Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

12 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You say this but look at pre-mcc Bryson compared with post-Mcc Bryson. I see lots of similarities but knight does have far more potential and a higher ceiling 

I’m pretty sure Bryson was a goal scoring midfielder under Clough as well wasnt he? In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Bryson scored a similar amount of goals at the start of the 13/14 season before mac1 even started than Jason knight has in his whole career. 

Going to be an interesting one with Knight in regards to what fee he’d demand. As a fan we’d probably would want more goal contributions and his stats could be a bit better, but he ended up having a bit of a ‘Rolls Royce’ season to me. He looked like a mature athlete and was often a class above with his positioning, touch and stamina. Also he was accomplished in quite a few positions. These are all things that scouts will be looking at over goals/assists and can imagine quite a few clubs thinking he’s worth a punt. 

I don’t expect him to stay and I don’t really think he should for his own career development overall,  but his next move is very important. It’s ok for the Ireland manager to think he should be in a better league, but if you move to the wrong club where you don’t quite fit in then he ends up in the Hendrick scenario. He’d lose his value internationally anyway if that was the case. I think he’s got limited options of where he can go and really help his development, and maybe he’s better seeing out this season with us? He can really dominate league 1 and he might finish the season where he could walk into another sides first team rather than maybe being in a position where you play an odd game then out for a few. 

Again I think he should go, probably, but it really has to be the right move and he won’t go somewhere to make up numbers.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He has one year left, an option we activated earlier this season. If he doesn't go this summer for a decent fee he goes for next to nothing in January or actual nothing in the summer.

It wouldn't be net to nothing, it would likely be between £1.5-2m at a very conservative guess. When we signed Steve Davies from Tranmere at the end of his deal, they got £750k upfront and ended up getting £1.5m overall (confirmed via his Undr the Cosh). 

He was there for three years, playing League One football and made 60 appearances. Knight would've been with us for 4-5 years by that point, will have made close to 200 appearances (most of which will have been in the Championship) and likely have 20+ international caps. The next contract he signs will likely be for £20k+ a week which I believe also plays a part with the tribunal. 

Criteria below - 

3  In making a determination as aforesaid, the Committee shall take into account the costs set out in Regulation 4 and any of the following criteria:

3.1  the status of each of the Transferor Club and the Transferee Club;

3.2  the age of the Player;

3.3  the Training Model(s) (as that term is defined in Youth Development Rule 1.77) on which the Player was engaged with the Transferor Club;

3.4  the amount of any fee paid by the Transferor Club upon acquiring the registration of the Player;

3.5  the length of time during which the Transferor Club held the registration of the Player;

3.6  the terms of the new contract offered to him by both the Transferor Club and the Transferee Club;

3.7  his playing record including any international appearances;

3.8  substantiated interest shown by other clubs in acquiring the registration of the Player.

4  The costs to be taken into account under Regulation 3 shall be:

4.1  any cost incurred by either Club in operating an Academy including (without limitation) the cost of providing for players attending thereat:

4.1.1  living accommodation;

4.1.2  training and playing facilities;

4.1.3  scouting, coaching, administrative and other staff;

4.1.4  education and welfare requirements;

4.1.5  playing and training strip and other clothing;

4.1.6  medical and first aid facilities;

4.1.7  friendly and competitive matches and overseas tours;

4.2  any other cost incurred by either Club directly or indirectly attributable to the training and development of players including any fee referred to in Regulation 3.4.

20 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

So we’ve all probably seen the article from the Ireland national manager saying that Knight is close to leaving. Figured it was time to open a thread for him. 

I don’t mind Knight going. I don’t mind international managers wanting their players playing at a higher level. 
I do think their gaffer has overstepped saying he’s close to moving. It isn’t his place to say, surely that belongs to Knight, Derby or the new club. 

anyway all the best Knighty.

Is Stephen Kenny Knights agent? If not then he can pipe down. And actually even if he is, Knight is under contract so he's not leaving unless we get an offer we can refuse and b4 can tell you what that is. 

14 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think the value of Knight is only noticed when he isn't available. We are a significantly weaker team when he doesn't play.

Having said that, I think that the time is right to move him on and bring in a replacement that is chosen by Warne, to play the way Warne wants to play

Warne stated the other day that he liked the look of Knight from the first time he saw him training. I think Knight is very much a Warne type of player based on an admittedly loose understanding of what that is.

I was expecting Knight - plus Sibley & Bird - to have a big impact in L1, and it rarely happened. Solid footballers but they disappointed overall, especially considering the quality of some of the opposition. I know Sibley and Knight often played as fullbacks but they only managed six league goals between the three of them!

Given the Knight contract situation, and the fact the squad needs 8-10 players, moving him on is the only option. Hopefully they can get £2m for Knight and the same again for Bielik, which would fund a load of free transfers.

7 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’m pretty sure Bryson was a goal scoring midfielder under Clough as well wasnt he? In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Bryson scored a similar amount of goals at the start of the 13/14 season before mac1 even started than Jason knight has in his whole career. 

Bryson scored 16 league goals in 13/14, 4 goals scored under Clough that season. His next best was 6 in 11/12 (3896 minutes)

Knight scored 6 league goals in his debut season in just 1808 minutes of football.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bryson scored 16 league goals in 13/14, 4 goals scored under Clough that season. His next best was 6 in 11/12 (3896 minutes)

Knight scored 6 league goals in his debut season in just 1808 minutes of football.

Bryson wasn’t Bryson under clough. Negative football and tactics. I can remember going to the Burton friendly and he was holding!
It was like he was released from the shackles when clough got the chop and mac started his football.

