Summer Rumour Mill

sage

36 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

FWIW I think Didzy would be mad to go elsewhere based on on-pitch aspects. He's clearly loved by fans and management alike, playing in a system that suits him as demonstrated by his most prolific season in his long career. Also, we're obviously looking for promotion and all things being equal, we should be a force to be reckoned with next season whereas Notts County are likely to be looking to stabilise after promotion. Why would you take the risk of playing a different system for a club in a very different position...?

Obviously we have no idea what's going on off the pitch. Loyalty, logistics, money, etc - all unknowns really. 

Either way, he seems a really decent fella and I wish him the best in whatever he choses to do. 

i would rather play for the rams than man utd 

This is no way aimed at being a criticism of McGoldrick - I thought he was outstanding last season and a delight to watch most games - but statistically the chances of him repeating last season's goals return next season slim. Perhaps what we need to focus on is having a trio of attacking players (I think we will play 3-4-1-2 next season, especially at home) capable of scoring 50 league goals among them. Didzy might not be the perfect fit for that?

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The transfer window has been open for just under ten hours at this point and we have signed nobody.

Sack the board. Sack the new fella from Oxford. Sack Warne. Fire someone in to the sun on the next SpaceX rocket

It wouldn't make it.

49 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

He might support them but he got a club and fans got his back.

So if you were a pro footballer coming to the end of a good career, out of contract, who just scored 20 goals for say West brom. The fans voted you player of the year and you enjoyed the season and played well and all your fellow pros loved you....... then Derby in the division delow came in for you with a 2 year deal, possibly the last chance to play for the club you love you would dismiss it immediately and not even listen to the offer Derby put forward?

48 minutes ago, KBB said:

So if you were a pro footballer coming to the end of a good career, out of contract, who just scored 20 goals for say West brom. The fans voted you player of the year and you enjoyed the season and played well and all your fellow pros loved you....... then Derby in the division delow came in for you with a 2 year deal, possibly the last chance to play for the club you love you would dismiss it immediately and not even listen to the offer Derby put forward?

Well for me loyalty comes from for a club play for who to say that once gain promation he could still finish playing club he supports.

I downloaded Wyscout for a trial run to see if it’s something that I would find of interest so did a little bit of a deep dive on the players we have been linked with so far. 

Anyone that knows the Wyscout platform will already be aware it’s an absolutely fascinating and groundbreaking tool for scouting players and teams. 

The most notable data point I came away with was that Ruben Rodrigues made the most ‘smart passes’ in the country last season with 131. A smart pass is defined as: A creative and penetrative pass that attempts to break the opposition's defensive lines to gain a significant advantage in attack.

To give you a reference point of just how high that is, not a single player in League Two had more than 40. Chaplin and Bannan ran away with it in League One with 58 each, third had 39. Mendez-Laing had 16 as our best midfielder in that regard, Knight second with just 12. The app also clips videos of several different indicators for each match - 40 minutes dedicated to just Ruben Rodrigues touches, 175 videos. He’s a talented football, a little bit of a grafter and based on what I’ve seen I would be surprised if he didn’t make the step up comfortably. The only reference point that I felt fell short was his impact on the counter attack, but he’s definitely got a bit of physicality. I think with a full, professional pre-season then he genuinely could be a diamond at this level. 

Edited by Ambitious

11 hours ago, Diego said:

He would have committed to us by now. I’m resigned to him going. 

Winning run or not, we don’t tolerate defeatism and subversion on here ! 

He’s staying, we are signing a youthful striker, no one has heard of from the national league and Didsy will be Cantona Mark 2 to this young blade as they score 40 between them as DCFC March back up 

On 30/05/2023 at 08:34, U.M. said:

I’d add Mark Wright to those 3.

He was the big transfer fee of the deal with Southampton, Shilton probably bigger wages.

Thought he was a classy defender, had a way of organising the defence around him.

And I think we made money on him too.

Totally id throw ooo mark wright in there.

was outstanding for us 

On 30/05/2023 at 08:24, maydrakin said:

I thought his contract was worth £1m, so we were paying him that over a three year contract…

I just remember as a kid sat watching bbc breakfast news before school and it came up on national tv that derby county had signed some guy called dean saunders for a club record 1m pounds.

i remember running upstairs to tell dad who didnt believe me til he saw it himself 

i was too young to know or find out the intricacies of the deal

so just always thought it was a 1m pound fee straight up 

41 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I just remember as a kid sat watching bbc breakfast news before school and it came up on national tv that derby county had signed some guy called dean saunders for a club record 1m pounds.

i remember running upstairs to tell dad who didnt believe me til he saw it himself 

i was too young to know or find out the intricacies of the deal

so just always thought it was a 1m pound fee straight up 

The coment by @maydrakin was refering to Shilton. saunders was our first 1M signing.

I've been looking into right backs/wing backs who could be within our range this summer. 

I don't know how realistic it is, but I would love to see us pull out all the stops for Joel Latibeaudiere. If we are going with a 3-4-3(5-2-3) formation going forward then he is the prototypical right wing back that ticks all the boxes. 

I had a look at total actions and their success rate, as well as ball recoveries and losses, with an emphasis on losses in own half and recoveries in opposition half, on a few names that have been banded around on here from players in League One and some out of contract players. Latibeaudiere faired the best by some distance. Sam Byram and Lewis Coyle were decent. Sean Clare also faired better than I expected. 

Reagan Poole, Shaun Rooney, Josh Key and Fankaty Dabo were the other names but all seemed to have a high failure rate. Poole, Rooney and Key were all close to 50% - albeit on the right side of the line. It could be argued, of course, that it's because they're a product of their environment - all three in mid-table or struggling sides. 

55 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've been looking into right backs/wing backs who could be within our range this summer. 

I don't know how realistic it is, but I would love to see us pull out all the stops for Joel Latibeaudiere. If we are going with a 3-4-3(5-2-3) formation going forward then he is the prototypical right wing back that ticks all the boxes. 

I had a look at total actions and their success rate, as well as ball recoveries and losses, with an emphasis on losses in own half and recoveries in opposition half, on a few names that have been banded around on here from players in League One and some out of contract players. Latibeaudiere faired the best by some distance. Sam Byram and Lewis Coyle were decent. Sean Clare also faired better than I expected. 

Reagan Poole, Shaun Rooney, Josh Key and Fankaty Dabo were the other names but all seemed to have a high failure rate. Poole, Rooney and Key were all close to 50% - albeit on the right side of the line. It could be argued, of course, that it's because they're a product of their environment - all three in mid-table or struggling sides. 

Keep going with these posts, I'm enjoying them and find them useful.

30 minutes ago, Rev said:

Keep going with these posts, I'm enjoying them and find them useful.

I started looking into left backs and have put a list together - it's a little more tricky. Haydon Roberts, unsurprisingly, comes out pretty well and the progression in his game towards the back end of the season was evident. Ben Osborn looks extremely competent on the left side of the back 5/midfield 4. When playing at left back/left wing back (653 minutes last season) he had 47 ball recoveries - 7.2 per 90 - almost half of them came in the opposition half which was/is an outlier for the players I'm looking into. Worth noting Sam Byram played a lot (relative to his minutes on the pitch) on the left this season and did well which could be useful for a player who can cover multiple positions and well. 

A little bit of a curveball on a very limited sample size is a player we were linked with last season: Armstrong Oko-Flex. Now, his production on the wing wasn't anything to write home about, but the games he played at wing back (both on the left and the right) did show some promise - more so at right wing back. 

Callum Elder, who has been mentioned, also performed well under these indicators. Very similar to Haydon Roberts, actually, especially when comparing their league one seasons.