Joe Ward - joined on a 3 year deal

nogbad van 50

Ward's played 200-odd games for Peterborough in 6 seasons so he seems injury-free, and he's their longest-serving player so he must be doing something right. They offered him a deal to stay, which is a good sign. The only worry is he's only got 1 season of Championship football, but he looks solid for L1.
No transfer fee, 27 years old, experienced at this level, in a position we desperately need to fill. I'm happy to have him!

He doesn't need to be Reece James, ffs, he just needs to be good enough to get us top 2.

13 minutes ago, Kernow said:

To be fair nearly every player at this level will have negative comments. Nobody at Wednesday was fussed about leaving Wildsmith, who never established himself there and he was one of our best players last season.

I think there’s a small pool of players within our reach, who are also good enough to compete at the top of L1, in positions like RWB.

Like you’ve said before, a lot of comments about what he is or isn’t good at is opinion. The facts are we’ve taken a key player from a promotion rival who offered him a 3-year-deal at the same time as they put half of their squad up for sale, including the league’s top scorer.

I think he’s a good signing for where we are at the moment. 3 years might be a bit long as I very much hope we progress as a club beyond his ceiling in that time.

True, but to be fair Wildsmith hadn’t played that much for Wednesday. This guy has made like 200 appearances for Peterborough, so you’d expect their fans to have seen what he’s capable of.

I don’t necessarily think he will fail, no one knows that but it’s not a signing I would have made. That’s my opinion. I feel like there should be players out there with a higher ceiling as you say, who would be willing to join us.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

True, but to be fair Wildsmith hadn’t played that much for Wednesday. This guy has made like 200 appearances for Peterborough, so you’d expect their fans to have seen what he’s capable of.

I don’t necessarily think he will fail, no one knows that but it’s not a signing I would have made. That’s my opinion. I feel like there should be players out there with a higher ceiling as you say, who would be willing to join us.

Who would you sign, then?

1 hour ago, enachops said:

My mates a big Posh fan, his thoughts:

He’ll infuriate the hell out of you. Doesn’t play well in the big games or in front of big crowds. A better winger than wing back. Scores the odd screamer.

A mixed bag. He has done well for Posh and is solid at this level. 

I have no idea about him…. But those are interesting comments seeing as PW in his recent interview specifically mentioned how he wants players who can not only perform in front of the smaller crowds but also in the big games ‘in front of 30,000 every week at Pride Park’….🤷‍♂️😳

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d have gone for Fankaty Dabo, based on his experience at a higher level.

Thank you.  That does seem a reasonable answer, but there appears criticism of him on the other thread. 

What would be a shame is too much hindsight - either might be/might have been good signings, but we do not know yet.  Unless we are signing duds from League Two, or going for an "out there" signing, going for players in our sphere seems hard to criticise at this stage.

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Forsyth has played 200,000 games in his 150 years with us. According to many he should have been sent to the neatest knacker's yard years ago.

He sounds like the ultimate poster-boy for pre-Derby Warneball to me.

Get the ball into the wide areas with as few passes as possible, hammer in the crosses early and often, don't worry about the bad ones (even if they are many) just work hard, pick yourself up, dust yourself down and put in another, and another until one bears fruit. You'll soon rack up the assists even if it's through brute force and determination.

No doubt someone will try to twist that as a negative comment, but it isn't.

We could use a bit of that at times, and this player sounds like he'll be productive if we do -  just as long as it isn't the go-to tactic all the time. We'll need a variety of options and multiple ways of skinning cats as the season progresses.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Interesting. On face value he's a player who's averaged 40 games a season for Posh over the past 5 years, and bar the championship has weighed in with goals and assists throughout.

Is he an orthodox wing back, I don't know, he seems more of a winger/right sided utility man, but that combined with his consistent availability on match days can't be a bad thing.

3 year contract though, that doesn't say back up to me. Will expect him to get a good number of starts this season.

Remember though that priority right now is very much rebuilding and getting out of this division, and this guy can be a useful component in that on paper.

Will reserve judgement until he's here and had a run of games as is only fair, but I'm hopeful he can kick on and perform for us.

Still think Wes Harding will likely come in and that will offer some flexibility around those defensive roles.

Edited by Rample

19 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Forsyth has played 200,000 games in his 150 years with us. According to many he should have been sent to the neatest knacker's yard years ago.

Obviously that should read nearest, but at the same time I do think that Fozzy deserves a bit of luxury in his old age.