Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

1 minute ago, walkleyowl said:

But 5k is the max now allowed there.

We have had occasions where they have given the full away end and half the right hand stand as you look at it from the away stand but anyway a decent club 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

We have had occasions where they have given the full away end and half the right hand stand as you look at it from the away stand but anyway a decent club 

Yeah but the stand to the right is now condemned and the stand you are given now reduced by 1k capacity. 

Very decent club, hope you're playing each next season so you can have a little w***

7 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

No need to apologise - its a forum so I'd expect opinions to be challenged, particularly by someone who clearly knows the system better than I do!

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting referees were giving clearly incorrect decisions to impress observers but there is an element of subjectivity with some decisions that don't necessarily fall into correct/incorrect - penalty calls being the most obvious. It clearly takes courage to award decisions against a hostile large home crowd, courage is a key trait for a successful refereeing career & that may be a factor with those marginal calls.

As I said in my previous post, I don't believe it is a conspiracy against Derby specifically but there is a lot of noise from the bigger clubs at this level about the refereeing hence my theory. Just with regard to impressing observers with decisions made in hostile environments, clearly incorrect decisions didn't do Stuart Atwell's career much harm - interested in your thoughts on his trajectory.

I ref at a low level (senior county) but work with refs at a higher level and it's hard enough, getting things spot on every time at the speed of something like the Championship or L1 is impossible. That's why I always supported the introduction of VAR (yes, I know, but it's not the technology that's the problem). 

Atwell is a funny one. No Derby fan will forgive him for Miles Addison while no fans of other teams will forget the "ghost" goals. Yet if we can count on one hand the terrible mistakes, we'd need a lot more fingers to count the perfectly decent games he's had. He's actually a decent referee who has also benefited in a sector where there isn't a huge amount of competition. As humans, we all make mistakes at work and get things wrong, we don't expect to be sacked for the first or even second one. 

The standard of refereeing in L1 has been a disappointment, so much so that when we get a good ref it makes headlines on here. And you may be perfectly right when you say the odd ref might want to stick two fingers up and be the centre of attention by awarding a controversial for the decision just for the sake of it.

But broadly I'd prefer to think that in the heat of the moment and in the speed of the game (which may not seem so in the stands but is lightning fast on the pitch) they give it as they see it (rightly or wrongly) as opposed to being deliberately provocative by giving incorrect decisions. And because they're not a great standard (part time, not as much training as professional refs) yet we still hold them to the same account through the use of TV and slo-mo to professional PL and Champ refs, poor decisions are magnified.

I think the bigger clubs make more noise because for them a) it's more important to them and b) they are used to better at a higher level.

26 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I ref at a low level (senior county) but work with refs at a higher level and it's hard enough, getting things spot on every time at the speed of something like the Championship or L1 is impossible. That's why I always supported the introduction of VAR (yes, I know, but it's not the technology that's the problem). 

Atwell is a funny one. No Derby fan will forgive him for Miles Addison while no fans of other teams will forget the "ghost" goals. Yet if we can count on one hand the terrible mistakes, we'd need a lot more fingers to count the perfectly decent games he's had. He's actually a decent referee who has also benefited in a sector where there isn't a huge amount of competition. As humans, we all make mistakes at work and get things wrong, we don't expect to be sacked for the first or even second one. 

The standard of refereeing in L1 has been a disappointment, so much so that when we get a good ref it makes headlines on here. And you may be perfectly right when you say the odd ref might want to stick two fingers up and be the centre of attention by awarding a controversial for the decision just for the sake of it.

But broadly I'd prefer to think that in the heat of the moment and in the speed of the game (which may not seem so in the stands but is lightning fast on the pitch) they give it as they see it (rightly or wrongly) as opposed to being deliberately provocative by giving incorrect decisions. And because they're not a great standard (part time, not as much training as professional refs) yet we still hold them to the same account through the use of TV and slo-mo to professional PL and Champ refs, poor decisions are magnified.

I think the bigger clubs make more noise because for them a) it's more important to them and b) they are used to better at a higher level.

What happened to that lady who reffed at PP a few weeks ago? From memory she was good.

3 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

Yeah but the stand to the right is now condemned and the stand you are given now reduced by 1k capacity. 

Very decent club, hope you're playing each next season so you can have a little w***

Shouldn't you pop off to owlstalk chap? 

I know it's a tough time for you with Sheff United getting promotion whilst you bottled automatics.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

I accept referees make mistakes as we  all only human but my gripe is not clamping down on blatant time wasting in 

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Shouldn't you pop off to owlstalk chap? 

I know it's a tough time for you with Sheff United getting promotion whilst you bottled automatics.

I'd rather s*** in mi hands and clap than post on Owlstalk, what can we do, supporters suffer the hard times as well as the good.