Cocu a bit similar football so that shows what a good breakthrough season it was for Knight in that CM role. Such a shame he’s been moved around and not been allowed to kick on in that role. That could be because of his versatility or the lack of quality from everyone else in the squad!
But ultimately it’s going to cost us when he don’t get what we could have got because we never used him correctly!

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It wouldn't be net to nothing, it would likely be between £1.5-2m at a very conservative guess. When we signed Steve Davies from Tranmere at the end of his deal, they got £750k upfront and ended up getting £1.5m overall (confirmed via his Undr the Cosh). 

He was there for three years, playing League One football and made 60 appearances. Knight would've been with us for 4-5 years by that point, will have made close to 200 appearances (most of which will have been in the Championship) and likely have 20+ international caps. The next contract he signs will likely be for £20k+ a week which I believe also plays a part with the tribunal. 

Criteria below - 

3  In making a determination as aforesaid, the Committee shall take into account the costs set out in Regulation 4 and any of the following criteria:

3.1  the status of each of the Transferor Club and the Transferee Club;

3.2  the age of the Player;

3.3  the Training Model(s) (as that term is defined in Youth Development Rule 1.77) on which the Player was engaged with the Transferor Club;

3.4  the amount of any fee paid by the Transferor Club upon acquiring the registration of the Player;

3.5  the length of time during which the Transferor Club held the registration of the Player;

3.6  the terms of the new contract offered to him by both the Transferor Club and the Transferee Club;

3.7  his playing record including any international appearances;

3.8  substantiated interest shown by other clubs in acquiring the registration of the Player.

4  The costs to be taken into account under Regulation 3 shall be:

4.1  any cost incurred by either Club in operating an Academy including (without limitation) the cost of providing for players attending thereat:

4.1.1  living accommodation;

4.1.2  training and playing facilities;

4.1.3  scouting, coaching, administrative and other staff;

4.1.4  education and welfare requirements;

4.1.5  playing and training strip and other clothing;

4.1.6  medical and first aid facilities;

4.1.7  friendly and competitive matches and overseas tours;

4.2  any other cost incurred by either Club directly or indirectly attributable to the training and development of players including any fee referred to in Regulation 3.4.

If £1.5-£2m would be the compensation we could receive then we’re in a really strong position here.

We can tell any club interested that they need to pay that plus a small premium to secure him now, otherwise we’re happy to run down his contract and they can wait a year by which point there could be a better offer on the table for Knight.

I’d personally love to keep him. I think many forget that he’s still only 22. He’s got 5 years or more before he could be at his best. He’s very consistent and you always know what you’re going to get from him.

38 minutes ago, Mckram said:

If £1.5-£2m would be the compensation we could receive then we’re in a really strong position here.

We can tell any club interested that they need to pay that plus a small premium to secure him now, otherwise we’re happy to run down his contract and they can wait a year by which point there could be a better offer on the table for Knight.

I’d personally love to keep him. I think many forget that he’s still only 22. He’s got 5 years or more before he could be at his best. He’s very consistent and you always know what you’re going to get from him.

Hopefully we are back in the championship next season - where we will need him ! 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Hopefully we are back in the championship next season - where we will need him ! 

If he stays and we get promoted with him next season, it would also help towards our tribunal fee - plus his wages would likely be more too. It all adds up. 

10 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Banged in a cracking hat-trick in a 5-1 at Millwall at the start  of the 13/14 season when Nigel was still manager.

20 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

He scored 6 in his first season, 5 in his second and 4 before Clough was sacked. He scored 2 in the Ipswich game then another 11 for the rest of the season. The following season he scored 5, then 3 in every season after until he left (including 3 in the season he went to Cardiff, 2 for them and 1 for us).

19 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I was expecting Knight - plus Sibley & Bird - to have a big impact in L1, and it rarely happened. Solid footballers but they disappointed overall, especially considering the quality of some of the opposition. I know Sibley and Knight often played as fullbacks but they only managed six league goals between the three of them!

Given the Knight contract situation, and the fact the squad needs 8-10 players, moving him on is the only option. Hopefully they can get £2m for Knight and the same again for Bielik, which would fund a load of free transfers.

people were talking about some of our players being able to play for mid table Premier League sides earlier in the aeason

they Are league one players no more, the fee will be reflected in that

On 04/06/2023 at 17:58, Rambalin said:

I am fed up with these international managers sticking their nose into club affairs that do not concern them. 

agree they shouldn't meddle in club affairs. but it’s hard to argue it doesn’t concern him. He is rightly concerned about what div his players are playing in. As was the Polish manager about KB 

On 06/06/2023 at 08:55, alram said:

people were talking about some of our players being able to play for mid table Premier League sides earlier in the season

knight is the only one and not mid table. He's got a chance as a squad player at a struggling PL side. Bird is a better footballer to a purist but doesn't quite have the strength or athleticism to live at that level. Nor does Cashin. After that, no outfield player we have is close 

On 04/06/2023 at 17:58, Rambalin said:

I am fed up with these international managers sticking their nose into club affairs that do not concern them. 

If they feel the player should be playing at a higher level then keep it between the player and themselves,  it is not obviously affecting his performance levels or he would not select him. 

I hate international football in general.

Players are paid by a club.  They are given permission to have an occasional jolly to play at International Level. International football should not get to call the shots - they do not pay the bills.  

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

knight is the only one and not mid table. He's got a chance as a squad player at a struggling PL side. Bird is a better footballer to a purist but doesn't quite have the strength or athleticism to live at that level. Nor does Cashin. After that, no outfield player we have is close 

at his prime maybe, never in a million years currently that goes for all our players