v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't think we looked dangerous at all. The fact that we had 4 shots on target in the entire game hardly speaks to a menacing attack. I thought Wigan actually contained us quite easily. They were dogged, won their headers in the box and defend the space relatively well, basically inviting us to cross it which we duly did. We struggled to build up a head of steam, and the tempo was desperately slow, which is the opposite of what you want when you're crossing plenty and you need to move the defence about so they struggle to mark your forward line or defend the space well. 

We looked more controlled in the second half, before giving away another goal, but we didn't really offer much in terms of chances. Didn't think NML offered anything up today and was almost invisible apart from a single shot 20 yards out. Smith had a mixed game but was better than Bird who had an absolute stinker. 

Think this is the fascinating thing about football, we all see it so differently. 
I think we could easily have scored 4 on another day, three sitters. Collins 6 yards out unmarked, Bradley free header and Fozzy at the back stick from 5 yards.. easily could have had more on another day. 

I think the last time we really looked toothless like you’re describing was under Rooney where we seemed to be 0-0 at HT every game and zero SOT was a regular occurrence. 

We’re a bit of quality away from cracking it IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Not a performance completely devoid of quality, after all we had the most goal attempts in the league on the day, but unfortunately one that typifies a Paul Warne Derby County. Naive unforced errors at times where we seem intent on killing ourselves. We can’t seem to stop giving teams easy opportunities - you saw it against Sheff Utd and again today. It’s crazy to me that some still associate Warne with pragmatism. What I’ve seen of his Derby side, he’s the furthest thing from a pragmatic manager I have ever seen.

Unfortunately, it also compounds our need for a striker. It’s a game of margins and it’s shown that we are a team lacking, critically, in the area of most value to a successful side. If Warne doesn’t sort it, I doubt he will lose his job, but will most certainly lose the fans.  

I’m trying not to overreact, but if Warne doesn’t change the narrative then years down the line this experience will always be viewed in this light: A manager who liked to turn football games into basketball games. As good as this team can be, unfortunately anything can happen on the day as our game management is non-existent. 

Player ratings for what they’re worth — 

Wildsmith 5

Nelson 5
Bradley 5
Cashin 5

Ward 7
Smith 5
Hourihane 6
Forsyth 7

NML 7
Bird 4
Collins 4

Wilson 7
Elder 5
Washington 5
Thompson 6

So you thought Bird and Collins were worse than Bradley and Wildsmith?

I'm not proposing we string up anyone who made critical errors today, but really?

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Think this is the fascinating thing about football, we all see it so differently. 
I think we could easily have scored 4 on another day, three sitters. Collins 6 yards out unmarked, Bradley free header and Fozzy at the back stick from 5 yards.. easily could have had more on another day. 

I think the last time we really looked toothless like you’re describing was under Rooney where we seemed to be 0-0 at HT every game and zero SOT was a regular occurrence. 

We’re a bit of quality away from cracking it IMO. 

It is interesting how people see it so differently. I think the fact Forsyth was seemingly our most dangerous player speaks for itself. Not sure where Collins was six yards out unmarked for a shot? 

43 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

You cannot, repeat cannot, legislate for your marquee cb signing and 2nd place in last seasons POTY making those two mistakes. They let their team mates down today. 

Frequent high profile individual errors have been a feature of Derby teams across multiple squads and multiple managers now.

I genuinely have no idea how it keeps happening.

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

It is interesting how people see it so differently. I think the fact Forsyth was seemingly our most dangerous player speaks for itself. Not sure where Collins was six yards out unmarked for a shot? 

First 10 minutes probably more like 8 yards out, but fluffed his lines either way.

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

First 10 minutes probably more like 8 yards out, but fluffed his lines either way.

Was more like 12 yards or so i think as I was about level with the chance when he had it. He did fluff his lines, couldn't get his feet sorted quick enough from the look of it.

Edited by Leeds Ram

3 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Collins had to score at 0-0 about 8 minutes in where he tamely hit a shot towards goal 12 yards out , that's why we need to sign a decent striker if we want to do anything this season

The ball was behind him, he just couldn’t get any power on it. It was on target but Tickle, who had a great game, “tickled it” round the post. I can’t see that you can fault Collins for that anymore than other chances that were close, but not just not good enough from a clinical finishing POV. 

Too much of our passing everywhere was slack today - a yard forward, back, too long, just not quick enough or precise enough. 

32 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Especially with the game Warne insists on playing. You can't play that type of football with a squad of 19 who have the oldest average age in the division. 

This. I said it last season and it's true. You also can't play a pressing game with slow centre backs and slow to average CMs. You either leave space in CM or space behind you, you can't cover.  

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

First game with a squad he's built. It's pretty customary to give the manager a chance. Try it for once. 

So it’s impossible to do a good job with players you didn’t bring in? We should just ignore last season? I know Warne is like your dad, but come on, that’s b*******.

FWIW, I’m not calling for his head, that would be stupid at this time of the season (though imo he should’ve gone at the end of last season). But concerns about the continuing tactical suicide are not without basis.

4 minutes ago, jono said:

The ball was behind him, he just couldn’t get any power on it. It was on target but Tickle, who had a great game, “tickled it” round the post. I can’t see that you can fault Collins for that anymore than other chances that were close, but not just not good enough from a clinical finishing POV. 

Too much of our passing everywhere was slack today - a yard forward, back, too long, just not quick enough or precise enough. 

I guess we just didn’t test Tickle enough.

IMG_1487.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

So it’s impossible to do a good job with players you didn’t bring in? We should just ignore last season? I know Warne is like your dad, but come on, that’s b*******.

FWIW, I’m not calling for his head, that would be stupid at this time of the season (though imo he should’ve gone at the end of last season). But concerns about the continuing tactical suicide are not without basis.

Last season is gone. He did alright, not amazingly. History. He's now signed some players and shaped his squad, if we're still playing like we did today in 10 games time, fair enough. 

Let's be fair though, even if we sacked Warne and brought someone new in tomorrow you'd be on their back if we lost next week.

I am thinking back to the quality of opposition last season. At home, only Ipswich looked a class above. Everyone else we have a run for their money win or lose. 

Today, Wigan were a good side, not as good as Ipswich,  but well ordered with good hungry players. To get promoted you have to beat good sides (especially at home) but it was first game of the season and first outing for an uncompromised Warne style.  I am a bit down but there are days like this. I haven’t an ounce of doubt that it will get better. 

in a weird sense I am more worried about mid field than I am about strikers. 

2 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Very good - the derby fan running about taking pictures on phone

The fat lad?  It's ok, I can say that, cos he was!

Yeah saw him as I sauntered down the steps.  I remember thinking "Who is that fat lad on the pitch, what is he up to, and why the eff is no one bundling/rolling him off"!

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Last season is gone. He did alright, not amazingly. History. He's now signed some players and shaped his squad, if we're still playing like we did today in 10 games time, fair enough. 

Let's be fair though, even if we sacked Warne and brought someone new in tomorrow you'd be on their back if we lost next week.

Last season is not history, it’s still very much relevant in terms of judging a manager. And it wasn’t good enough. People have a right to be concerned that certain themes are continuing - lack of control in midfield, exposure to counter attacks, overemphasis on crossing early etc.

I support any manager I think is right for the job. Unfortunately, not many of them have been since McClaren. Warne certainly isn’t.