Worse Derby Managers

ziggyram59

40 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

I'm still confident that if Schteeve hadn't mentally checked out with the Newcastle move, he'd have gotten us up and kept us there. We were looking like the real deal.

Oh come onnnn… we had Grant playing through injury, Dawkins off with bereavement, Whitbread, Bucko, Thorne, Mascarell, Eustace and Martin all missing the majority of the run in. There were niggles on top of that, Bent missed games, Russell missed games, Bryson missed a couple.

16 minutes ago, cannable said:

Oh come onnnn… we had Grant playing through injury, Dawkins off with bereavement, Whitbread, Bucko, Thorne, Mascarell, Eustace and Martin all missing the majority of the run in. There were niggles on top of that, Bent missed games, Russell missed games, Bryson missed a couple.

And Hughes I think too…we were left at times with Johnny as a lone striker. It wasn’t the case of 2 or 3 but more like 7 or 8 first team regulars missing

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

And Hughes I think too…we were left at times with Johnny as a lone striker. It wasn’t the case of 2 or 3 but more like 7 or 8 first team regulars missing

And Kwame Thomas as his cover…

36 minutes ago, cannable said:

Galling. Totally crippled our chances. Would never happen to anyone but us. Really fed up of seeing other teams prosper with everything falling into bloody place for them and offering up hardly any bloody hurdles while we continually either f*** ourselves over or get f***** over.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Galling. Totally crippled our chances. Would never happen to anyone but us. Really fed up of seeing other teams prosper with everything falling into bloody place for them and offering up hardly any bloody hurdles while we continually either f*** ourselves over or get f***** over.

Eight of Bournemouth’s starting eleven played over 40 games that season and Kermorgant and Pittman rotated so you can say nine.

It is not unfair to say that injuries crippled our run in.

So do me a favour, take your sarcasm and clear off, won’t you? Edit: upon a re-read, I can’t actually tell if that’s sarcasm or not 😂

Edited by cannable

On 26/05/2023 at 21:07, Brailsford Ram said:

Jewell got Bradford and Wigan promoted to the Premier League and they both stayed up. At Derby he inherited a poisoned chalice; Paddy Power had already paid out on bets for us to be relegated before the end of August. I have no time for Jewell and his contribution to Derby but he should have listened to David Moyes' advice and not taken the job because Derby won't win another game all season. Jewell inherited a pile of crap left by Billy and he was insane if he ever thought  he could turn it around; maybe he just came for the money but who could blame him? Billy built the worst team in history and when he left the position was irrecoverable; the manager who could have saved us from that position hasn't been born yet.

Agreed. Each team which Billy left behind were bereft if any hope whatsoever. It took us and Forest (twice) an age to recover. It was almost as though he only took a management job in order to get sacked. Ge most likely got more money from being sacked then he did for doing his job.

On 28/05/2023 at 15:59, ram59 said:

I seem to remember a turning point or what could have been one around xmas that season. The referees had already received the EFL memo and didn't treat us very kindly in 2 consecutive games. Right at the end of the Liverpool home game with us heading for a well earned point, we had a blatant free kick/penalty turned down on the edge of the box, only for Liverpool to go down the other end and win the game. Against, Newcastle away, we were also denied a clear penalty deep into injury time and ended up drawing the game. Potentially costing us 5 valuable points and the confidence to go on and get more results over the second half of the season.

Oi! Ram 59 - bashing refs us my job!

11 hours ago, cannable said:

Eight of Bournemouth’s starting eleven played over 40 games that season and Kermorgant and Pittman rotated so you can say nine.

It is not unfair to say that injuries crippled our run in.

So do me a favour, take your sarcasm and clear off, won’t you? Edit: upon a re-read, I can’t actually tell if that’s sarcasm or not 😂

Bit rude! Had you been on the bank holiday pop? 😉 (It just seems to wipe me out and send me to an early bed these days)

There was no sarcasm within the post, just a hint of bitterness and a few drops of resentment. 😪

I'm genuinely fed up of watching other teams getting a relatively obstacle-free run at it and having all the things they can't control fall in their favour while we get no end of s*** go against us at vital times. Teams who've escaped financial scrutiny / difficulties by being promoted at just the right time. All that sort of stuff.

That said I'm not daft enough not to recognise that we've harmed our own chances, with all the changes in style of manager, signing players at the top of their value etc - but even that doesn't seem to hinder some fluky gits  - and not everything is in the hands of the injury / refereeing gods.

