Joe Ward - joined on a 3 year deal

nogbad van 50

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

And how do you know that? You spoken to him or something? 

The point I’m making is I don’t know and neither do you. You can see it either way based on the knowledge we have. My opinion is as valid as yours based on no evidence.

My opinion is he was offered a new deal, clearly there was competition for his signature, clearly from us so it would seem that posh wanted to keep him. Your initial concept was that he was rubbish because in your words he was released. You were of course wrong. As normal, negatively spinning everything derby related to fit a rubbish agenda.

4 minutes ago, jameso said:

Nice pigeonholing. 

Is it possible that there can be some nuance to this topic that doesn't boil down to whether you've nailed your colours to the mast and can't assess anything on the evidence because of a tribal loyalty either to Warne or against him?

As discussed, "their fans (who) seem to hate him" aren't all of their fans.

As also discussed (including in your "time will tell" comment), maybe we should give him (and Warne in the transfer market) a chance?

Who says I’m not giving him a chance? He may turn out to be excellent for us. Just saying I’m disappointed on paper and he wouldn’t be one I’d have signed. Be a pretty boring discussion if none of us have an opinion on the signing.

So whoscored, a site that people love to bang the drum of on here due to how highly it rates the Cash, has him as the second highest rated RWB from last season behind Wes Burns at Ipswich. He had a higher G+A output than Bali Mumba who was in team of the season. With Burns going up and Mumba going back to Norwich, we've statistically signed the best RWB still in the division from last season. Furthermore he was in the EFL team of the season when Peterborough were promoted in the 20/21.

This is an excellent signing. We've signed a high performing player with promotion experience in this division in a role that was a massive problem area for us. On a free too. I'm very surprised so many people lukewarm to cold about this.

Edited by lrm14

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

My opinion is he was offered a new deal, clearly there was competition for his signature, clearly from us so it would seem that posh wanted to keep him. Your initial concept was that he was rubbish because in your words he was released. You were of course wrong. As normal, negatively spinning everything derby related to fit a rubbish agenda.

There you go, attacking me again because I don’t share your views on Warne. You do realise it’s people like you who create the animosity in this place by not allowing others to share their views, not supposedly “negative” people like me.

I never said he was rubbish. I’ve barely seen him play. I said I’m concerned by the comments from fans of his previous club, and on paper it’s a bit of a disappointing signing. I also said I hope he proves my fears wrong and performs well for us. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Also, the only thing Derby County related Im negative about at the moment is Warne. I’m delighted with the way Clowes is running the club otherwise - bringing in a head of recruitment and new academy manager were two things I was really keen to see. I have full trust in him, unlike Mel Morris. Who conveniently I was right to doubt, despite your attacks on me for my views about him as well.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I meant more on the fans views front. It’s your opinion that their skewed by the playoff game.

I didn’t know he had been offered a deal. Point still remains though how much they fought to keep him, it may have been a poor offer in an attempt to keep him and sell him. Nobody knows Peterborough’s intentions.

That’s a pretty bold spin on it. They offered him a 3 year deal because they would’ve tried to sell him at a time where any club could just offer him a contract to sign him for free anyway?

Whatever the offers were, playing time, money etc, he’s rejected Posh for us. Same as NML and Wildsmith did last season with Wednesday.

We won’t know the circumstances around it, but Peterborough felt him worth keeping for another 3 years after already being there for 5 years, so he must be regarded fairly highly there by some people at least.

“The club have offered Joe Ward a new three-year contract and are awaiting a response from the long-serving player.”

https://www.theposh.com/news/posh-confirm-number-players-available-transfer

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

That’s a pretty bold spin on it. They offered him a 3 year deal because they would’ve tried to sell him at a time where any club could just offer him a contract to sign him for free anyway?

Whatever the offers were, playing time, money etc, he’s rejected Posh for us. Same as NML and Wildsmith did last season with Wednesday.

We won’t know the circumstances around it, but Peterborough felt him worth keeping for another 3 years after already being there for 5 years, so he must be regarded fairly highly there by some people at least.

“The club have offered Joe Ward a new three-year contract and are awaiting a response from the long-serving player.”

https://www.theposh.com/news/posh-confirm-number-players-available-transfer

Fair play, hadn’t seen they’d disclosed it as 3 year deal. Unusual for a club to do that, but their chairman is a bit of an oddball.

