Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Just looked back at some of the posts leading up to the signing of 34 year old David McGoldrick last year. Comments such as "a 1 in 5 player" and "doesn’t score enough goals" goes to show how difficult it is to predict what will happen when the season gets underway.

A pacey striker would give us a different option in attack but if we don't get one in before the deadline closes, it may be premature, as a few posters are doing, to write off our chances with what we currently have.

If we stay as we are we've swapped McGoldrick for Washington. Different types of players. Not sure of Warnes thinking but I'm surprised we haven't secured a bit of pace up front. Waghorn and Sibley aren't the answer for me but who knows.... A bit worrying that we are very close to the seasons start and both Washington and Sibley haven't as yet played in a single pre-season match. 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I agree with that for sure. I'm not sure we need to fixate on a '25 goal a season' striker though as some fans (not aimed at you) seem to. It's obvious we aren't spending that sort of money so some fans are going to be feeling let down whoever we get in.

I agree with you, I think Warne has been given a budget that negates going into the red. That means compared with most we have a good budget. If clubs want to spend more than they earn they will bid for players that we cannot. Warne must balance his budget between blowing lots on a 15-20 goal striker (Didzys season was a one off, he never got close to 25 goals at his previous clubs). His other option is to be more pragmatic and use the funds for wages. As been said by him and loads of others, strikers cost and seem to be at a premium this year.

To be honest the striker situation is not my biggest concern, it the creator that we are missing, the one who on a bad day, with the bus parked and create a goal.  

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If we stay as we are we've swapped McGoldrick for Washington. Different types of players. Not sure of Warnes thinking but I'm surprised we haven't secured a bit of pace up front. Waghorn and Sibley aren't the answer for me but who knows.... A bit worrying that we are very close to the seasons start and both Washington and Sibley haven't as yet played in a single pre-season match. 

All very true and slightly frustrating from fans pov that we haven’t signed an all important Stella signing CF but saying that …if we go with what we have ( and can still add after season starts ) and we get off to a flyer and beat Wigan like we beat Stoke then we might be bouncing come next week 

momentum is important and if we get off to 3 points it might get the momentum rolling and who knows but yes a Ladapo or significant striker signing would be great but I still think we’ll be challenging for autos no matter what 

44 minutes ago, enachops said:

We had the 4th best defensive record in the league. Yes it was makeshift but we kept loads of clean sheets and generally were solid, despite the issues we faced with no right back etc. It went a bit south towards the end, but that was down to fitness. Over the season we didn’t concede many. Not doubting we’re stronger now though. 
We need to get out of this league this year. No excuses. Are we much stronger overall than the end of last year, marginally maybe. I expected more. That’s why these next couple of signings will be key to our success and not sure, if it’s Waghorn, that would be enough. As someone said earlier, if you’d offered Washington, Colin’s and Waghorn as our top 3 options at the start of the summer I can’t see many fans being delighted with that. 

4th best defence but still 32% worse than the best in the league.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I don’t think we should believe friendlies represent anything more than training.

I think we will struggle to break teams down based on our current personnel.

A lack of pace and trickery, combined with no obvious partner for Collins to find with crosses, could make us easy to defend against.

Agree. I think we will struggle to score many

11 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Yes but I’d rather sign the defender equivalent to Waggy and have a decent forward than the choice we’ve made. 

I’m not sat here spitting on Waggy’s grave. I’ve said as a 4th striker I’m happy for him to sign. But I personally think we should be seriously targeting the autos and that requires a decent frontline.

Who got a better frontline in this league ? It’s average everywhere if you ask me so it’s more about not letting goals in.

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I don’t think we should believe friendlies represent anything more than training.

I think we will struggle to break teams down based on our current personnel.

A lack of pace and trickery, combined with no obvious partner for Collins to find with crosses, could make us easy to defend against.

9 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Agree. I think we will struggle to score many

Disagree. This is of course just my opinion, but there are stats to back this up so it’s somewhat based on fact.

NML, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Sibley, Collins, Washington, Bird, Ward have all shown themselves capable of scoring goals at this level.

Ward, Wilson, Elder, Hourihane, NML, Barkhuizen, Sibley, Bird have all shown themselves capable of assisting goals at this level.

We’re carrying a better threat from set pieces, be that corners or indirect/direct freekicks. So if a goal from open play isn’t likely due to teams sitting in we can lump corners in towards Nelson and Bradley.

The squad has options in terms of how we could play, yes Warne has shown a preference for a back 3, but we have the options (especially if we do add a couple more) to play 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 3-4-2-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 etc etc. 

I know it’s all opinions but I really don’t get how some fans are so down on the season before it’s started. We’ve got a better balance, which has helped provide better depth, there’s some viable options in the u21s which should help with rest and rotation at times, the peak age of the squad as been improved. Yes a couple of very talented individuals have moved on, but we’ve got a squad of committed players all working towards a shared goal….plenty to be optimistic about for me 

It was a few years ago, of course, but the last time Waghorn played in league 1 he had a good season for both goals and assists. He was so influential at the time that a Championship playoff contender paid a few mill for him!

I don’t know what level he can play at again, but if we sign him as a squad player, I’ll be happy. League 1 defenders are inconsistent, and Waggy has some ability. 

1 minute ago, r4derby said:

It was a few years ago, of course, but the last time Waghorn played in league 1 he had a good season for both goals and assists. He was so influential at the time that a Championship playoff contender paid a few mill for him!

I don’t know what level he can play at again, but if we sign him as a squad player, I’ll be happy. League 1 defenders are inconsistent, and Waggy has some ability. 

Waghorn has never played in League 1. We signed him on the back of 16 goals and 13 assists for Ipswich when they finished 12 in the Championship.

I’m not necessarily down as I think we will be tough to beat. I guess my point is that teams will set up to defend against us and in McGoldrick’s absence, we don’t have that little bit of quality to make space.

All of the players touted as potential goalscorers missed a hatful last season. You don’t become a natural goal scorer overnight.

I just think we need a bit of pace alongside Collins and a midfielder prepared to make late runs and pick up a few goals.

85% of the team is sound.

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I just think we need a bit of pace alongside Collins and a midfielder prepared to make late runs and pick up a few goals.

Max Bird, played in a more advanced position compared to how he's been used (or mis-used) so far, is more than capable of fulfilling that midfield role. We need to take the shackles off him.

Edited by Wolfie20

14 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

All of the players touted as potential goalscorers missed a hatful last season. You don’t become a natural goal scorer overnight.

It doesn’t always have to be natural though. Part of it is down to effort, taking on a shot, putting themselves in the right position. That can be coached and/or directed.

All goalscorers miss chances, even McGoldrick who seems to have that natural ability you talk of. Taking Collins as an example, he did miss chances, but he also scored 11 in the league some of which were very good finishes. If Warne tells him to play in the 18 yard box, and sets the team up to get him chances can you honestly say you don’t think he scores more than 11? 
He has limitations for sure, and isn’t getting any younger, but he was relegated to second fiddle at times last year and missed games due to suspension. He’s got something like 200 career goals so he must have something about him.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

5 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Readings Signings potentially being de-registered by EFL, Lewis Wing and Sam Smith anybody? 

They’re two I would have been pretty happy with, do you know of any interest prior to them joining Reading?

If we were interested and they chose Reading then I’d move on to other targets, if we weren’t interested before then I’d be surprised if anything has changed should they become available again.