Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

I think the value of Knight is only noticed when he isn't available. We are a significantly weaker team when he doesn't play.

Having said that, I think that the time is right to move him on and bring in a replacement that is chosen by Warne, to play the way Warne wants to play

20 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think the value of Knight is only noticed when he isn't available. We are a significantly weaker team when he doesn't play.

Having said that, I think that the time is right to move him on and bring in a replacement that is chosen by Warne, to play the way Warne wants to play

Disagree warn has said he likes they way jasion knight likes to play.

2 hours ago, Kinder said:

I want to believe this but I’m not sure I do. Bryson’s timing of runs and finishing that season were superb. I can’t say I’ve seen the same, even potential-wise, from Knight. We all know he’s got a great engine, but when will he start to use that towards assists and goals? I know playing him right back hasn’t helped.

You say this but look at pre-mcc Bryson compared with post-Mcc Bryson. I see lots of similarities but knight does have far more potential and a higher ceiling 

9 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You say this but look at pre-mcc Bryson compared with post-Mcc Bryson. I see lots of similarities but knight does have far more potential and a higher ceiling 

I’d love to see this but how do you get it out of him? Formation / position / team mates? Bryson linked up with Martin  numerous times, could you see Knight running beyond a no. 9?  I’m not sure he’s as intelligent a player but I hope he proves me wrong. I think if he was as good as we’d hoped, he’d have bossed league 1 last season.

I've just had a look on the Wyscout database for players who have played in CM/AM in League One this season and looked at a few parameters 

Successful defensive actions per 90 minutes - 7.44 - 107 out of 255. 
Defensive duels won - 64.41% - 60 out of 255
Successful attacking actions per 90 minutes - 2.91 - 56 out of 255.
Attacking duels won - 47.86 - 49 out of 255. 
Forward passes per 90 - 13.12 - 54 out of 255. 
Accurate Forward passes - 62.55 - 103 out of 255.
Shot Assists per 90 - 0.77 - 100 out of 255.
Smart passes per 90 - 0.33 - 112 out of 255. 
Passes into the final third - 7.05 - 45 out of 255. 
Progressive passes per 90 - 6.59 - 61 out of 255. 
Accurate progressive passes per 90 - 71.25 - 111 out of 255. 

It shows a fairly steady, balanced League One midfielder without context. With context, it shows an international player who struggled to really have an impact in the third tier of English football. 

When you compare it to his season in the Championship, it actually shows that he was able to take advantage of the drop in quality to have more of an impact but definitely not remotely close to what he should've done. 

Successful defensive actions per 90 minutes - 6.36 - 140 out of 236
Defensive duels won - 55.08% - 160 out of 236
Successful attacking actions per 90 minutes - 3.18 - 52 out of 236
Attacking duels won - 52.02 - 18 out of 236
Forward passes per 90 - 7.33 - 163 out of 236
Accurate Forward passes - 64.05 - 135 out of 236
Shot Assists per 90 - 0.58 - 121 out of 236
Smart passes per 90 - 0.45 - 124 out of 236
Passes into the final third - 3.42 - 155 out of 236
Progressive passes per 90 - 3.55 - 167 out of 236
Accurate progressive passes per 90 - 71.25 - 122 out of 236

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've just had a look on the Wyscout database for players who have played in CM/AM in League One this season and looked at a few parameters 

It shows a fairly steady, balanced League One midfielder without context. With context, it shows an international player who struggled to really have an impact in the third tier of English football. 

When you compare it to his season in the Championship, it actually shows that he was able to take advantage of the drop in quality to have more of an impact but definitely not remotely close to what he should've done. 

For me that shows… he’s not actually that good. Was very disappointed with him last season. And even more disappointed in him now as I can only imagine it was him who told Kenny something about a move. Hasn’t wanted to be here for a while in my view so he can take his leave.

Yes, like so many of our players last season he didn't quite perform as we felt they should have. You can include the likes of Barkhuisen, Bird, Sibs et al in that list...Good players on their day but not consistent enough atm. I feel with JK38 that his bag is packed...but maybe I'm wrong...

Needs to go and whilst the comments from the Ireland manager aren’t helpful, he’s only really stating the obvious. 

Don’t think we’ll get the fee we deserve but alas something is better than nothing.  

I like Knighty a lot but at the moment he’s not a match winner and that could still be a few years off yet. I wish him the best and hope we replace wisely.

Feels like a no-lose situation. I think he's got 2 years left on his contract. He's a grafter and played in his strongest position, is good enough. However, if we get a decent fee for him then we can strengthen the whole squad and likely benefit more overall.

I agree with the £1m-£2m valuation - feels about right (in terms of what we'd want, not necessary what someone else would pay!)

