What would be your dream job?

ziggyram59

On 13/05/2023 at 10:23, ziggyram59 said:

Awe really sorry to hear that Sally Pepper been made redundant. 

Not sure all that many of her former colleagues agree, but nevertheless any redundancy is very unfortunate, of course.

As for jobs... I'm just going to say, something to do with caring for animals.

Edited by Kokosnuss

I'm now retired , but I spent a good whack of time as a marine engineer , working for P&O cargo division . 

I only ever wanted to be a musician / guitarist , but my fingers were short and fat , rather than long and slender - boo hoo !

Surely a footballer would be the dream job? A decent one that is.

I mean, it’s not just that they are paid ridiculous sums, they get preferential treatment, access to the most exclusive places, access to best training facilities. In terms of health, they super fit and healthy.

Football is fun too. It’s not like swimming where it’s just an individual grind. Or tennis while fun, there is so much travel and being an individual sport, close friends and personal relationships are probably limited.

Football is a team sport, there isn’t a great deal of travel involved, plenty of opportunities to form great friends and enjoy free time. 

I love water sports though, so probably a world class surfer would be my dream job. 

23 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Surely a footballer would be the dream job? A decent one that is.

I mean, it’s not just that they are paid ridiculous sums, they get preferential treatment, access to the most exclusive places, access to best training facilities. In terms of health, they super fit and healthy.

Football is fun too. It’s not like swimming where it’s just an individual grind. Or tennis while fun, there is so much travel and being an individual sport, close friends and personal relationships are probably limited.

Football is a team sport, there isn’t a great deal of travel involved, plenty of opportunities to form great friends and enjoy free time. 

I love water sports though, so probably a world class surfer would be my dream job. 

The only thing that would put me off wanting to be a footballer is how it's frowned upon if you want a foreign holiday when you should still be training every day. 😀

On 12/05/2023 at 12:34, Anon said:

I'd prefer no job, so it would have to be something that required me to do absolutely nothing where nobody would care about my lack of results. Probably a position in the civil service.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56822571

Having done 35 years in the military. I now work in the civil service. I would like to say every body gets on your back if you don't produce and you don't get paid very well. Admittedly my position is training of military engineers so nothing to do with government. But trust me, they do care about their pound of flesh for no reward.

Growing up, I really wanted to be a writer. I thought English and football were the only good "talents" I had in school. Nowadays I am finding myself spending more time outside and enjoying gardening in the summer. When you're working on screens all day for a job, going home and watching TV really doesn't excite me unless it's football.

Definitely would have my own plot of land, have a little shop selling food I've grown myself or from a local supplier. Only need a few million quid to get me going!

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Barrister, in the area of crime not corporate, if I had my time again I would work my butt off at school to get there🤷🏻‍♂️

Don't give up. I reckon you'll be able to become a criminal barrister after a 10 week course soon. Only dowside will be the minimum wage.

27 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Don't give up. I reckon you'll be able to become a criminal barrister after a 10 week course soon. Only dowside will be the minimum wage.

The only downside would be having to defend anyone I believed guilty , not sure I could cope with that side of things,

when I worked as a councillor within prison s I was offered a post working with sex offenders but couldn’t do it , probably a weakness on my part , I felt I couldn’t put feelings aside and be professional enough though I take my hat off to those who can 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

• 3 weeks later...

Having read what I’ve just read, in another thread, I’m gutted I never became Neil Warnock’s hairdresser.  I didn’t even know such a post existed!  
THAT is now my dream job!  
I bet he has it done at home, pays at least £30, and dishes out mugs of tea and biscuits on a plate. 
Fantastic!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2023 at 12:16, Anon said:

Dream job = no job.

I think that almost anything would become mundane if you had to spend 40 hours a week doing it. Maybe some radio DJs do actually really like their jobs, but I feel that the chummy "banter" that goes on in the studio often sounds forced and not at all genuine. Also, being required to play the absolute guff that my audience of philistines wanted to hear would anger me greatly. The audience engagement too, I don't think I could read Jeff from Belper's tweet about a town bypass without falling asleep.

I did love my job but I prefer retirement.

Today is my first day. 😀

Edited by cstand