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 26/05/2023 at 19:59, RadioactiveWaste said:

In my time actually following Derby so more or less post 2000:

Paul Jewell. By an absolute mile. Incomparable. Inexcusable that he wasn't given the metaphorical two bullets in the back of the head the second that season had concluded. No, they let him be just as bad in the championship until january just because we hadn't suffered enough.

Then a big old gap

Then Phil "none more orange" Brown - whilst I'll give him extenuating circumstances for what he had to work with from above, he was still very bad at beign our manager.

Nigel Pearson - I've softened on him since his brief time as Derby manager, but, he took a team that was just short of being a promotion team and made them into hopeless relegation fighters and his main belief appeared to be it was because they just weren't runnig around like ehadless chickens enough. I was over the moon he got papped.

John Gregory - had quite a good reputation when he came over from Villa. Was not very good. I think his inspriring team talks included "you got us into this you get us out of it <and huffing offf>"

Phillip Cocu - I almost feel bad about putting him on the list, I liked him but what he was trying to do wasn't going to work with the players he had or was likely to be able to work with and the football was usually pretty dull. Managed to arrive just as Mel's money ran out....

You almost got the clap from me for this (pun intended). A bit unfair to include Philip Cocu. I agree he was trying to play a system that didn't suit the players at his disposal. He was the right manager at the wrong time who was badly deceived by Mel Morris like the rest of us.

He was in my eyes a nice guy that if he'd been given time and the backing, would have suceeded. I suspect he walked away without what he was due so for that reason alone he doesn't deserve to even come close to appearing on this thread. 

19 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

You almost got the clap from me for this (pun intended). A bit unfair to include Philip Cocu. I agree he was trying to play a system that didn't suit the players at his disposal. He was the right manager at the wrong time who was badly deceived by Mel Morris like the rest of us.

He was in my eyes a nice guy that if he'd been given time and the backing, would have suceeded. I suspect he walked away without what he was due so for that reason alone he doesn't deserve to even come close to appearing on this thread. 

Yeah, he probably doesnt.

Best managers

Cloughie - Legend

McKay - Won the title.

Smith - Amazing entertaining football, only matched by Schteve since.

Mac - Amazing all out attacking team, great to watch.

Cox - Div 1 Champions, had financial backing though....

Burley - Flowing attacking football, scuppered in Play-offs with key players injured.  Alledged off pitch activities saw and end to his reign, or he would of delivered PL football in my view.

Worst

Docherty - Destroyed a Title winning team.

Jewell - Clueless the players failt every week.

Pearson - Piss poor leader

Cocu Never adapted to Championship football....

Davies- Horrible man, remember his we'll see when we won playoffs, when stated a PL manager.  Followed by his, we will go many games without a win, not forgetting wasting £3m, signing Bambi on Ice.  The worst centre half ever to wear a Derby shirt, yes worse than Keogh!

Let's hope Warney makes the top 3 in years to come... 👍

Edited by RAM1966

On 31/05/2023 at 10:22, RAM1966 said:

Best managers

Cloughie - Legend

McKay - Won the title.

Smith - Amazing entertaining football, only matched by Schteve since.

Mac - Amazing all out attacking team, great to watch.

Cox - Div 1 Champions, had financial backing though....

Burley - Flowing attacking football, scuppered in Play-offs with key players injured.  Alledged off pitch activities saw and end to his reign, or he would of delivered PL football in my view.

Worst

Docherty - Destroyed a Title winning team.

Jewell - Clueless the players failt every week.

Pearson - Piss poor leader

Cocu Never adapted to Championship football....

Davies- Horrible man, remember his we'll see when we won playoffs, when stated a PL manager.  Followed by his, we will go many games without a win, not forgetting wasting £3m, signing Bambi on Ice.  The worst centre half ever to wear a Derby shirt, yes worse than Keogh!

Let's hope Warney makes the top 3 in years to come... 👍

How can you put Steve Mac above Cox, who took us from the Third division to nearly qualifying for Europe 🤔

Folks putting poor old Cocu on the list is very harsh.

Came in midway through pre season at some ridiculous training camp in the USA. Mel blew all his money on Bielik before he came in. Then Rooney came in, forcing Cocu to play him every week, Wayne breathing down his neck for the managers job if he failed. The team building incident. COVID striking whilst we was on an upward turn of form for a potential play off push. Had some cracking home game results under his tenure. COVID killed the momentum dead.

Then Mel clearly wanted to bail out. Gave him no backing whatsoever. Rooney piled on the pounds in the summer and was a complete liability for him. 

He has to be one of the most unlucky manager in our history. And then he walked away with far less compo then he was due. A good egg in my book.