Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

he’s 22 !

Sorry but 22 or not he’s not ready for anywhere near the PL. Why do we always have an over inflated opinion of our players. We just finished 7th in league one (division 3 in old money) most of them are not world beaters and we need to accept that. Warne needs a rebuild. 

26 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Sorry but 22 or not he’s not ready for anywhere near the PL. Why do we always have an over inflated opinion of our players. We just finished 7th in league one (division 3 in old money) most of them are not world beaters and we need to accept that. Warne needs a rebuild. 

Knight is a full international having played 17 times for his country at the age of 22, one of those caps includes an appearance against a very strong France side earlier this year in which he apparently didn’t look out of place. He might not be the finished product, and has suffered from circumstance by being bounced around by a few managers to fill various positions thanks to his versatility, but to suggest he is not ready for anywhere near the PL seems a bit off.
I’m not saying Knight is the best player in the world, however he has achieved a fair amount at the age of 22, a consistent run in a consistent position might help him, if he were to move clubs to play and train with better players week in week out he’d probably develop further.

Forget fan opinions of Knight, managers at club and international level clearly see something about him. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Knight is a full international having played 17 times for his country at the age of 22, one of those caps includes an appearance against a very strong France side earlier this year in which he apparently didn’t look out of place. He might not be the finished product, and has suffered from circumstance by being bounced around by a few managers to fill various positions thanks to his versatility, but to suggest he is not ready for anywhere near the PL seems a bit off.
I’m not saying Knight is the best player in the world, however he has achieved a fair amount at the age of 22, a consistent run in a consistent position might help him, if he were to move clubs to play and train with better players week in week out he’d probably develop further.

Forget fan opinions of Knight, managers at club and international level clearly see something about him. 

Would be happy to stand corrected … time will tell but at the moment I’m not convinced I’m afraid. 

12 minutes ago, JJH said:

We (Bristol City) have bid £1.5m for him.

Can’t see that gets him?

Would expect us to have to pay £2.5m.

I expect £1.5-2m would be what we would get in a tribunal next summer, but I'd imagine £2.5m upwards should be enough. 

It's best for all parties if he moves on to be fair, looks as good in League One as he does in the Championship which isn't really the best for us when we need our midfielders to have a more tangible output. Good player, high motor, high energy.. won't score or create many but cover every blade of grass and keep the ball. 

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We've had no offers apparently but he'll have offers further up the food chain in choice of options should we opt to sell.

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What’s your source for this? How reliable? 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I expect £1.5-2m would be what we would get in a tribunal next summer, but I'd imagine £2.5m upwards should be enough. 

It's best for all parties if he moves on to be fair, looks as good in League One as he does in the Championship which isn't really the best for us when we need our midfielders to have a more tangible output. Good player, high motor, high energy.. won't score or create many but cover every blade of grass and keep the ball. 

Apparently two Championship clubs are set to match our offer, so we’ll see. Depends who they are I suppose but Knight’s been training at our training ground all week so he’ll be familiar with what we have to offer.

My source is a bloke on our forum who’s nailed absolutely everything this summer. No idea who he is but he’s literally calling everything right. Understand why you’d dismiss it but honestly if he’s said it, it’ll be correct.

I’d be seriously excited if we manage to get Knight in. I had a look at your squad the other week and I was thinking I’d love us to be in for Roberts, Knights and Cashin this summer. Didn’t think we’d get 1, let alone potentially 2.

Anyway, might not happen but just wanted to gauge a consensus on whether that bid will be enough. As it’s our first bid I imagine it’ll be rejected anyway.

I would also add that if you're wanting to cut your wage bill then Jason Knight probably won't be the best - he signed his contract (along with Bird and Sibley) at the same time and we know Bogle was on £9k a week thanks to a court document. He signed after him and roughly around the same time we spent out on Bielik who got £30k a week - so I'd guess they're on £10-15k a week as it stands. 

I'd imagine his next deal is going to be a substantial one - so £1m plus a year looks likely. 

