11 January 2008 – Andy Griffin – £300k, to Stoke City

11 January 2008 – Matt Oakley – £500k, to Leicester City

28 January 2008 – Jon Macken – £200k, to Barnsley

31 January 2008 – Bob Malcolm – contract terminated

31 January 2008 – Lewin Nyatanga – loan to Barnsley

29 February 2008 – Michael Johnson – loan to Notts County

2 April 2008 – Laurent Robert – free transfer to Toronto FC

JoyfulRemarkableBillygoat-size_restricte

The title of this thread is ambiguous.  Is it inviting us to think of a "worse" manager than those listed (a relativistic judgement and matter of opinion, comparing one manager with another), or was the title a mistake and the intention was in fact to ask for who was the "worst" manager (in which case, only one name is needed to fulfil the request)?

"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first make mad".  And those whom they wish to make mad they first make managers.  As soon as any human being acquires power over others there will be problems.  Add to that the deadly cocktail of money, publicity and pressure to win that applies in football, and factor in the mostly under-educated nature of most footballers (with a few exceptions such as Roy Hodgson), and only those with either a huge ego or a vast inferiority complex or both would willingly step up.

I'm not sure if our history of eccentrics, egomaniacs, overachievers and underachievers is all that different from that of other clubs really, it's just that we know more about ours than about anyone else's.  Anyway, for what it's worth, here are my nominations.

Worst ever - Docherty, for all the reasons stated above.

Best ever - Cloughie, and you'll never be able to tell anyone of my generation any different.

Honourable mentions - Shteve Mac, Jim Smith & George Burley.

Dishonourable mentions - most of the rest for many different reasons.

15 minutes ago, LondonRam2 said:

The title of this thread is ambiguous.  Is it inviting us to think of a "worse" manager than those listed (a relativistic judgement and matter of opinion, comparing one manager with another), or was the title a mistake and the intention was in fact to ask for who was the "worst" manager (in which case, only one name is needed to fulfil the request)?

"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first make mad".  And those whom they wish to make mad they first make managers.  As soon as any human being acquires power over others there will be problems.  Add to that the deadly cocktail of money, publicity and pressure to win that applies in football, and factor in the mostly under-educated nature of most footballers (with a few exceptions such as Roy Hodgson), and only those with either a huge ego or a vast inferiority complex or both would willingly step up.

I'm not sure if our history of eccentrics, egomaniacs, overachievers and underachievers is all that different from that of other clubs really, it's just that we know more about ours than about anyone else's.  Anyway, for what it's worth, here are my nominations.

Worst ever - Docherty, for all the reasons stated above.

Best ever - Cloughie, and you'll never be able to tell anyone of my generation any different.

Honourable mentions - Shteve Mac, Jim Smith & George Burley.

Dishonourable mentions - most of the rest for many different reasons.

Think you have forgotten Arthur Cox 🤔

Jack Barker? Two seasons in charge and had us 17th in the Second Division and then relegated to the Third Division (North) for the first time in our history.

Tim Ward? Couldn't manage better than mid-table in the second division with a team that included Hector, Boulton, Durban and Webster.

15 minutes ago, strawhillram said:

Tommy Docherty . Dismantled a top team and brought in also rams. Deliberately tried to ruin the Rams 

With or without Docherty, the FA Cup defeat was the end of an era and I think we were on a downward trend then regardless….

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think you have forgotten Arthur Cox 🤔

And Dave Mackay who, after all, won us the top division.

And, no, it wasn't all Clough's team. The great man also said Mackay was not given enough credit.

Hard act to follow Clough and, especially, to cut through the turmoil at the club.

I wasn't happy at the time - I just wanted Clough back - but, now looking back, I think Mackay did an amazing job.

Edited by IslandExile

5 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Getting older in some ways fogs the memory uttox, I'll always remember Caskey and Moreland for when Liverpool beat us at home, Those 2 were shocking, Reading the link brought back the memory mode...wow, Then I read John Middleton our keeper who we took in exchange for Gemmill and gave them £25k...double bloody wow, Yep no doubt...Docherty was our worst manager by a country mile 👍

As for Hooliganism...well that's a different tale 😁

Not forgetting super David McKellar in goal who was sat down by a dummy by Ray Kennedy and made to look a complete bottom.....

23 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Felt Cocu was completely undermined by the bizarre arrival of Rooney, who he then had to play, so every game was effectively with 10 men. That's a pretty tough gig. It's impossible for the football not to have been dull with Rooney in the team, slowing everything down to walking pace. 

I also had the feeling that Rooney was working on the squad to make Cocu's place untenable so he could get the big chair to himself, a bit like Toddy did to Jim Smith.

I am surprised that there is barely a mention of John Newman, although there was nothing about him that is rememberable! The football he produced was incredibly dull IIRC, and he was even duller as a person.

My family ran a charity giving kids from broken homes a holiday they wouldn't otherwise get, and got Newman to open a Gala as a fund raising event. He was immaculately turned out in his sports blazer and trousers that were pressed using a steam roller, but all around him was an incredible personality vacuum. You could see people crossing over and walking away for fear that any life they had would be sucked out of them. Its probably no surprise that his football wasn't easy on the eye.

On 26/05/2023 at 08:51, Dethorn said:

1 Tommy Docherty

2 Tommy Docherty

3 Tommy Docherty

4 Tommy Docherty

5 Tommy Docherty

6 Tommy Docherty

7 Tommy Docherty

8 Tommy Docherty

9 Tommy Docherty

10 Tommy Docherty

Who was the idiot who sold Colin Todd?

Name escapes me!

Oh yeah!

The one….the only…

DOC!

3 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Sorry, yes, Honourable Mention to Arthur Cox - and also to Dave Mackay, put in an impossible position but carried himself with dignity and won a 1st Division title.

I think that they deserve more than honourable  mentions.

Dave Mackay walked into the club devasted by Clough's exit with players threatening to go on strike and took the job by the scruff of the neck and actually improved on what Clough had built, building a team, but for injury to George, which could have easily won the double, the year following winning the title.

Cox walked into a club at the depths of despair in our current league, not dissimilar to our position 12 months ago and within 3 years would have had us in Europe, if not for the ban on English clubs. Could you imagine, with the exception of B4,  us just missing out on champions league qualification in 3 years time?