awkward to judge. He was their MOTM for me and gave them some excellent opportunities. 

To be fair their goalie was very good all round - looked a genuinely good academy graduate for them.

22 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

At 0-0 we had chances to put the game to bed,but our lack of quality up front as usual failed to make them count.defences are always going to make mistakes, they become a problem when you can't make the most of your own chances.its not just the first game of the season,it's gone on for multiple seasons,it's one of the reasons we are where we are

A penalty should have been given from the corner where our player almost had his shirt pulled off and Collins side footing a ball that I  believe he never expected, A shot that the keeper did well to beat out from NML, Wigan were organised, Got men behind the ball when we had the ball, Not enough nouse to break them down, Good at running the clock down...ie their second goal celebrating at the North Stand and taking some 3mins to re set the kick off.

2 mistakes cost us but it's all PWs fault...still there's 45 games to sort this out 😁

6 minutes ago, jameso said:

Watched it again. Nelson receives the ball from Hourihane and because he takes his first touch backwards he sees Bradley as the obvious pass. It's not a bad pass but admittedly Bradley needs to think and act quickly. His options are (1) the one he tried to take (Wildsmith); (2) back to Nelson or the space to the right of Nelson; (3) wide to Cashin, who is in space, but it probably needs Bradley to swivel around to play it to him (not so easy for a big man); or (4) boot it into touch! (probably not one he'd go with on instinct)

Options 1 and 2 hardly put him in the tightest scrape in a footballer's career, and almost the entire problem amounts to what Bradley does next, even though he attempted to take what was probably the best option available. Realistically, you'd be looking at my standard of football not to have done better with that situation. That's what makes it an awful error and not one I'd expect him to repeat.

After that, I agree that the chess pieces weren't ideally set up on the board, and Wigan squeezed us pretty well in that passage of play.

That wasn't the only time he didn't look good though is it?

9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Brilliant first post. Really well put and totally agree. 

Think we were unlucky and not too concerned yet. My main gripe was the midfield.  Hourihane is so sluggish at times, Bird really frustrates me  just doesn't do enough and is too safe. Smith is fine but not creative in any way and with NML lost in the 10 role there is a huge gap in the middle of the park. Tactically it looked very poor at times.

Good reply and I agree with your points. 

I’m certain we’ll improve and win far more games than we’ll lose (as others have said, I’m not sure we’re giving Wigan quite the credit they deserve) but I was also a little concerned with how easily we were opened up by a speedy defence. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

That wasn't the only time he didn't look good though is it?

Agreed - I thought he looked a little nervy generally and not as decisive/commanding as we might have hoped from reputation and pre-season games.

Wigan continually exploited PW’s infatuation with pressing. In the most part they just played around the pressing players.

Better to get some sort of organisation into the team when the opposition have the ball.
When we have the ball we cannot be so predictable in our forward play. 

I hope he does a better job with the team going forward. 

3 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Wigan continually exploited PW’s infatuation with pressing. In the most part they just played around the pressing players.

Better to get some sort of organisation into the team when the opposition have the ball.
When we have the ball we cannot be so predictable in our forward play. 

I hope he does a better job with the team going forward. 

Nothing wrong with wanting to press and play with high energy if you have the players for that..