Definitely the time for him to go unfortunately. £2 million isn't a bad price. I gave him big credit for filling in at right back under LR. He is one of the hardest working footballers I've seen for a long time playing for us. 12 months on the contract. Wasn't a game changer last season when I thought he'd be one of the best players in the league, particularly when he was moved back into midfield.

Edited by SSD

I get (annd agree with )  so many of the well reasoned comments and stats that others have raised. He hasn’t been as influential as I thought he would be over a season. BUT ! If the chips are down there if there is one player in our squad that I would want, anywhere on the pitch, it is Jason Knight. He is a fighter of the first order and gutsy beyond measure. 

Great pity if he goes but if he does then we just carry on and hope the fee is useful. 

I think most on this stream seems to have the same opinion if truth be told,if we get a decent fee for him then yes let him go,to be honest i have never come away from the ground and thought Knight had been man of the match,a few steady performances yes but nothing special,yes he got selected in different positions but so did a few other players last season

You can also throw Sibley and Bird in the same bracket also,who ever got selected from the three i never saw to much creativity and certainly no were near enough of a goal threat for a midfielder

Wont be missed and neither will all of the academy players bar maybe cashin .If cashin had 6 yards more pace on him then finally in around 50 years we might have actually an academy product that deserves the mammoth amount of praise that gets heaped on most of our bang average youngsters ( yes esp Will sideways pass i cant score a goal hughes ) . 

Puts his tin hat on 

And nope this isnt a wind up post or a secret red in disguise .

Some of you fans get so worked up about any half witted youngster that can actually pass a ball he is instantly according to our fans worth 15 million and a god like player we cant lose .

Jason Knight is bang average so is Sibley  all of them are except cashin but he lacks pace to make him a real top class player .

We need now to start dealing and signing players as in my book we need quite a few not just 2 or 3 . Our midfield is terrible Hourihane is shocking and time for bird to go as well .

Edited by NottsRammy

1 minute ago, NottsRammy said:

Wont be missed and neither will all of the academy players bar maybe cashin .If cashin had 6 yards more pace on him then finally in around 50 years we might have actually an academy product that deserves the mamoth amount of praise that gets heaped on most of our bang average youngsters ( yes esp Will sideways pass i cant score a goal hughes ) . 

Puts his tin hat on 

Some of you fans get so worked up about any half witted youngster that can actually pass a ball he is instantly according to ur fans worth 15 million and a god like player we cant lose .

Jason Knight is bang average so is Sibley  all of them are except cashin but he lacks pace to make him a real top class player .

Hopefully with a Paul Warne preseason to help him he will be able to run those 6 extra yards at full speed and therefore justify the praise.

57 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Feels like a no-lose situation. I think he's got 2 years left on his contract. He's a grafter and played in his strongest position, is good enough. However, if we get a decent fee for him then we can strengthen the whole squad and likely benefit more overall.

I agree with the £1m-£2m valuation - feels about right (in terms of what we'd want, not necessary what someone else would pay!)

He has one year left, an option we activated earlier this season. If he doesn't go this summer for a decent fee he goes for next to nothing in January or actual nothing in the summer.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He has one year left, an option we activated earlier this season. If he doesn't go this summer for a decent fee he goes for next to nothing in January or actual nothing in the summer.

Unless he completely downs tools, which I very much doubt, he will never leave for nothing.

Makes me wonder what we would of got for him when burnley were interested years ago when he was scoring goals and looking really good. Hes been wasted at right back and on the wings. 

Edited by CodnorRam

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Perspective might show the steady deterioration in our playing staff. All around him ?

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Due to his age, if we offer him an improved offer next season and he turns it down, we will be entitled to compensation as he came through our academy. He won't go for nothing even if he stays for this season.

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Wont be missed and neither will all of the academy players bar maybe cashin .If cashin had 6 yards more pace on him then finally in around 50 years we might have actually an academy product that deserves the mammoth amount of praise that gets heaped on most of our bang average youngsters ( yes esp Will sideways pass i cant score a goal hughes ) . 

Puts his tin hat on 

Some of you fans get so worked up about any half witted youngster that can actually pass a ball he is instantly according to our fans worth 15 million and a god like player we cant lose .

We need now to start dealing and signing players as in my book we need quite a few not just 2 or 3 . Our midfield is terrible Hourihane is shocking and time for bird to go as well .

Don't quite agree with the strength of the argument but get where you're coming from. 

With regard to Hourihane; when I watch him live I'm generally 'meh' but his stats aren't bad but given his pedigree, you'd expect him to have tore up L1 wouldn't ya.

Agreed with Cashin - I really like him and if he can adapt his game a little to allow for his lack of pace, then he'll be pretty damned good. Again, another player with a big heart which is always a bonus.