Best Individual Derby Performance You’ve Ever Seen

cannable

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

What it says on the tin, I’ll have to have a think about mine. Thorne at Wembley (despite losing) has to be up there. Hughes against Hull as well. I need a think.

The Tin Man in the 3-1 away win at Spuds in 88 or 89. My favourite ever away match. He scored 2 and was totally unplayable 😁

He was injured, but we'd used our sub already, so my vote goes to Alan Biley, for sort of hobbling around for the last 20 minutes*, whilst simultaneously pointing a bit, and taking receipt of the odd short pass in space, before tentatively redirecting the ball to a fellow white shirt with working legs.

What a guy!

*I've no idea how long he hobbled around for, so I made that bit up for effect.   

50 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

Kevin Hector's home debut vs Huddersfield. He was fantastic and although Alan Durban got a hattrick and Derby won 4-3, all the talk was about 'Zac', the King.

I can honestly say, "I was there".

I will second that. I was standing behind the Normanton End goal and in my mind's eye I can still see him racing with the ball towards the goal at the speed of light. I'm talking relatively. No pun intended.  Relative to players like Durban and Buxton. They were both quite skilful but to call them a bit slow is an understatement. Most defenders could give them a 20 yard start and still catch them. Hector was a totally new type of player. I'd never seen a Derby player run so fast with the ball under his control.

For me that Huddersfield game was the big bang in Derby's great success over the next decade.

24 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Reich against Crewe.  Even Brian Clough in residence that evening reckoned it was the best debut he'd seen.  Gary Charles as attacking full back before it was a thing against Sunderland opening day.  Tore them a new arse in a 5-0

I read that as Raich and thought how old is this bloke to have seen his debut.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Reich against Crewe.  Even Brian Clough in residence that evening reckoned it was the best debut he'd seen.  Gary Charles as attacking full back before it was a thing against Sunderland opening day.  Tore them a new arse in a 5-0

Remember the Gary Charles one well thought we were going to walk the league that season I  got that wrong!!

I seem to remember Connor Salmon (dont laugh) beating up Peterborough? They had two people on him, subbed at least one of them and still couldnt handle him.

Struggling with some specifics but definitely remember some players having truly great performances.

There were a few instances of Taribo (we're on a mission from God) West being a one man defence, and me going home claiming that one man will keep us up.

Didnt see live but listened to, Trollope v Man U 96-97. He walked (usually within 3ft of Cantona) so Wanchope, Sturridge et al could run that day.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

I seem to remember Connor Salmon (dont laugh) beating up Peterborough? They had two people on him, subbed at least one of them and still couldnt handle him.

Not laughing. There were times, admittedly few and far between, where Sammon displayed some exquisite skill and a great first touch.

The biggest problem he had was that somwhere along the neural path between his brain and his feet, there was usually a massive disconnect.

Edited by Kokosnuss