Worse Derby Managers

ziggyram59

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Chelsea at home as well.  Robbed in that one.  

By the time of Jewells double training sessions and stellar January of flogging two midfielders who kept us competitive but losing by the odd goal and replacing them with players last had a good game in the 90's, it was appalling.

It was flogging Oakley and Jones that told me he didn't have the foggiest. Oakley had probably been out best player and had proven Prem quality, and Jones could be frustrating but had a real touch of class about him. We spent the cash on a headless chicken who the fans openly (and rightly) despised. Clueless.

On 26/05/2023 at 12:21, ziggyram59 said:

Davies was a terrible manager just moaned and moaned was always stirring trouble and he bought Claude Davies, Eddie Lewis, Robert Earnshaw say no more. 

Actually, BD didn't buy Earnmore. Fans were up in arms at the lack of inward movement of players and the board decided they had to do something so they went out and bought Earnmore for £3M. BD was livid at the board going behind his back and, basically, infringing on his turf. That was the reason BD was so reluctant to give the lad game time.

22 hours ago, ram59 said:

I think that they deserve more than honourable  mentions.

Dave Mackay walked into the club devasted by Clough's exit with players threatening to go on strike and took the job by the scruff of the neck and actually improved on what Clough had built, building a team, but for injury to George, which could have easily won the double, the year following winning the title.

Cox walked into a club at the depths of despair in our current league, not dissimilar to our position 12 months ago and within 3 years would have had us in Europe, if not for the ban on English clubs. Could you imagine, with the exception of B4,  us just missing out on champions league qualification in 3 years time?

Fair enough, I suppose if we are picking "the best" and "the worst" there will also be differences of opinion around the places below "the best".  For the record, for me it's

Still Cloughie

Dave Mackay

Arthur Cox

Shteve Mac

George Burley

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Actually, BD didn't buy Earnmore. Fans were up in arms at the lack of inward movement of players and the board decided they had to do something so they went out and bought Earnmore for £3M. BD was livid at the board going behind his back and, basically, infringing on his turf. That was the reason BD was so reluctant to give the lad game time.

If Davies didn't rate Earnshaw so much why did he buy him for Forest? Where he was quite successfully for them. 

5 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

If Davies didn't rate Earnshaw so much why did he buy him for Forest? Where he was quite successfully for them. 

I didn't say he didn't rate Earnshaw. I wrote that he didn't buy him. I wrote that the board bought him behind his back. I wrote that THAT was the reason he didn't give Earnshaw more game time. He was fit, BD simply left him out of the starting XI a lot because he was pissed off with the board going behind his back.

On 26/05/2023 at 22:41, Brailsford Ram said:

Jewell was allowed to spend £3.5m but brought in £2.25m in trying to retrieve the hopeless situation. Davies had spent £11.5 m bringing in Earnshaw, Claude Davis, Mears, Todd, Feilhaber and Miller. He recouped £350k by selling Ryan Smith and Lee Camp.

Here are all of the transactions. It tells a sorry tale but how you can seek to defend Davies and lay it at Jewell's door is beyond me.

Summer 2007 transfer window (Davies)

In

29 June 2007 – Robert Earnshaw – £3.5m, from Norwich City

4 July 2007 – Tyrone Mears – £1m, from West Ham United

7 July 2007 – Andy Todd – £750k, from Blackburn Rovers

10 July 2007 – Ben Hinchliffe – free transfer

25 July 2007 – Claude Davis – £3m, from Sheffield United

26 July 2007 – Lewis Price – undisclosed, from Ipswich Town

1 August 2007 – Andy Griffin – free transfer from Portsmouth

10 August 2007 – Benny Feilhaber – undisclosed, from Hamburg

20 August 2007 – Eddie Lewis – undisclosed, from Leeds United

31 August 2007 – Kenny Miller – £2.25m, from Celtic

Out

31 May 2007 – Seth Johnson – retirement

31 May 2007 – Lionel Ainsworth – released

31 May 2007 – Morten Bisgaard – released

31 May 2007 – Paul Boertien – released

31 May 2007 – Steven Cann – released

31 May 2007 – Tom Cumberworth – released

31 May 2007 – Lee Grant – released

5 July 2007 – Ryan Smith – £150k, to Millwall

27 July 2007 – Lee Camp – £200k, to Queens Park Rangers

31 July 2007 – James Meredith – free transfer to Sligo Rovers

8 August 2007 – Richard Jackson – free transfer to Luton Town

January 2008 transfer window (Jewell)

