Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

Not at all convinced that this is a good bit of business. Jason is one of a smallish group we know are of Championship quality and I'd not have been judging his value to the squad, or potential suitors, exclusively on a poor run of games at the end of the season when nobody was was performing. To assume that's as good as he is strikes me as rash, as we could just as sensibly judge him on his run of games alongside Max, which had many of his current critics purring. His work ethic, level head and sheer determination will see him improve technically over time and I think we're moving on a player who is much better than some credit.

Equally, it's all very well to say his fee will cover wages and fees to strengthen the squad, but until the new guard have shown what they can do, it's guesswork as to whether we'll be better off. We may well be and for balance, I think this window shows a clearer vision than any in a fair old while, but it's hard for me to see us being stronger specifically as a result of this deal.

Likewise, I've seen other posts suggesting Bird and Sibley should go too, but I think midst the excitement of what appears to be a pretty considered rebuild, we'd best not launch the babies with the bathwater unless the fees offered are so generous that they render all other considerations moot. That's not the case with Jason, least not as far as I'm concerned. I do concede though, that without knowledge of what other targets we have yet to come in and the costs involved, Jason was the obvious (only) saleable asset for whom we would attract a vaguely sensible fee. Perhaps this is more critical than I suppose?

Ah well, it's all history now though, so with no small amount of regret, there's nothing left to do other than say thank you, Jason, for your hard work, spirit, loyalty and for being an all-round top, top lad. Hopefully we see you next season mate, but irrespective, I hope you go on to have a grand old career. I'd wager good money you will.*

OARAAR

*though maybe not at Bristol! 😋

Wish him all the luck and no disrespect to Bristol, but shame he’s not going to a team more likely to go up.

Getting similar vibes to when Will left, always thought he do that bit better, though I think Hughes is finally making  his mark and maybe Knighty will be similar in time.

Atb anyway, too good for league 1.

We will miss him in those games where he drove the team forward with his pressing and energy.

Say what you like about him needing more goals, or whatever, the one thing he guarantees is never letting the opposition rest and driving his teammates forward. His energy is infectious so unless we replace that with another player or they all bring it, it will be a miss. 

Good luck Knighty. Been a pleasure watching you play and grow here over your formative years. 

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not at all convinced that this is a good bit of business. Jason is one of a smallish group we know are of Championship quality and I'd not have been judging his value to the squad, or potential suitors, exclusively on a poor run of games at the end of the season when nobody was was performing. To assume that's as good as he is strikes me as rash, as we could just as sensibly judge him on his run of games alongside Max, which had many of his current critics purring. His work ethic, level head and sheer determination will see him improve technically over time and I think we're moving on a player who is much better than some credit.

Equally, it's all very well to say his fee will cover wages and fees to strengthen the squad, but until the new guard have shown what they can do, it's guesswork as to whether we'll be better off. We may well be and for balance, I think this window shows a clearer vision than any in a fair old while, but it's hard for me to see us being stronger specifically as a result of this deal.

Likewise, I've seen other posts suggesting Bird and Sibley should go too, but I think midst the excitement of what appears to be a pretty considered rebuild, we'd best not launch the babies with the bathwater unless the fees offered are so generous that they render all other considerations moot. That's not the case with Jason, least not as far as I'm concerned. I do concede though, that without knowledge of what other targets we have yet to come in and the costs involved, Jason was the obvious (only) saleable asset for whom we would attract a vaguely sensible fee. Perhaps this is more critical than I suppose?

Ah well, it's all history now though, so with no small amount of regret, there's nothing left to do other than say thank you, Jason, for your hard work, spirit, loyalty and for being an all-round top, top lad. Hopefully we see you next season mate, but irrespective, I hope you go on to have a grand old career. I'd wager good money you will.*

OARAAR

*though maybe not at Bristol! 😋

I think bringing in Bradley and Elder, a pacy forward probably on loan and hanging onto McGoldrick and Knight would have been a very good window. Roberts was never likely to be back as a free agent and a purple patch in the last 10 matches. Ward might be ok but based on Peterborough's comments he's a bit Malone.  Quality over quantity.

40 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Always that question.  What's your aim here.  One day someone will say 'I've come for the money to be honest' or ' We'll I've done a lot of running for 22 and I fancy an easy life for a bit piddling round in mid table with no expectation'

He’s signed for the team that paid what we wanted and presumably paid him what he wanted. No other (suitable) bids were ever tabled. It’s not like he could pick where he wanted to go.

For Knight, perhaps he would’ve been better waiting until the end of his deal and possibly having more options, maybe abroad. I think the teams who would’ve been willing to sign him for a tribunal fee came to the table this summer - only one of which made an offer. You have to assume that his wages aren’t going to be cheap which thins the pool of Championship clubs willing to come to the table too. 

It’s really a move that genuinely suits all parties. Knight gets a move back to a championship club where he should get a decent amount of games. It’s not a team with aspirations of promotion, but of course, none of those teams were even an option for him. 

24 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think bringing in Bradley and Elder, a pacy forward probably on loan and hanging onto McGoldrick and Knight would have been a very good window. Roberts was never likely to be back as a free agent and a purple patch in the last 10 matches. Ward might be ok but based on Peterborough's comments he's a bit Malone.  Quality over quantity.

Well to be fair, I think it's been a very good window anyway, at least thus far. Unlike most on here though, I've not seen an awful lot of some of the new recruits and very little at all of others, but there seems to be a very clear plan and my impression is that the players signed seem well suited to the roles required to execute it.

That said, like yourself, I'd have kept Knight, but I acknowledge that I may be overly sentimental / too cautious / greedy or all of those things in my assessment. Conversely, let's not forget that there's a lot of the window left and inevitably, the most sought after players will sign latest and the best loans won't be agreed until it's assured they won't be needed. Very hard to assess things properly, until we know the full roster and I feel certain that there will be a signing or two before the window closes to please even the most demanding of Rams fans, though patience and trust will be required on our part. 

As for Didzy, I think he'd have wanted to at least double his wages and a two year contract, but reading between the lines, I'm not sure he really wanted to put his body through another year of 50 games on top of Warne's arduous training regime. Had he gone anywhere other than Notts County though, I'd probably see it differently. 

As for Roberts and Ward, as it turns out, we were never going to secure the former's services, though I think he was planning to stay up to the advent of what seems to have been too good an offer to refuse. I'll ignore any carping from Posh fans over Ward though, as if their fans are anything like a lot of ours, a lot of criticism will be sour grapes and possibly a tad unfair. In the context of L1, he looks quite a decent prospect to me, so as I always tend to, I'll reserve judgement until he's had time to settle in and show us what he can do. 

Absolutely loved watching Knight play.

Guaranteed to put in 100% effort and covered the pitch with his running.

Also, his ability to draw a foul was something I have never seen done so well.  The number of times he relieved pressure by getting in front of a player and getting himself fouled was verging on comical.

I wish him all the best.

Sad to see him go, but it feels like the right time. He stayed around last season when he could have looked for a move, I’d like to think because he wanted to help us get straight back up, but he doesn’t want to spend another season in League 1. He’s been a credit to the club during his time here, all the best Jason.