Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Had you heard anymore regarding Rhodes? I guess if he was due to sign and it hasn’t happened then either us, the player or Hudds have had a change of mind?

I don’t mind if we are going to go into the season with 1 more striker to go with Washington, Collins & Brown as 4th choice, I just think that we might need a younger, more current striker to fill that last spot instead. I’d be happy with Rhodes joining, but I think we’d still be short in that area. 

Only one creative number 10 coming in indicates we will be playing 2 up top, so even if we brought in Rhodes +1, over the course of the season there’s still plenty of opportunities for Brown to show what he’s got.

This was my thinking especially alongside the Thompson/Robinson comments.

It’ll be 3-5-2. Three central midfielders, maybe one advanced, one sitting a bit, with two strikers.

For me that makes it all the more imperative that we bring in a quality centre forward. I’m not sure where the cash from Knight/Bielik has gone or what Clowes really meant when he said we had a good budget, but surely there that is an area we should be looking to spend in?

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Slight update, 1 more Striker in on a permanent deal, with Dajaune Brown given the first few games to see how he performs. Warne a massive fan of him and wants to use him as the 4th striker. However a loan striker is not off the cards. Creative number 10 looks like it’ll be a loan. Robinson and Thommo impressive and will be rotating in that midfield 2/3

any names on the striker?

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

It’ll be 3-5-2. Three central midfielders, maybe one advanced, one sitting a bit, with two strikers.

For me that makes it all the more imperative that we bring in a quality centre forward. I’m not sure where the cash from Knight/Bielik has gone or what Clowes really meant when he said we had a good budget, but surely there that is an area we should be looking to spend in?

Begs the question where that leaves NML and Barkz? Wingbacks? Neither looked accomplished. Or bench warmers who can come on if we want to play with 2 wide men. 

I know we could switch to 343 so maybe that’s their input, but if what Big Trav says is correct it leaves is short and unbalanced.

It's shaping up to be a very typical derby transfer window.

Starts of promising and ends up flat.

Assuming Big Trav is right (and I'm starting to have my doubts with an ever changing story), something has happened since Clowes said we had a large budget (certainly big enough to get out this division). Did it rub up the EFL the wrong way or maybe Wycombe again?

I refuse to believe that in a season where promotion is massive for this club, Warne is voluntarily placing his trust in 2 maybe 3 strikers plus 30 and a 17 year old who has shown promise, against Salford, Chesterfield and Matlock.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Assuming Big Trav is right (and I'm starting to have my doubts with an ever changing story), something has happened since Clowes said we had a large budget (certainly big enough to get out this division). Did it rub up the EFL the wrong way or maybe Wycombe again?

I refuse to believe that in a season where promotion is massive for this club, Warne is voluntarily placing his trust in 2 maybe 3 strikers plus 30 and a 17 year old who has shown promise, against Salford, Chesterfield and Matlock.

Yeah I don’t understand it either, this season fills like do or die for warne for me as well. If not at least challenging the top two this season then would make a change as soon as that’s looking very unlikely.

Defence looks excellent, midfield and forwards much weaker than last season. Scoring goals was the issue more than keeping them out last year.

didn’t we work out smith, bird and hourihane was a horrible midfield last year? With Thompson to freshen it up.

Hopefully proved wrong and all works out.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Only 2 or 3 more incomings with 2 of them being loans. 

Gives some credence to the possibility of the budget being no bigger this season.

Or we are holding back funds to actually strengthen in January window for a change.

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think Big Trav can only say what he has been told and even then would need to be careful.  Sometimes things change, this could be the case with Rhodes and BT did hold his hand up to that. I do agree that we lack fire power, unfortunatly that is the one area thats has high demand and high prices. I would not be suprised if Clowes or Warne have walked away from some deals due to cost. 

We McG last year who did very well, the best season of his career, but the chances of a repeat would have been low based on the rest of his career. Firepower, or the lack of it, is an issue we have had for a long time

Just because we have money doesn't mean we have to spend it all right now. Perhaps despite the budget we have there isn't the right value for money out there for us in the market?

This time last year we were neck deep in the consequences of an owner spending for the sake of it. Now our new owner wont spend for the sake of it people are whingeing about it. 

I trust Clowes and the club setup as it stands to make the right decisions for the club in the long term.

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Transfer window isn't over yet fellas. Like I said on another thread, it's musical chairs now I reckon.

