Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

We don't know who our real targets are.

...but there are certain players who you would hope / expect us to be interested in and competing for, players who would strengthen one of our competitors should that be their destination.

Alfie May would be one of those players, I'd have thought?

That's not to say that there aren't other players (the ones on our super secret signings list... supposedly) who couldn't come here and do better than him, be a better fit for how Warne wants to play etc.

Plus signing players just so they don't go elsewhere, even though we have no real use for them is the way to disaster!

However, nobody has as yet put forward a realistic list of players we could sign who'd fulfill that criteria, so of course there's going to a certain level of tetchiness IF good players we know are/were available  get snapped up by our rivals.

Edited by Kokosnuss

24 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

However, nobody has as yet put forward a realistic list of players we could sign who'd fulfill that criteria, so of course there's going to a certain level of tetchiness IF good players we know are/were available  get snapped up by our rivals.

There’s plenty of speculation, rumour and suggestion across multiple threads on the forum. Alfie May as one of the rumoured players could be a good option, scored well at this level in a relatively poor Cheltenham side for a couple of seasons now, does he fit the system Warne will want to play? We don’t know. Is Warne interested in singing him? We don’t know. He possibly should be if the price is right.

There’s a couple of free agent forwards at this level, the couple of names from Cambridge, Stockton, but some people don’t seem keen on them for one reason or another. 

Lee Bonis is the one I’m most intrigued by, the new recruitment fella has sourced players from Ireland with some success in the past. He’s young, scored and assisted well for his team this season and is a good age. But then the usual counter arguments would also come out of is that league comparable, would he make the step up etc.

I’ll wait and see who we do sign, and how they look on the pitch in a Derby shirt before I start to panic. It’s that bit I don’t get. Certain posters are taking the rumoured missing out on rumoured targets as justification to panic and attack Warne, it’s odd.

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There’s plenty of speculation, rumour and suggestion across multiple threads on the forum. Alfie May as one of the rumoured players could be a good option, scored well at this level in a relatively poor Cheltenham side for a couple of seasons now, does he fit the system Warne will want to play? We don’t know. Is Warne interested in singing him? We don’t know. He possibly should be if the price is right.

There’s a couple of free agent forwards at this level, the couple of names from Cambridge, Stockton, but some people don’t seem keen on them for one reason or another. 

Lee Bonis is the one I’m most intrigued by, the new recruitment fella has sourced players from Ireland with some success in the past. He’s young, scored and assisted well for his team this season and is a good age. But then the usual counter arguments would also come out of is that league comparable, would he make the step up etc.

I’ll wait and see who we do sign, and how they look on the pitch in a Derby shirt before I start to panic. It’s that bit I don’t get. Certain posters are taking the rumoured missing out on rumoured targets as justification to panic and attack Warne, it’s odd.

It’s silly season again isn’t it, the bed wetting and shear hysteria comes around every June- August. 
What will be will be, whoever we sign is welcome to PP and those that chose alternative employers 🤷🏻

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

And who is Darren Witcoop?

Is that a real name?

We’ve been through this before. It’s a typo. There was a photo in the Huddersfield Examiner from 1929 showing a player holding a darts trophy .. The headline was “Team Captain, Darren with the Cup” but clearly as West Yorkshire has its own individual speech patterns, time has altered this headline to “Darren Witcoop” 

17 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There’s plenty of speculation, rumour and suggestion across multiple threads on the forum. Alfie May as one of the rumoured players could be a good option, scored well at this level in a relatively poor Cheltenham side for a couple of seasons now, does he fit the system Warne will want to play? We don’t know. Is Warne interested in singing him? We 

It's the usual handful of myopic suspects - poor souls just can't help themselves 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Anything to fit the narrative eh? I can’t wait for when we do sign some players and you start to find a new and exciting angle to slate the manager

Do you think it will happen CR ? ....leopards and all that ? 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Wignall12 said:

Do you think it will happen CR ? ....leopards and all that ? 🤣🤣

My suspicion is when we start to sign some players, those with genuine concerns currently about the state of the squad will be appeased, some will still be wary, others will be content and some will continue their campaign of hate towards Warne regardless.
It’ll go something along the lines of “yes we’ve signed a player but player x is a clogger, isn’t good enough to wear the shirt, wouldn’t have been signed by x manager, has only been signed because they’re Warne’s mate” all before a ball has been kicked.

13 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

My suspicion is when we start to sign some players, those with genuine concerns currently about the state of the squad will be appeased, some will still be wary, others will be content and some will continue their campaign of hate towards Warne regardless.
It’ll go something along the lines of “yes we’ve signed a player but player x is a clogger, isn’t good enough to wear the shirt, wouldn’t have been signed by x manager, has only been signed because they’re Warne’s mate” all before a ball has been kicked.

Exactly this .......we've got lots of armchair experts , got to say we are probably not the only club to have them , I'm long in the tooth now and utterly pains me to read some of the assenine comments that crop up. Yes those with concerns will see it's not that bad when signings are announced but there's always those that are never satisfied that we ain't signed Messi 

I’m sure about a week ago some media outlets were saying Charlton made a bid for Alfie May.  Of course, it’s very possible that we decided not to bid and if we had I’d have thought the local media would have been all over it.  That would mean that there isn’t a choice to make and he hasn't rejected us as we never gave him the opportunity to.  Doesn’t quite fit the narrative though.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

30 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Exactly this .......we've got lots of armchair experts , got to say we are probably not the only club to have them , I'm long in the tooth now and utterly pains me to read some of the assenine comments that crop up. Yes those with concerns will see it's not that bad when signings are announced but there's always those that are never satisfied that we ain't signed Messi 

Why would we want to sign a midget that’s 36 in a couple of weeks 😂