In

4 January 2008 – Danny Mills – on loan from Manchester City

4 January 2008 – Emanuel Villa – £2m, from Estudiantes Tecos

9 January 2008 – Laurent Robert – free transfer

9 January 2008 – Robbie Savage – £1.5m, from Blackburn Rovers

11 January 2008 – Hossam Ghaly – on loan from Tottenham Hotspur

31 January 2008 – Roy Carroll – free transfer from Rangers

31 January 2008 – Mile Sterjovski – undisclosed, from Gençlerbirliği

31 January 2008 – Alan Stubbs – free transfer from Everton

11 April 2008 – Ruben Zadkovich – free transfer from Sydney 

Out

3 January 2008 – Steve Howard – £1.25m, to Leicester City

11 January 2008 – Andy Griffin – £300k, to Stoke City

11 January 2008 – Matt Oakley – £500k, to Leicester City

28 January 2008 – Jon Macken – £200k, to Barnsley

31 January 2008 – Bob Malcolm – contract terminated

31 January 2008 – Lewin Nyatanga – loan to Barnsley

29 February 2008 – Michael Johnson – loan to Notts County

2 April 2008 – Laurent Robert – free transfer to Toronto FC

That is a shocking list of players signed by both managers.  When you look back now it almost seems a miracle we got to 11 points.  I remember when I heard we signed Eddie Lewis, a 33 year old from the 3rd tier.  FFS!!  Why??!!  I gives me nightmares now.

The relationship between Billy and the Board was already starting to fall apart and you could imagine him being so bloody-minded to sign some of these players just to prove a point.  And then shrug his shoulders and say “well what did you expect”.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

That is a shocking list of players signed by both managers.  When you look back now it almost seems a miracle we got to 11 points.  I remember when I heard we signed Eddie Lewis, a 33 year old from the 3rd tier.  FFS!!  Why??!!  I gives me nightmares now.

The relationship between Billy and the Board was already starting to fall apart and you could imagine him being so bloody-minded to sign some of these players just to prove a point.  And then shrug his shoulders and say “well what did you expect”.

Lewis was at least third choice for a signing, we'd been after some guy that was from/went to? Sparta Prague. Just like we were after better strikers like Jones. The Board weren't wanting to spend and players could see that and were reluctant to join a club doing not vaguely enough to be competitive.

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lewis was at least third choice for a signing, we'd been after some guy that was from/went to? Sparta Prague. Just like we were after better strikers like Jones. The Board weren't wanting to spend and players could see that and were reluctant to join a club doing not vaguely enough to be competitive.

I don't know if this is the winger you mean, but it did remind me of another name we nearly signed until the move fell through because of an injury.. Mika Vayrynen from PSV Eindhoven.

19 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I don't know if this is the winger you mean, but it did remind me of another name we nearly signed until the move fell through because of an injury.. Mika Vayrynen from PSV Eindhoven.

Don't think so. Could have been Slavia Prague? Only vaguely remember because we visited the Czech Republic in the late 90s.

Dusan Svento was the winger I believe, it's odd the things that stick in the back of your head somewhere. Around that time as a teenager I used to follow the old BBC 606 forum and that was one of the main transfer stories over that "exciting" summer post-Wembley. Jones, Nugent and Koumas were the other names I remember being touted around a lot

On 26/05/2023 at 08:51, Dethorn said:

1 Tommy Docherty

2 Tommy Docherty

3 Tommy Docherty

4 Tommy Docherty

5 Tommy Docherty

6 Tommy Docherty

7 Tommy Docherty

8 Tommy Docherty

9 Tommy Docherty

10 Tommy Docherty

Archie Gemmill  swap for John Middleton and Steve carter .  Double swoop for Vic Moreland and Billy Caskey . Said the Forest game would be like a five a side compared to Manchester Derby.  Then came back as QPR manager with that t*** Gordon Hill knocked us out of cup and did a jig on BBG fat little tur*.   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . got over it now, only get a few tics and jerks when his name is mentioned

4 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

Dusan Svento was the winger I believe, it's odd the things that stick in the back of your head somewhere. Around that time as a teenager I used to follow the old BBC 606 forum and that was one of the main transfer stories over that "exciting" summer post-Wembley. Jones, Nugent and Koumas were the other names I remember being touted around a lot

Bingo!

image.thumb.png.6aeba415d5f3967c4a52ae36ee25c9d3.png

7 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Agree Davies was definitely stubborn and definitely didn't help himself. And Claude Davis was clearly one he wanted, and that was a disaster.

But as others have said, most of the players we signed clearly weren't Davies' preferred targets. He didn't really play Earnshaw once he arrived, and we were all mystified as to why. Eddie Lewis smacked of the kind of name who was about 10th on a list of alternatives. Yet he was the one we got. 

If we did indeed spent £11m that summer then I repeat: that wasn't a lot of money even at that time, and nothing like what was required.

Edited by vonwright

8 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Fair enough, I suppose if we are picking "the best" and "the worst" there will also be differences of opinion around the places below "the best".  For the record, for me it's

Still Cloughie

Dave Mackay

Arthur Cox

Shteve Mac

George Burley

What about the BE?

8 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Still Cloughie

Dave Mackay

Arthur Cox

Shteve Mac

George Burley

I would go:

Old Big ‘Ed

Dave Mackay

Arthur Cox

The Bald Eagle

Billy Davies

Steve Mac

George Burley

26 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

I'm still confident that if Schteeve hadn't mentally checked out with the Newcastle move, he'd have gotten us up and kept us there. We were looking like the real deal.

It was all of the injuries not the Newcastle link that did us…but been over this a thousand times.