I retract my comment on him being released. Their fans concerns are still worrying though.

13 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

David McGoldrick.  Had several poor seasons and many thought him a dud.  Then he knocks it out the park.  

I think the difference there is, McGoldrick was always good at doing the stuff he did for us, he just wasn't always used in the right circumstances to get him doing it regularly at other clubs.  Whereas Ward is apparently not great at the stuff we actively want him doing (playing at wingback instead of winger, and crossing), according to the fans who've been watching him regularly for years.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair play, hadn’t seen they’d disclosed it as 3 year deal. Unusual for a club to do that, but their chairman is a bit of an oddball.

I retract my comment on him being released. Their fans concerns are still worrying though.

To be fair nearly every player at this level will have negative comments. Nobody at Wednesday was fussed about leaving Wildsmith, who never established himself there and he was one of our best players last season.

I think there’s a small pool of players within our reach, who are also good enough to compete at the top of L1, in positions like RWB.

Like you’ve said before, a lot of comments about what he is or isn’t good at is opinion. The facts are we’ve taken a key player from a promotion rival who offered him a 3-year-deal at the same time as they put half of their squad up for sale, including the league’s top scorer.

I think he’s a good signing for where we are at the moment. 3 years might be a bit long as I very much hope we progress as a club beyond his ceiling in that time.

Unlike some I’m not going to pretend I know anything about this chap. As always will judge him on what I see and not what he’s done elsewhere or what other fans perceptions are. 

It would still be reasonable to assume that he isn’t going to be world class and so I will manage my expectations based on the fact that he’s a a league 1 defender playing for a league 1 club. He isn’t going to hit every cross perfectly, he is going to make mistakes. As a wise man has already said on this thread - this is the type of player we’re going to be signing and not get too upset that he isn’t (necessarily) a top-top player.

As for deciding whether he’s a good signing simply based on whether you are a Warne fan or Warne critic, well… to be kind, suggest that that isn’t the best way to judge a signing. 

At least it makes the forum slightly more interesting for a day or two. 

Edited by LazloW

22 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Who says I’m not giving him a chance? He may turn out to be excellent for us. Just saying I’m disappointed on paper and he wouldn’t be one I’d have signed. Be a pretty boring discussion if none of us have an opinion on the signing.

If you think I'm criticising you for holding an opinion on the signing, let alone a different opinion from my own, then either I haven't made my point clearly enough or you haven't read it carefully enough.

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

To be fair nearly every player at this level will have negative comments. Nobody at Wednesday was fussed about leaving Wildsmith, who never established himself there and he was one of our best players last season.

I think there’s a small pool of players within our reach, who are also good enough to compete at the top of L1, in positions like RWB.

Like you’ve said before, a lot of comments about what he is or isn’t good at is opinion. The facts are we’ve taken a key player from a promotion rival who offered him a 3-year-deal at the same time as they put half of their squad up for sale, including the league’s top scorer.

I think he’s a good signing for where we are at the moment. 3 years might be a bit long as I very much hope we progress as a club beyond his ceiling in that time.

I agree on contract length, but that might have been necessary to secure the signature - especially if everyone else is offering him this (which, unusually, Posh have confirmed they did).

A free transfer is a boon - and if you think about it; we might reasonably expect to pay the same (1* transfer fee and two years wages or 3 years on free transfer).  Just get more bang for buck this way.

17 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think the difference there is, McGoldrick was always good at doing the stuff he did for us, he just wasn't always used in the right circumstances to get him doing it regularly at other clubs.  Whereas Ward is apparently not great at the stuff we actively want him doing (playing at wingback instead of winger, and crossing), according to the fans who've been watching him regularly for years.

The guy got 11 assists from right back so I couldn't give a monkeys toss what bitter posh fans are saying about his crossing!!!

8 minutes ago, jameso said:

If you think I'm criticising you for holding an opinion on the signing, let alone a different opinion from my own, then either I haven't made my point clearly enough or you haven't read it carefully enough.

You made the classic line of giving the player a chance, implying that someone who’s not enamoured by the signing won’t give him a chance. That’s not true.

I have to say that this announcement was very disappointing for me. I was hoping for a different Ward, the Wardrobe. 

However it is not often that I'm ITK but I can confirm that the Wardrobe is in fact coming home.........

........for Fozzys testimonial. 😉