I think the ability to spend fees is probably there, but we'll only spend if we feel it's absolutely necessary.

There are more expensive signings who would be 'nice to have' but if we believe that we can bring in a less flashy player to successfully accomplish our aims without spending a transfer fee, we'll choose that route.

Say we spend £1.25m of a £1.5m budget on a striker &/or a No. 10 in this window, but then Bird (having his most influential season to date) does his ACL in November and is out for the season, does the remaining £250k cut it in terms of finding a suitable replacement? If not that's our season buggered - we could have the best striker in the league but if our midfield balance gets mucked up it would be for naught.

26 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Agreed. If it’s going to be Collins or Washington plus another then I’m not sure Rhodes propels our striking force to another level. If it was Rhodes + new, then Washington & Collins as second choice then it might be different.

Regarding the budget, I’d guess there’s a few hundred k there for the right player, but it doesn’t necessarily mean transfer funds. We could’ve got players like Bradley through a bigger signing on fee/agent fee. We might get some loanees through a loan fee that other clubs can’t offer. None of our loanees last year were overly amazing, but that’s what you get when you can offer the loaning club £0.

Our spending capabilities still eclipse most other League One clubs, even without paying a transfer fee. There’s no standout team this year so this is a good opportunity to use that advantage to our benefit.

If Warne and the club are happy to go into the season with that being the case, that's fine. I personally feel its very light and would mean injurie could be catastrophic. I'd say we need at least 3-4, possibly even more factoring that a number of our squad have been unreliable with injuries. 

We had 6 of our 16 senior outfield players injured last night, for example. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Andrew Moran PLEASE and thank you. He's not gone on their pre-season tour ahead of a possible loan👀

I think you're the only person other than me to mention him this summer.

Back in December, @Macintosh told us Rosenior had lined him up as a January loan signing and described him as "Brighton's best ever prospect"

He's a versatile player, having played CM, both wings, and CF. Scored 10 and assisted 6 for Brighton in 19 U21 games, mostly at CF, but a few games on the wing.

Here's a Youtube video from a couple of years ago.

I don't understand all the negative wrist slashing over the supposed decision to see how Brown starts the season. The transfer deadline is 1st September, before which we have 6 competitive and 2 fairly competitive pre season games to play. Brown will be given enough involvement in these games to show whether he is ready to contribute to the team.

If he isn't up to it then then we can get someone in on the deadline day merry go round, if it's good enough for everyone else then surely it's good enough for Derby. On the other hand, if he shows signs that he is good enough, we will not only be saving wages on another signing/loan, but also helping develop one of our academy players, which is the whole point of the academy.

Had we had been able to bring players in, the likes of Ebowei likely would not have had their first team chance, unfortunately those same circumstances prevented us from getting the full benefit from him.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If Warne and the club are happy to go into the season with that being the case, that's fine. I personally feel its very light and would mean injurie could be catastrophic. I'd say we need at least 3-4, possibly even more factoring that a number of our squad have been unreliable with injuries. 

We had 6 of our 16 senior outfield players injured last night, for example. 

we are a very top heavy team, we will have big earners at this level so following a business plan would probably mean we will have to have a tiny squad to afford to pay such players

its another issue with so many of the older players we signed last summer

Edited by alram

The squad was lightweight even with Knight, Dobbin, Mcgoldrick last season. 

Haven't replaced any of these players IMO. The lack of attacking options is woeful, unbelievable amount of pressure on Hourihane and Ward to get the assists, let alone us score some goals..

Charlie Savage surely worth a loan? 

Edited by Papahet

24 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I think the ability to spend fees is probably there, but we'll only spend if we feel it's absolutely necessary.

There are more expensive signings who would be 'nice to have' but if we believe that we can bring in a less flashy player to successfully accomplish our aims without spending a transfer fee, we'll choose that route.

Say we spend £1.25m of a £1.5m budget on a striker &/or a No. 10 in this window, but then Bird (having his most influential season to date) does his ACL in November and is out for the season, does the remaining £250k cut it in terms of finding a suitable replacement? If not that's our season buggered - we could have the best striker in the league but if our midfield balance gets mucked up it would be for naught.

Quite - It shows you many people's approach to budgeting - I have £500, I must go and spend £500 as soon as possible. Worry about the rainy day when it rains.....