Worse Derby Managers

ziggyram59

2 minutes ago, SSD said:

Folks putting poor old Cocu on the list is very harsh.

Came in midway through pre season at some ridiculous training camp in the USA. Mel blew all his money on Bielik before he came in. Then Rooney came in, forcing Cocu to play him every week, Wayne breathing down his neck for the managers job if he failed. The team building incident. COVID striking whilst we was on an upward turn of form for a potential play off push. Had some cracking home game results under his tenure. COVID killed the momentum dead.

Then Mel clearly wanted to bail out. Gave him no backing whatsoever. Rooney piled on the pounds in the summer and was a complete liability for him. 

He has to be one of the most unlucky manager in our history. And then he walked away with far less compo then he was due. A good egg in my book.

A decent man 🙂

2 hours ago, SSD said:

Folks putting poor old Cocu on the list is very harsh.

Came in midway through pre season at some ridiculous training camp in the USA. Mel blew all his money on Bielik before he came in. Then Rooney came in, forcing Cocu to play him every week, Wayne breathing down his neck for the managers job if he failed. The team building incident. COVID striking whilst we was on an upward turn of form for a potential play off push. Had some cracking home game results under his tenure. COVID killed the momentum dead.

Then Mel clearly wanted to bail out. Gave him no backing whatsoever. Rooney piled on the pounds in the summer and was a complete liability for him. 

He has to be one of the most unlucky manager in our history. And then he walked away with far less compo then he was due. A good egg in my book.

Playing out from the back when his team was not capable of doing so was his downfall and cost us dearly game after game.  Good managers adapt and are not one trick ponies............. 

10 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

Playing out from the back when his team was not capable of doing so was his downfall and cost us dearly game after game.  Good managers adapt and are not one trick ponies............. 

We played out from the back the year before under Lampard with similar players. The booze up ruined it and Keogh injuring himself meant we had to change everything. I agree with others, he was the most unlucky manager in my time watching us (35 years). A decent man who with a bit of luck would’ve done well. 

2 minutes ago, enachops said:

We played out from the back the year before under Lampard with similar players. The booze up ruined it and Keogh injuring himself meant we had to change everything. I agree with others, he was the most unlucky manager in my time watching us (35 years). A decent man who with a bit of luck would’ve done well. 

Yeap. The Forest disallowed winner would have been given in most cases. Rooney of all people fluffed his big chance against Watford. Very dodgy offside against Preston? Sibley injured after game 3 who was a key player. Marriott as the only striker and he was fecked. And let's not forget all the rumours about Rooney sounding out his own coaching team! 

May be in the minority but Lampard did more damage to this club than Cocu ever did by some way. And I don't believe Lampard should on a worse Derby manager list.

On 30/05/2023 at 19:12, Turnstile said:

Newman ,Addison,Murphy,Jewell,Brown ,Coccu,Clement.

If you can remember Murphy you’re old enough to remember Docherty surely he’s got to be in there 

My worse 5

Docherty

Murphy

Newman

Taylor

Jewell

cant believe I’ve left out Brown,Gregory,Pearson. We’ve certainly had more poor managers than good ones since I started going as a 6 year old in 1971 I thought it was normal to be competing for the league title every year. All my kids have known is abject misery following the rams 

On 29/05/2023 at 13:36, abertawe_ram said:

Dusan Svento was the winger I believe, it's odd the things that stick in the back of your head somewhere. Around that time as a teenager I used to follow the old BBC 606 forum and that was one of the main transfer stories over that "exciting" summer post-Wembley. Jones, Nugent and Koumas were the other names I remember being touted around a lot

Wiki: During summer 2007, Švento went to an English club Derby County for a trial and to take a look at the club's facilities. More English based clubs were interested. However, this interest ended as he damaged his knee ligaments after returning to Prague. He underwent surgery and was out for almost a year.