Joe Ward - joined on a 3 year deal

nogbad van 50

Not exactly a great looking signing on paper. Released by Peterborough and their fans seems to hate him - and I do think fans views hold some credit, they watch players every week after all. Was hoping for better really.

That said, he appears to be a natural RWB so fills a massive hole in our side which has been present since Ebosele left last summer. He’s certainly better than our next best option there (Oduroh) in any case, so just hope he proves my initial fears about him wrong. Welcome to the club Joe!

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Not exactly a great looking signing on paper. Released by Peterborough and their fans seems to hate him - and I do think fans views hold some credit, they watch players every week after all. Was hoping for better really.

That said, he appears to be a natural RWB so fills a massive hole in our side which has been present since Ebosele left last summer. He’s certainly better than our next best option there (Oduroh) in any case, so just hope he proves my initial fears about him wrong. Welcome to the club Joe!

His contract ran out, they offered him a new deal which he rejected. He was not released. Their fans opinions are clouded due to the Wednesday game. 

18 minutes ago, Carnero said:

On paper it's a good signing and ticks all the boxes as a right wing back in a 3-5-2.

I'll judge his performances in a Derby shirt myself rather than rely on Posh fans, thanks. I've seen enough decent Derby players getting hammered by our own fans to not rely on other people's opinions.

Always remember this 👆

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

His contract ran out, they offered him a new deal which he rejected. He was not released. Their fans opinions are clouded due to the Wednesday game. 

You can choose to read into it either way. You take the glass half full approach as you’re a Warne fan, I take the glass half empty approach as a Warne critic.

Never going to agree, but only time will tell on his Derby career.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You can choose to read into it either way. You take the glass half full approach as you’re a Warne fan, I take the glass half empty approach as a Warne critic.

You can't really, the line that he was released was demonstrably wrong. Hence why I replied to you. That's not an opinion. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

You can't really, the line that he was released was demonstrably wrong. Hence why I replied to you. That's not an opinion. 

I meant more on the fans views front. It’s your opinion that their skewed by the playoff game.

I didn’t know he had been offered a deal. Point still remains though how much they fought to keep him, it may have been a poor offer in an attempt to keep him and sell him. Nobody knows Peterborough’s intentions.

Edited by Millenniumram

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I meant more on the fans views front. It’s your opinion that their skewed by the playoff game.

I didn’t know he had been offered a deal. Point still remains though how much they fought to keep him, it may have been a poor offer in an attempt to keep him and sell him.

Again, you're spinning it. He felt he wanted a chance elsewhere and rejected it. You've got no bloody clue what they offered him, you didn't even know he'd been offered a deal until just now. 

Edited by Andicis

It’s just a question of fitting in a role and much depends on what is going on around you.

Bradley Johnson came here off the back of his best goal scoring season and never reached the same heights.

Jamie Ward came here on a free as he couldn’t get in Sheffield United’s side and went on to be one of the best wide forwards in the Championship.

Just now, Andicis said:

Again, you're spinning it. He felt he wanted a chance elsewhere and rejected it. You've got no bloody clue what they offered him, you didn't even know he'd been offered a deal until just now. 

And how do you know that? You spoken to him or something? 

The point I’m making is I don’t know and neither do you. You can see it either way based on the knowledge we have. My opinion is as valid as yours based on no evidence.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Nice pigeonholing. 

Is it possible that there can be some nuance to this topic that doesn't boil down to whether you've nailed your colours to the mast and can't assess anything on the evidence because of a tribal loyalty either to Warne or against him?

As discussed, "their fans (who) seem to hate him" aren't all of their fans.

As also discussed (including in your "time will tell" comment), maybe we should give him (and Warne in the transfer market) a chance?

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

It’s just a question of fitting in a role and much depends on what is going on around you.

Bradley Johnson came here off the back of his best goal scoring season and never reached the same heights.

Jamie Ward came here on a free as he couldn’t get in Sheffield United’s side and went on to be one of the best wide forwards in the Championship.

David McGoldrick.  Had several poor seasons and many thought him a dud.  Then he knocks it out the park.  

We have to give the management and recruitment team the benefit of the doubt that they know the strategy and who they want. 

We are not going to be getting Messi, so we have to support the players signed.  Some will be a disappointment, others inspired.  

11 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Look at Cyrus Christie for us, deemed not good enough and not done bad since leaving us. I'll judge him on his performances for us.

And so will I but I do concur with the comments about his poor performance against us at London Road. In the first half we ran him ragged down our left hand side. He looked a real liability but in the second half when Ferguson went to a back three and he moved up to wide midfield, he was okay. See how he is with us. Could it be a sign that we are going more regularly with a back three?

At the end of the 2020-21 season he was named in the EFL League One Team of the season.

Edited by Brailsford Ram