9 minutes ago, JJH said:

Apparently two Championship clubs are set to match our offer, so we’ll see. Depends who they are I suppose but Knight’s been training at our training ground all week so he’ll be familiar with what we have to offer.

My source is a bloke on our forum who’s nailed absolutely everything this summer. No idea who he is but he’s literally calling everything right. Understand why you’d dismiss it but honestly if he’s said it, it’ll be correct.

I’d be seriously excited if we manage to get Knight in. I had a look at your squad the other week and I was thinking I’d love us to be in for Roberts, Knights and Cashin this summer. Didn’t think we’d get 1, let alone potentially 2.

Anyway, might not happen but just wanted to gauge a consensus on whether that bid will be enough. As it’s our first bid I imagine it’ll be rejected anyway.

With all due respect I’d be disappointed if he ended up at you lot with Pearson managing him… I reckon £2m would be fair considering his contract length vs ability though. Lower premier league teams should definitely be taking a punt at that price imo.

3 hours ago, Gisby said:

whatever the reason he had a poor season last season. He was one of our strongest in the championship in 21/22. Of course much more likely he’ll play in the championship next season - and I did say he wouldn't be a starter in the PL 

13 minutes ago, JJH said:

How would any source know what other clubs would be willing to offer ?

VictoriousFlakyBeauceron-size_restricted

18 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I would also add that if you're wanting to cut your wage bill then Jason Knight probably won't be the best - he signed his contract (along with Bird and Sibley) at the same time and we know Bogle was on £9k a week thanks to a court document. He signed after him and roughly around the same time we spent out on Bielik who got £30k a week - so I'd guess they're on £10-15k a week as it stands. 

I'd imagine his next deal is going to be a substantial one - so £1m plus a year looks likely. 

We’re not looking to cut it mate, we’ve cut it massively with big earners like Kalas, Da Silva, Baker, Bentley etc all departing this year. That’s about £100k per week right there, so even if we have Knights £20k a week it wouldn’t be an issue. 

10 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

With all due respect I’d be disappointed if he ended up at you lot with Pearson managing him… I reckon £2m would be fair considering his contract length vs ability though. Lower premier league teams should definitely be taking a punt at that price imo.

Pearson only managed you lot for something like 13 games didn’t he? He’s not everyone’s cup of tea but he’s a pretty good man manager, Knight would enjoy playing under him I imagine. 

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

How would any source know what other clubs would be willing to offer ?

VictoriousFlakyBeauceron-size_restricted

I don’t know because I don’t know who the bloke is to say. If he’s a club employee and he’s been in touch with his agent (which is probably how he knows) then that’ll be how I imagine, but that’s pure speculation on my part.

28 minutes ago, JJH said:

Are the Irish squad in Bristol? Seems a bit odd 

EDIT - ignore this, just checked, they are indeed training in Bristol

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 hour ago, JJH said:

We (Bristol City) have bid £1.5m for him.

Can’t see that gets him?

Would expect us to have to pay £2.5m.

If there is some truth in this and the alleged interest and bids from other championship clubs I hope it plays to our favour and drives the price up. £2.5-3m would be excellent for us in this situation, not necessarily a fair reflection on Knight’s market value if we were higher up the football pyramid and he had a longer contract, but the reality is we’re in league one and he has a year to go. Throw in a sell on clause and we’re seeing a reasonable return for a talented young academy product.
He stood by the club during tough times and gave 100% effort in a rams shirt, even if his goals and assist record leaves a bit to be desired, lad needs to work on burying headers from a few yards out!
If he’s going I hope there’s a mini bidding war to drive the price up, then we reinvest a bit of that money in a couple of good players to help us strengthen towards our goal of promotion. Bank a couple of mill and sign a couple of £500k players. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Are the Irish squad in Bristol? Seems a bit odd 

EDIT - ignore this, just checked, they are indeed training in Bristol

No a training squad was assembled for fitness and to see some fringe players hosted in bristol a couple weeks ago, the actual Ireland squad have been training in Turkey in a hot weather training camp the past week and have now flown to Greece for Fridays game. But I think Knight did take part in the training camp hosted in Bristol.